Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Welcome in the Netherlands. :(

So far, the Dutch government has been rather 'soft' on regulation, compared to many other countries.
Nevertheless parts of the population are still neglecting these rules on a pretty high scale.
Especially the younger generations still come together in groups, they still hug and shake hands.
(Research, amongst 15.000 respondents, was done by the Amsterdam University Hospital.)

Yep, this Corona virus is nothing special, just the elderly and the weak will die. So what's new? :(

Sad.

71 dB

Quote from: Marc on March 20, 2020, 11:00:00 PM
Yep, this Corona virus is nothing special, just the elderly and the weak will die. So what's new? :(

Sad.

Other viruses also kill elderly and the weak, but at least we have methods like vaccination and medicine to deal with them. Corona virus is "special", because the treatments don't exist and most people don't have functioning immune system yet so the elderly and the weak fill fast the hospitals requiring intensive care and the whole healthcare system is in danger of collapsing.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Marc

Quote from: 71 dB on March 21, 2020, 12:42:18 AM
Other viruses also kill elderly and the weak, but at least we have methods like vaccination and medicine to deal with them. Corona virus is "special", because the treatments don't exist and most people don't have functioning immune system yet so the elderly and the weak fill fast the hospitals requiring intensive care and the whole healthcare system is in danger of collapsing.

I know, Poju.
Which, to me, makes this an entirely different situation.
I've been trying to explain the same to other people, too. They keep shrugging their shoulders and saying: it's just panic for nothing. I'm not gonna stay home when I don't want to.
I'm very unhappy with these 'nay' sayers, especially when they neglect the advices and regulations (whilst others do their utmost to obey), and also try to convince other people to neglect the problem, too. Because things aren't going all that well in this country.

71 dB

Quote from: Florestan on March 21, 2020, 12:54:06 AM
Imo this lady is absolutely right.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/v/H7_wvQHMGOI

"What, have I got a band in my house? I can't read music!"
"Now our children will find out how dumb we are."

:laugh:

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 20, 2020, 03:09:12 PM
I know, I know....just still hard to hear.  I'm glad that he still has a job though.  Stores have closed (hopefully temporarily) around here.  We are, how do I say this, "proud" of being supportive of our local businesses around here (at least a good chunk of the local population is), so it's hard to say, but I think that they are doing the right thing by voluntarily closing; the question being though:  will they be able to survive?  Can they and/or will they try to still pay their employees as time goes on? 

PD

A small business would not last five minutes, P. They would sack their staff and then go bust. The UK Government are taking a massive gamble with essentially paying the workforce themselves. A policy that Lenin would be proud of. They are trying to see out the crises before the economy collapses completely but I worry that this is unsustainable for any length of time.
The news from Italy just gets worse. They have now overtaken China in deaths.

You make a good point shopping locally. The big supermarkets have been hit by a swarm of locusts. We did feel a sense of panic to be confronted by empty shelves. We are now shopping locally and managing fine but have to be early.   

Edit: https://youtu.be/XzdRs9LPj2M
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Marc

Quote from: 71 dB on March 21, 2020, 01:07:07 AM
"What, have I got a band in my house? I can't read music!"
"Now our children will find out how dumb we are."

:laugh:

Love her.
But I won't be allowed to give her a hug... shalom to her though.

71 dB

Quote from: Marc on March 21, 2020, 12:58:17 AM
I know, Poju.
Which, to me, makes this an entirely different situation.
I've been trying to explain the same to other people, too. They keep shrugging their shoulders and saying: it's just panic for nothing. I'm not gonna stay home when I don't want to.
I'm very unhappy with these 'nay' sayers, especially when they neglect the advices and regulations (whilst others do their utmost to obey), and also try to convince other people to neglect the problem, too. Because things aren't going all that well in this country.

People don't know how it is in the hospitals. Also, this crisis came fast so people can't understand what is going on. Just week ago I was visiting my dad, but last Monday we realized we have to stop the visits to protect him as the situation escalated in Finland (we come a week behind other Nordic countries in this). Since last Monday I have tried to follow the instructions. I really want to see my dad, but what can you do? I suppose one day this is over and we can go back to "normal"...

Que

Mandryka

Just a couple of questions about the UK, though they may well apply to other places, people may know the answer.

1. The strategy of widespread community testing and isolation which has been happening in South Korea looks as though it's successful at flattening the curve. I think it's in line with WHO recommendations. Why aren't the UK doing it?

2. It looks to me as though the government are following a model which says, basically, reduce people's freedom as the number of new cases increases -- so we can expect shops to close, and parks etc, over the next couple of weeks, and maybe the police will start to stop and ask people why they're on the streets, with associated fines. If I'm right, has the model been published?
mandryka
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on March 21, 2020, 01:10:18 AM
A small business would not last five minutes, P. They would sack their staff and then go bust. The UK Government are taking a massive gamble with essentially paying the workforce themselves. A policy that Lenin would be proud of. They are trying to see out the crises before the economy collapses completely but I worry that this is unsustainable for any length of time.
The news from Italy just gets worse. They have now overtaken China in deaths.

You make a good point shopping locally. The big supermarkets have been hit by a swarm of locusts. We did feel a sense of panic to be confronted by empty shelves. We are now shopping locally and managing fine but have to be early.   

Edit: https://youtu.be/XzdRs9LPj2M
Good to hear that you and 'your better half' are doing well.  Haven't been *grocery shopping for about a week but did notice when last in a big pharmacy chain that they had put limits on certain things (like baby wipes).  Need to get together a list within the next few days though.  As you mentioned, it's important to get there early.  Trying not to be greedy and think of what do I really NEED.  Felt for that poor nurse in your video link!  She, obviously, can't set her work hours and is at the mercy of how others act.  I hope that there were some kind folks who responded by donating some of their food to her?  Or that one of the grocery stores reached out to her?  Any further news Irons?
*short of picking up a head of broccoli at a small local store

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on March 20, 2020, 02:14:08 PM
All pubs, restaurants and gyms in the UK to close tonight and remained closed until further notice.

The new Chancellor of the Exchequer, Rishi Sunak - who is playing a blinder - after consulting Unions and CBI has announced that to save employees being sacked the Government will subsidise their pay to the tune of 80%.

I have this feeling that when eventually this is all over we will all be poorer but just maybe the world will be a better place. It will be different that is certain.
Yes, I agree Lol. The world will be a different and, who knows, possibly better, kinder place with less pollution and people taking more care of each other. Maybe this is naively optimistic but who knows. An article in the Times today encouraged us to keep a written record of these extraordinary times.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on March 21, 2020, 03:19:06 AM
1. The strategy of widespread community testing and isolation which has been happening in South Korea looks as though it's successful at flattening the curve. I think it's in line with WHO recommendations. Why aren't the UK doing it?

Shortage of testing kits may play a role.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 20, 2020, 03:22:07 PM
Hey, progress!   ;D

And thanks for making me laugh too...that's very important right now.   :)

PD

Good to know!

The dispute with my wife as to whether or not she should continue to go to gym (her 'Yes', myself and daughter 'No') has come to an end as the gym has closed down! The Times today had a page of advice for exercising at home. They suggest for over 70s (which I'm not) to practice standing on one leg for 20 seconds or more. I can manage about four seconds. But the good news is that you are allowed to hang onto the wash basin to prevent you toppling over on to the floor.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spineur

Quote from: vandermolen on March 21, 2020, 04:35:10 AM
Good to know!

The dispute with my wife as to whether or not she should continue to go to gym (her 'Yes', myself and daughter 'No') has come to an end as the gym has closed down! The Times today had a page of advice for exercising at home. They suggest for over 70s (which I'm not) to practice standing on one leg for 20 seconds or more. I can manage about four seconds. But the good news is that you are allowed to hang onto the wash basin to prevent you toppling over on to the floor.

Que

Just a couple of questions about the UK, though they may well apply to other places, people may know the answer.

2. It looks to me as though the government are following a model which says, basically, reduce people's freedom as the number of new cases increases -- so we can expect shops to close, and parks etc, over the next couple of weeks, and maybe the police will start to stop and ask people why they're on the streets, with associated fines. If I'm right, has the model been published?
mandryka

Asian countires were far more alert and better prepared, because they were affected by the SARS epidemic and learned important lessons from that. I'm afraid that Western "exceptionalism" also played a very negative role in this....
Trump still calls this the "Chinese virus"... Perhaps someone should try to explain to him that the virus doesn't care?

Coronavirus: What could the West learn from Asia?

Q

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on March 21, 2020, 04:35:10 AM
Good to know!

There was a segment on a talk show the other day of how one could exercise at home; one bit, used jugs of water and/or cans of food in a kind of tote bag (equal weight in two bags) and doing arm lifts and squats holding them.  Perhaps you could have a family workout time?  Maybe burn a CD of favorite songs with a variety of tempos to aid you?  I'm lucky in that there are some areas not to far away where one can walk/hike/jog/run without seeing to many people.  I also need to get more yard work done.   :(
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on March 21, 2020, 04:52:10 AM
Asian countires were far more alert and better prepared, because they were affected by the SARS epidemic and learned important lessons from that. I'm afraid that Western "exceptionalism" also played a very negative role in this....
Trump still calls this the "Chinese virus"... Perhaps someone should try to explain to him that the virus doesn't care?

Coronavirus: What could the West learn from Asia?

Q

What adds insult to injury is that the tests we don't have in the UK are made in the UK.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/randox-ships-covid-19-test-kits-to-wuhan-hospitals-1.4190697?mode=amp
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

Ask Boris Johnson.

Quote2. It looks to me as though the government are following a model which says, basically, reduce people's freedom as the number of new cases increases

A responsible government should reduce people's freedom long before the number of new cases increases; actually, if they do that early, the number of cases will increase nevertheless but not exponentially, and this is crucial. The idea is not to stop the epidemic, which is impossible, but to slow it down as much as possible, in order not to crush the medical system and to give scientists time to develop and test treatments and vaccins.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini