Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

Scumbag Sec. Pompeo is intensifying sanctions on Iran as the death toll mounts. Putting ethics on the back burner for a minute, how is this smart? Now put it on the front burner (I'll allow that). Why should we race the mullahs to be the most evil?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

greg

So yeah... this might be why it's so bad in Italy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNMdg4morQs

This channel is sponsored by the Chinese government. If that guy had a virus then seems to be a deliberate attempt of murdering Europeans by using their own political correctness against them.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on March 19, 2020, 06:03:26 AM

As you may or may not know, we Irish have a somewhat peculiar sense of humour. We use it to lighten our load in times of crises.

With great respect to my UK friends and neighbours, one joke going around here at the moment goes like this:

there are five people on an endangered aeroplane with only four parachutes. Those people are Trump, the Pope, Boris Johnson, Leo Varadkar [Irish Prime Minister] and a 9 year old boy. Trump grabs the first parachute saying I am too important, I need to save America and then jumps. The Pope declares that he is needed to save the Catholic Church, grabs another one and jumps. Boris declares that he is also very much needed, is the most intelligent man in the UK, grabs another one and jumps. Leo turns to the young boy and says I am a lot older than you, I have lived a good life so you take the last one. The young boy answers that it is OK, there are still two parachutes left as the most intelligent man in the UK has just grabbed my schoolbag.

You see, we Irish are no respecters of authority or reputation.  ;D

A nice variant on a joke I've been told before; thanks!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 19, 2020, 08:07:14 AM
A nice variant on a joke I've been told before; thanks!

A Universal Truth   ;D

Daverz

Quote from: greg on March 19, 2020, 07:58:22 AM
So yeah... this might be why it's so bad in Italy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNMdg4morQs

This channel is sponsored by the Chinese government. If that guy had a virus then seems to be a deliberate attempt of murdering Europeans by using their own political correctness against them.

People are legitimately anxious about this pandemic, but for you it's just an opportunity for some childish race-baiting?

71 dB

Quote from: vandermolen on March 17, 2020, 11:00:16 PM
I hope that you and your dad remains safe and well. I'm sure that Finland will deal,with this crisis as effectively as anywhere.

Thanks! I understand UK is taking more serious actions with this. Be safe yourself!
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

greg

Quote from: Daverz on March 19, 2020, 09:14:01 AM
People are legitimately anxious about this pandemic, but for you it's just an opportunity for some childish race-baiting?
What?  ???
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

drogulus

I'm following the French lockdown, and the word is that it's likely to be extended beyond 15 days or whatever it is now, initially by another 15 days. Our Paris hotel is shuttered and our contact Laure sent a form letter that casts doubt that it will reopen soon.

We regret to inform you that Chouette Hotel is closed for an indefinite period.

We can respond to your requests as soon as the establishment reopens.

We ask you, Madam, Sir, to accept our apologies for this situation.

I don't think a trip in May is going to happen.

OK, off to Air France........

US and French travel restrictions permitting, I have months of rescheduling room at no additional cost.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on March 19, 2020, 10:58:24 AM
     I'm following the French lockdown, and the word is that it's likely to be extended beyond 15 days or whatever it is now, initially by another 15 days. Our Paris hotel is shuttered and our contact Laure sent a form letter that casts doubt that it will reopen soon.

We regret to inform you that Chouette Hotel is closed for an indefinite period.

We can respond to your requests as soon as the establishment reopens.

We ask you, Madam, Sir, to accept our apologies for this situation.

I don't think a trip in May is going to happen.

OK, off to Air France........
Sorry to hear about your trip; perhaps things will be radically better by then?  Alas, if you're concerned about getting your deposits/refunds back..... :(
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 19, 2020, 11:07:34 AM
Sorry to hear about your trip; perhaps things will be radically better by then?  Alas, if you're concerned about getting your deposits/refunds back..... :(

No, I don't want money back, I'm interested in how/when the trip will take place.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on March 19, 2020, 11:23:34 AM
     No, I don't want money back, I'm interested in how/when the trip will take place.

Can you change your reservations without incurring lots of big penalties?  Like for the plane tickets?
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on March 19, 2020, 06:03:26 AM

As you may or may not know, we Irish have a somewhat peculiar sense of humour. We use it to lighten our load in times of crises.

With great respect to my UK friends and neighbours, one joke going around here at the moment goes like this:

there are five people on an endangered aeroplane with only four parachutes. Those people are Trump, the Pope, Boris Johnson, Leo Varadkar [Irish Prime Minister] and a 9 year old boy. Trump grabs the first parachute saying I am too important, I need to save America and then jumps. The Pope declares that he is needed to save the Catholic Church, grabs another one and jumps. Boris declares that he is also very much needed, is the most intelligent man in the UK, grabs another one and jumps. Leo turns to the young boy and says I am a lot older than you, I have lived a good life so you take the last one. The young boy answers that it is OK, there are still two parachutes left as the most intelligent man in the UK has just grabbed my schoolbag.

You see, we Irish are no respecters of authority or reputation.  ;D
Haha. That's very funny Fergus and made me smile.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

drogulus

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 19, 2020, 11:26:59 AM
Can you change your reservations without incurring lots of big penalties?  Like for the plane tickets?

Did you not hear me? We can't give out no information.

Yes, I can reschedule with no penalty.

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 19, 2020, 04:59:02 AM
What kind of technical support do you have from your school in terms of training?  And/or perhaps some of the gents on hear who have done it in the past might be able to help you?

You can do it Jeffrey!  We have faith in you!   :)

PD
Thank you PD for your inspiriting and kind words. And thanks to others for comments.
Frankly I regard the whole 'online, virtual-reality lesson' as a total nightmare. It has caused me more stress than the Coronavirus. Like many others, I suspect, I hardly slept last night. Having said that there is a very supportive IT team in the school and they have told me that when I deliver my first online lesson next week I can do it from the school with their support which is very reassuring. I went for two days in a row to the training session after school. What usually happens is that I cannot get into the laptop in the first place and by the time that it finally lets me in the lesson moves on to a place where I no longer understanding anything that is going on and just stare blankly at the screen. For the younger staff, of course, the whole thing is a walk in the park. Anyway, we shall see and thanks for the support and advice which is much appreciated.

To add to all this it it my daughter's birthday on Monday and we have invited her (we live in a quiet village) here to celebrate. However, she insists that we go up to London. She lives in West Dulwich which is one of the worst areas for Coronavirus infection. I explaned to her that this was like being invited for a birthday celebration in one of the main plague villages during the period of The Black Death. This at least amused some of my colleagues at work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

JBS

Quote from: vandermolen on March 19, 2020, 12:00:48 PM
Thank you PD for your inspiriting and kind words. And thanks to others for comments.
Frankly I regard the whole 'online, virtual-reality lesson' as a total nightmare. It has caused me more stress than the Cronavirus. Like many others, I suspect, I hardly slept last night. Having said that there is a very supportive IT team in the school and they have told me that when I deliver my first online lesson next week I can do it from the school with their support which is very reassuring. I went for two days in a row to the training session after school. What usually happens is that I cannot get into the laptop in the first place and by the time that it finally lets me in the lesson moves on to a place where I no longer understanding anything that is going on and just stare blankly at the screen. For the younger staff, of course, the whole thing is a walk in the park. Anyway, we shall see and thanks for the support and advice which is much appreciated.

To add to all this it it my daughter's birthday on Monday and we have invited her (we live in a quiet village) to celebrate. However, she insists that we go up to London. She lives in West Dulwich which is one of the worst areas for Coronavirus infection. I explaned to her that this was like being invited for a birthday celebration in one of the main plague villages during the period of The Black Death. This at least amused some of my colleagues at work.

Then you definitely need that cat around to keep the students occupied.

Stay healthy and happy birthday to your daughter!

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on March 19, 2020, 12:04:16 PM
Then you definitely need that cat around to keep the students occupied.

Stay healthy and happy birthday to your daughter!

Oh, thanks so much Jeffrey!
Much appreciated  :) :)

drogulus

We've passed the 2,000 new cases a day point.

Florestan

From Romania with love, to all GMGers!

Stay safe, obey all rules and restrictions imposed, keep strict hygienic rules and be optimistic! I wish you and all your loved ones and fellow countrymen all best of luck and very good health in these hard times!

As for myself, I'll isolate myself as much as I can together with my 79yo father which I can't leave because he can't move out from his bed and one of my maternal aunts 83yo who lives next door to us. My wife, 7yo son and my inlaws are isolated in a county 2 hours drive away fron Bucharest where no case has been reported as of yet.  As of yet the disease spreads in Romania at a moderate pace and I hope the trend will not going to
explode. The measures taken by the government proves quite effective, the irresponsibility of some people notwithstanding.

I'm sure that we all will get over this bloody crisis! May God and our own civic sense and respobsibility proect us alll!

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on March 19, 2020, 12:43:15 PM
From Romania with love, to all GMGers!

Stay safe, obey all rules and restrictions imposed, keep strict hygienic rules and be optimistic! I wish you and all your loved ones and fellow countrymen all best of luck and very good health in these hard times!

As for myself, I'll isolate myself as much as I can together with my 79yo father which I can't leave because he can't move out from his bed and one of my maternal aunts 83yo who lives next door to us. My wife, 7yo son and my inlaws are isolated in a county 2 hours drive away fron Bucharest where no case has been reported as of yet.  As of yet the disease spreads in Romania at a moderate pace and I hope the trend will not going to
explode. The measures taken by the government proves quite effective, the irresponsibility of some people notwithstanding.

I'm sure that we all will get over this bloody crisis! May God and our own civic sense and respobsibility proect us alll!

God bless you & yours, brother!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA