Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rinaldo

I went to see an apartment that I'm interested in renting and had an eerie, although pleasant walk through the oldest parts of Prague – the Lesser Quarter and the Old Town, connected by the Charles Bridge. Usually bursting with tourists, the streets were expectedly deserted. I had to stop and shoot a short video as the silence reminded of the 2002 flood, when I was working on the cleanup and cars and tourists were prohibited to enter the Old Town.

It was a nice little moment of respite. Stay safe, you wonderful bunch of people!

aligreto

Quote from: Florestan on March 20, 2020, 10:46:29 AM
Judith, think how fortunate we all here are: our hobbies (music, literature, fine arts) are actually tailor-made for such dire times and situations and should make our social isolation easier to endure. Concentrate on whatever you like and forget everything else. Better times are ahead.

All good points.

Florestan

Quote from: pjme on March 20, 2020, 11:12:20 AM
I made a 2 hour bike tour with a friend. Fresh air!

Wait a minute! Everywhere in Europe authorities urge people to stay home, stay home, stay home and not get out unless for food or drugs and yet you take a 2 hour bike tour?  :o :o :o
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

mc ukrneal

Quote from: JBS on March 20, 2020, 10:58:42 AM
For those of us in the US:

Animal Planet channel is running an all day marathon of Too Cute. Reality TV show starring newborn kitties and puppies as they grow in their first year.
Love that show. The shots they get are really amazing, and we enjoy the pitter patter of the narrator.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

pjme

Quote from: Florestan on March 20, 2020, 12:15:07 PM
Wait a minute! Everywhere in Europe authorities urge people to stay home, stay home, stay home and not get out unless for food or drugs and yet you take a 2 hour bike tour?  :o :o :o

Yes, the government encourages people to go for walks and/or bicycle rides, do sports, run... BUT: only with your direct family or the people who live in the same house. 1 friend is allowed, if all the other safety measures are respected: keep 1.5 m distance at all times, do not pick nick, barbecue etc. Use tissues to blow your nose etc.

JBS

Quote from: pjme on March 20, 2020, 01:26:10 PM
Yes, the government encourages people to go for walks and/or bicycle rides, do sports, run... BUT: only with your direct family or the people who live in the same house. 1 friend is allowed, if all the other safety measures are respected: keep 1.5 m distance at all times, do not pick nick, barbecue etc. Use tissues to blow your nose etc.

You mean 1.5 meters, right?

My American brain read first read that to mean 1.5 miles. :P

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

pjme

Yes meters!

And a Belgian romantic trifle  for the night:

https://www.youtube.com/v/vU-hVwRkx-M

Tomorrow: Enter spring!

Irons

All pubs, restaurants and gyms in the UK to close tonight and remained closed until further notice.

The new Chancellor of the Exchequer, Rishi Sunak - who is playing a blinder - after consulting Unions and CBI has announced that to save employees being sacked the Government will subsidise their pay to the tune of 80%.

I have this feeling that when eventually this is all over we will all be poorer but just maybe the world will be a better place. It will be different that is certain.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

drogulus

Quote from: Irons on March 20, 2020, 02:14:08 PM

I have this feeling that when eventually this is all over we will all be poorer but just maybe the world will be a better place. It will be different that is certain.

If it's a better place it won't be poorer for long.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

Quote from: drogulus on March 20, 2020, 02:41:32 PM
     If it's a better place it won't be poorer for long.

Hear, hear!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Winthrop man, 87, is 1st coronavirus death in Massachusetts as case tally rises to more than 400
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Judith on March 20, 2020, 05:11:49 AM
Without being political, just wondering how you are all coping?
Must admit, getting me down. Not just the chance of catching illness itself but feel that life is on hold. No concerts, history talks, museums etc.
Am I feeling sorry for myself or anyone else feeling like I do?
Hi Judith,

It's hard to adjust to everything that is going on to say the least.  I don't know what kind of area you live in, but I find being out in Mother Nature helps.  Going for a walk/hike or if possible, working in your yard (if you have one) or allotment.  Culturally, well (see a different thread) there  have been and I think will be some free online concerts.  Though you can't go to them for the time being, there are a lot of online resources...perhaps checkout artists' websites or youtube, or learn more about favorite artists (checkout various scholarly articles), try some different apps or sites to learn a language....there are websites like the Ralph Vaughan Williams Society's website with free articles.  There are also e-books which one can check out from your library (and related ones) system.

The best thing, I think, is to keep in contact with the people that matter to you:  friends, family....think about reaching out to neighbors and friends who are older and maybe don't get out very often.

I know that it's hard, but hang in there; we'll make it through....somehow, someway.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Rinaldo on March 20, 2020, 11:32:29 AM
I went to see an apartment that I'm interested in renting and had an eerie, although pleasant walk through the oldest parts of Prague – the Lesser Quarter and the Old Town, connected by the Charles Bridge. Usually bursting with tourists, the streets were expectedly deserted. I had to stop and shoot a short video as the silence reminded of the 2002 flood, when I was working on the cleanup and cars and tourists were prohibited to enter the Old Town.

It was a nice little moment of respite. Stay safe, you wonderful bunch of people!
Wow, how strange (I checked out your video)!  That said, very quiet here in my town....little traffic.  Would love to visit Prague someday...such a beautiful country and I love your music.

All the best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on March 20, 2020, 07:16:50 AM
Last Monday the company purchased 200 laptops and instructed staff to work from home. I think the whole world is afraid of losing their job, P.
I know, I know....just still hard to hear.  I'm glad that he still has a job though.  Stores have closed (hopefully temporarily) around here.  We are, how do I say this, "proud" of being supportive of our local businesses around here (at least a good chunk of the local population is), so it's hard to say, but I think that they are doing the right thing by voluntarily closing; the question being though:  will they be able to survive?  Can they and/or will they try to still pay their employees as time goes on? 

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on March 20, 2020, 10:43:46 AM
I second PD's second point, at least.  Even if they weren't planning to move in immediately, any renovation plans they had must be on hold.
And that's assuming their own financial position hasn't suffered severely!

Best of luck, and stay healthy, all four of you.
Hi JBS,

I am trying to figure out exactly what the California governor means...saw a Twitter website....what is "essential"?

So, are/will the buyers be allowed to move??  Perhaps they are supposed to stay where they are living?  And maybe they are also in a similar situation too and like JBS said, they could also be trying to figure out their financial issues/problems?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on March 20, 2020, 11:16:45 AM
I've had more support from the IT team at the school and also kind colleagues. I even managed to communicate with my classes via the IT online system, where we can see each other (like a Skype call). as we were all  in the same room it sounded like a lot of screaming Daleks from Dr Who trying to communicate, with continuous loud echoes. Still. As Lao Tse said 'The Journey of 1000 Miles starts with one step'.
Hey, progress!   ;D

And thanks for making me laugh too...that's very important right now.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

steve ridgway

Quote from: Rinaldo on March 20, 2020, 11:32:29 AM

Wow that was quiet, not even a car manufacturer making an unrealistic commercial!

GioCar

Quote from: pjme on March 20, 2020, 01:26:10 PM

The same in Milan till last night. From this morning all those activities have been forbidden.
We had a delegation of Chinese experts visiting the city. They said that there were still too many people outside.
We have to stay at home. Period.