Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iota

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 19, 2020, 07:39:47 PM
If you can believe it was laid off just before Christmas (company financially failing) found a better job, sold the house in California, rented a house in Houston, Texas where I will be working, am on payroll pending relocation. Movers are supposed to come on April 2, My wife and I had planned to drive with our young child to Houston, and did I mention my wife is pregnant?

Now, with confirmed cases growing exponentially in California, the governor has issued a "stay at home order," and effective next week we have no home. We are wondering if we will find travel forbidden, or travel hotels along the route shuttered.

Being stuck at home, watching Netflix and nervously checking dwindling checking accounts and 401Ks seems like paradise to me. I fully expect I could be dead before a month has past, and that is not the worst scenario I can imagine.

Oh boy, that sounds terrible, I hope a manageable way through it appears. Best of luck!

Iota

And yes, in answer to Judith's point, I think a large part of the battle against this thing will be psychological one, both individual and group. If a feeling of hope can be engendered/stumbled upon, I think it will impact behaviour at all levels in a significant way, right up to government. Hope you can find a bit of buoyancy, Judith.

Ratliff

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 19, 2020, 07:50:56 PM
Whoa. I feel for YOU! I can only say that I hope you (and your family) stay safe and healthy.

Thank you.

Quote from: Iota on March 20, 2020, 07:58:32 AM
Oh boy, that sounds terrible, I hope a manageable way through it appears. Best of luck!

It has to.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 20, 2020, 06:11:59 AM
((distant hugs))

Returned.

Pohjolas Daughter

If you can believe it was laid off just before Christmas (company financially failing) found a better job, sold the house in California, rented a house in Houston, Texas where I will be working, am on payroll pending relocation. Movers are supposed to come on April 2, My wife and I had planned to drive with our young child to Houston, and did I mention my wife is pregnant?

Now, with confirmed cases growing exponentially in California, the governor has issued a "stay at home order," and effective next week we have no home. We are wondering if we will find travel forbidden, or travel hotels along the route shuttered.

Being stuck at home, watching Netflix and nervously checking dwindling checking accounts and 401Ks seems like paradise to me. I fully expect I could be dead before a month has past, and that is not the worst scenario I can imagine.
Oh, boy!  Trying to think of what you could do?  Perhaps contact 1) a state agency to tell them what your predicament is and what you could do?  2) Maybe talk to your real estate agent and see if you could rent your home for a while from new owners (which leads me to wonder whether or not they could even move in due to the new restrictions?) 3) Keep in contact with your new employer regarding everything going on.

Warm wishes to you and hang in there!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Kind wishes, best of luck and stay safe!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Judith

Quote from: Iota on March 20, 2020, 08:28:33 AM
And yes, in answer to Judith's point, I think a large part of the battle against this thing will be psychological one, both individual and group. If a feeling of hope can be engendered/stumbled upon, I think it will impact behaviour at all levels in a significant way, right up to government. Hope you can find a bit of buoyancy, Judith.
Thank you for your thoughts

Judith

Quote from: DaveF on March 20, 2020, 07:53:57 AM
Hi Judith,

Trying to keep going, as we all are, but agree it's deeply distressing and unsettling, and hard not to feel sorry for oneself.  I'm in the fortunate position of being in excellent health, my 60 years notwithstanding, having a guaranteed salary from my local government job and a house with no mortgage (albeit a second one that I'm trying to sell, with not surprisingly a complete lack of interest at the moment), so what it's like for those poor souls who have financial pressures on top of health worries I can't imagine.  Here in rural South Wales we haven't even seen the level of panic buying that has occurred elsewhere - the supermarket shelves are generally well-stocked, with only one or two shortage areas.  Although it has certainly been a day of "panic borrowing" in the library where I work.

I'm not that bothered about actually catching the virus - at least that would get it done with, and I'm fairly confident I'd survive without a problem.  The worry and concern spring more from the suspicion/certainty that those in charge have very little idea what is going on (and why should they? - it's never gone on before) and from the dread of being dependent for our future on the goodwill and selflessness of our fellow human beings, which with many notable exceptions seem to be generally wanting.  I cast around for the good news stories that I'm sure are out there, but there almost seems to be a conspiracy of silence - I read somewhere that new cases in China have fallen away almost to nothing, but try finding that statistic anywhere online.  Another small bit is that a cousin of mine in London, aged 39, has been suffering from it for 2 days and already feels much better.

Schubert's the man - had it worst of all and kept singing and dancing.

DF
Thank you for your kind words

Florestan

Quote from: DaveF on March 20, 2020, 07:53:57 AM
Schubert's the man - had it worst of all and kept singing and dancing.

Indeed.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Judith

Quote from: aligreto on March 20, 2020, 06:38:34 AM
There is nothing unusual in what you are feeling. We all want things just to be normal again. That is a natural reaction in these kind of circumstances. You, like everybody, are looking for reassurance. Listen to the advice and follow the correct hygiene and social distancing protocols and stay safe. That is our number one priority. This will pass but it will take time, care, mental strength and the cooperation of all to get us through this. Be as strong as you can.
Thank you so much

Judith

Quote from: pjme on March 20, 2020, 05:55:51 AM
Hi Judith, these are indeed very difficult and totally unusual & intimidating times. It is no wonder that we are feeling down. Especially since we don't know (and cannot predict) how long this crisis will last, nor how devastating its results will be.
So, let's focus on the positive aspects: the will to help, the courage and creativity of those who are already searching for solutions, the courage of all the people in the medical sector.
And do stay in contact with friends and family. And do post your thoughts here. Suggest music, talk about composers , musicians and performers, recordings.
Keep cool and stay positive!
Peter
Thank you so much

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 20, 2020, 08:57:04 AM
Oh, boy!  Trying to think of what you could do?  Perhaps contact 1) a state agency to tell them what your predicament is and what you could do?  2) Maybe talk to your real estate agent and see if you could rent your home for a while from new owners (which leads me to wonder whether or not they could even move in due to the new restrictions?) 3) Keep in contact with your new employer regarding everything going on.

Warm wishes to you and hang in there!

PD

I second PD's second point, at least.  Even if they weren't planning to move in immediately, any renovation plans they had must be on hold.
And that's assuming their own financial position hasn't suffered severely!

Best of luck, and stay healthy, all four of you.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on March 20, 2020, 05:09:55 AM

3. When cases are numerous and widely spread, containment can only be achieved by a total lockdown - literally locking up people in their homes.

Boris has just said that his scientists have told him that he needs to achieve a 75% reduction in social contact. Not 100%

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

Judith, think how fortunate we all here are: our hobbies (music, literature, fine arts) are actually tailor-made for such dire times and situations and should make our social isolation easier to endure. Concentrate on whatever you like and forget everything else. Better times are ahead.

JBS

For those of us in the US:

Animal Planet channel is running an all day marathon of Too Cute. Reality TV show starring newborn kitties and puppies as they grow in their first year.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on March 20, 2020, 02:50:01 AM
You should stay home, Jeffrey, and so should your daughter. It would be unpleasant but safe.

Romania update: 277 confirmed cases, 0 deaths, 25 cured.

Thank you Andrei and Fergus. Her two flat-mates have symptoms now so it looks like we will not be meeting up until such time as it is safe to do so. I told my students at school today ( before it closed down tonight) to try to see it as an extraordinary historical event and not just something to be anxious about. They will remember it for the rest of their lives. Some of them are secretly quite pleased about not having to sit their public exams whilst others are disappointed.
I'm pleased that there have been no fatalities in Romania.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

This is a popular thread isn't it? And probably necessary at this time. All thanks to Jeffrey (the other one) for starting it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on March 19, 2020, 12:43:15 PM
From Romania with love, to all GMGers!

Stay safe, obey all rules and restrictions imposed, keep strict hygienic rules and be optimistic! I wish you and all your loved ones and fellow countrymen all best of luck and very good health in these hard times!

As for myself, I'll isolate myself as much as I can together with my 79yo father which I can't leave because he can't move out from his bed and one of my maternal aunts 83yo who lives next door to us. My wife, 7yo son and my inlaws are isolated in a county 2 hours drive away fron Bucharest where no case has been reported as of yet.  As of yet the disease spreads in Romania at a moderate pace and I hope the trend will not going to
explode. The measures taken by the government proves quite effective, the irresponsibility of some people notwithstanding.

I'm sure that we all will get over this bloody crisis! May God and our own civic sense and respobsibility proect us alll!
All strength to you Andrei.

pjme

Quote from: vandermolen on March 20, 2020, 11:02:55 AM
This is a popular thread isn't it? And probably necessary at this time. All thanks to Jeffrey (the other one) for starting it.

Indeed, it helps to get away from cooking, cleaning, reading, browsing through cds, checking phones, watching TV...
I try to walk regularly & I made a 2 hour bike tour with a friend. Fresh air!

Kindest regards!

vandermolen

Quote from: Holden on March 18, 2020, 11:11:09 PM
I'm assuming that your school has a Learning Management System (LMS) and this is how they will remotely deliver the program. Our LMS is set up at the beginning of the school year with the whole program already there. It means that staff, students and parents can access it. It includes lessons, assessment, communications and the ability to submit work electronically.

I've been asked to set up work for the students in a specific year level on a week by week basis, just in case the Government decides we should close. All I had to do was create a small vodcast showing students what they had to do by pointing to the parts of the system where they could get the already set up programs.

If your school doesn't have an LMS then yes, you might easily have a tech nightmare.
I've had more support from the IT team at the school and also kind colleagues. I even managed to communicate with my classes via the IT online system, where we can see each other (like a Skype call). as we were all  in the same room it sounded like a lot of screaming Daleks from Dr Who trying to communicate, with continuous loud echoes. Still. As Lao Tse said 'The Journey of 1000 Miles starts with one step'.

vandermolen

Quote from: pjme on March 20, 2020, 11:12:20 AM
Indeed, it helps to get away from cooking, cleaning, reading, browsing through cds, checking phones, watching TV...
I try to walk regularly & I made a 2 hour bike tour with a friend. Fresh air!

Kindest regards!

You too  :)