Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on March 17, 2020, 02:06:35 PM
Finland started to take political actions this week and it feels like we are at war against Corona. I'm nervous for my dad, 81 who is alone home avoiding all social contacts. I don't care about US politics right now. I have enough problems in my life. I feel my "quota" is full. I concentrate on my own well-being now. Sure, Finland is a well-functioning society with good infrastructure to deal with problems like this, but it's serious nevertheless. Just week ago my life was quite normal. Now I am planning my grocery store visits to minimaze interactions with other people... ...so I have no energy and interest to follow "latest polls" in primary states etc. stuff.

Fuck China for creating this mess!

I can certainly understand the feeling. I do hope things will be on the upswing. All the best to you and your loved ones, Poju.

mc ukrneal

Here is another explanation for the psychology of resisting social/physical distancing (I agree with the article -  I dislike the term social distancing):
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/crowded-bars-and-theme-parks-why-won-t-some-people-practice-social-distancing-during-coronavirus-outbreak/ar-BB11hsfy?ocid=msedgntp
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Holden

Things have continued  to develop here in Australia.

This morning the PM and his chief health officer told the public that schools would not be closing which is very sensible given that a school is, in effect, a contained environment as opposed to being out in the public arena. The crowd limit is now 500 (outside) and 100 (inside) for non-essential gatherings. Essential gatherings include schools, shopping centres, hospitals, etc.

He also took a swipe at the 'hoarders' describing it as unAustralian! He has also told Aussies not to travel overseas. Anyone entering Australia is required to go into immediate 14 day self-isolation or be deported.

Cheers

Holden

71 dB

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 17, 2020, 04:11:42 PM
I wish all of the best for you, your family, friends, and country.  We're all facing uncharted waters and it's scary; you're not alone.

Best wishes,

PD

Thanks!  0:)

Quote from: drogulus on March 17, 2020, 04:37:15 PM
          That's disappointing. I hope you come back with a sword in your hand.

I really believed in Bernie's changes and before the establishment got behind Biden things looked good. Fighting the whole establishment was too much. Money won again. people and the planet lost again. Progressives are TOTALLY demoralized by this. We don't see hope at all. The establishment just has almost all the power in the oligarchy. I don't know what to do. That's why I concentrate on my own life.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 17, 2020, 05:41:00 PM
Best wishes, Poju!

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 17, 2020, 05:56:15 PM
I can certainly understand the feeling. I do hope things will be on the upswing. All the best to you and your loved ones, Poju.

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

drogulus

NYC has 100 new cases in the last few hours. Earlier today they had 2 deaths, now it's 10.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Mirror Image

Quote from: drogulus on March 17, 2020, 07:29:58 PM
     NYC has 100 new cases in the last few hours. Earlier today they had 2 deaths, now it's 10.

But what are the ages of the people who have died?

drogulus

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 17, 2020, 07:39:35 PM
But what are the ages of the people who have died?

That's all I know.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Mirror Image

Quote from: drogulus on March 17, 2020, 08:18:34 PM

That's all I know.

Age is something that should be reported on as this is a part of the statistics.

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on March 17, 2020, 02:06:35 PM
Finland started to take political actions this week and it feels like we are at war against Corona. I'm nervous for my dad, 81 who is alone home avoiding all social contacts. I don't care about US politics right now. I have enough problems in my life. I feel my "quota" is full. I concentrate on my own well-being now. Sure, Finland is a well-functioning society with good infrastructure to deal with problems like this, but it's serious nevertheless. Just week ago my life was quite normal. Now I am planning my grocery store visits to minimaze interactions with other people... ...so I have no energy and interest to follow "latest polls" in primary states etc. stuff.

Fuck China for creating this mess!

I hope that you and your dad remains safe and well. I'm sure that Finland will deal,with this crisis as effectively as anywhere.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Crudblud

Thanks to all who sent wishes for swift recovery earlier in the thread. My cough is not as bad today, but definitely still there. My temperature remains normal, my hands remain clean, though I must admit the paranoid new rate of handwashing is taking its toll on my eczema—now there's an underlying condition they didn't label "at risk"!

drogulus

This is from May, 2018:

Top White House official in charge of pandemic response exits abruptly

The top White House official responsible for leading the U.S. response in the event of a deadly pandemic has left the administration, and the global health security team he oversaw has been disbanded under a reorganization by national security adviser John Bolton.

The abrupt departure of Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer from the National Security Council means no senior administration official is now focused solely on global health security. Ziemer's departure, along with the breakup of his team, comes at a time when many experts say the country is already underprepared for the increasing risks of a pandemic or bioterrorism attack.

Irons

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 17, 2020, 08:19:45 PM
Age is something that should be reported on as this is a part of the statistics.

Please God, I don't want to be a statistic.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

T. D.

Quote from: drogulus on March 18, 2020, 05:22:39 AM
     This is from May, 2018:

Top White House official in charge of pandemic response exits abruptly

The top White House official responsible for leading the U.S. response in the event of a deadly pandemic has left the administration, and the global health security team he oversaw has been disbanded under a reorganization by national security adviser John Bolton.

The abrupt departure of Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer from the National Security Council means no senior administration official is now focused solely on global health security. Ziemer's departure, along with the breakup of his team, comes at a time when many experts say the country is already underprepared for the increasing risks of a pandemic or bioterrorism attack.

This was reported and publicly revisited several days ago. Bolton dismissed it as raving by "the angry left".

drogulus

Seth Rogen Gets High and Live Tweets 'Cats' So We Don't Have To

Yeah, baby!

Quote from: T. D. on March 18, 2020, 08:16:02 AM
This was reported and publicly revisited several days ago. Bolton dismissed it as raving by "the angry left".

Yes, there was an article by a Trump official claiming no such thing happened in a kind of nondenial denial way, just people being reassigned, consolidation, cost cutting, so on. That's a diversion posing as a refutation.

Ratliff

The one bit of reassuring news I see is the new infections in China has dropped dramatically, essentially to nil, and that the authorities are comfortable enough to remove the general lockdown that has been in effect. "Social distancing" is still practiced.

This suggests it is within the realm of possibility to contain this, albeit by implementing draconian measures.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 18, 2020, 09:37:52 AM
The one bit of reassuring news I see is the new infections in China has dropped dramatically, essentially to nil, and that the authorities are comfortable enough to remove the general lockdown that has been in effect. "Social distancing" is still practiced.

This suggests it is within the realm of possibility to contain this, albeit by implementing draconian measures.

And the Chinese people have, in a sense, the advantage of us, as they have more experience of draconian measures. Something which, no, I do not envy them.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

All UK schools closing on Friday but provision is being made for vulnerable children and the children of health workers to stay on. I'm going to have to deliver my lessons by remote access which I'm not looking forward to. I still think that the government, which I do not generally support, were right to keep the schools open as long as possible and I'm glad that there is increasing awareness of the plight of children from abusive homes. Schools may still provide meals for vulnerable children. All public examinations are cancelled. I told my young History class today to be aware, as historians, of the significance of the historical time, worrying though it is, that they are living through.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51952314
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

prémont

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 18, 2020, 09:49:06 AM
And the Chinese people have, in a sense, the advantage of us, as they have more experience of draconian measures. Something which, no, I do not envy them.

:laugh: :laugh: :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 17, 2020, 08:19:45 PM

Why?