Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on March 21, 2020, 04:25:31 AM
Yes, I agree Lol. The world will be a different and, who knows, possibly better, kinder place with less pollution and people taking more care of each other. Maybe this is naively optimistic but who knows. An article in the Times today encouraged us to keep a written record of these extraordinary times.

I do not think it naive, Jeffrey. Working from home, when possible, needed a trigger this is a thunderbolt! Why would companies pay millions for offices in the capitals of the world when they can perform just as effectively with modern communications without? As you say, this would result in less pollution and stress.
I count myself a part of the lucky generation - missed the war, swinging sixties, cheap mortgages and excellent healthcare. Our kids have it much harder. So time for us to get through this, in one piece hopefully.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mandryka on March 21, 2020, 06:42:05 AM
What adds insult to injury is that the tests we don't have in the UK are made in the UK.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/randox-ships-covid-19-test-kits-to-wuhan-hospitals-1.4190697?mode=amp
What kind of shortages are you experiencing in the UK?  Is there any reason why that company isn't or hasn't (if that's the case) been able to sell their tests in the UK? 
Pohjolas Daughter

Kaga2

The importance of proper hand washing technique. This is a convincing 30 second video.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1241177007305744384

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on March 21, 2020, 08:39:38 AM
Correct. And in some states most of the cases diagnosed are ones which are so serious they need medical intervention. So it's impossible to draw any conclusions from the ratio of deaths to detected cases.

The mortality rate is demonstrably not very much higher than that of the seasonal flu. The problem is the very much higher rate of contagiousness which buckles the medical system to the brink of collapse. That's why social distancing and isolation is essential. We absolutely must buy time.

Stay home, folks, stay home!
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

drogulus

My niece is doing fine. She is a horsegirlcarthing, and she sent me a drawing of a Toyota Previa.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on March 21, 2020, 09:48:52 AM
      My niece is doing fine. She is a horsegirlcarthing, and she sent me a drawing of a Toyota Previa.

Pardon, but what is a horsegirlcarthing?
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 21, 2020, 10:57:57 AM
Pardon, but what is a horsegirlcarthing?

She would race tiny toy cars in the living room, then she partially transferred her allegiance to horses, but kept her car thing going. The Toyote Previa has been her spirit car since tinyhood, though other oddball cars play a role.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Rinaldo

If the people of Netherlands need some convincing, show them the numbers from Italy. 793 deaths today.

drogulus

This statement originating with the NSC was sent out by the State Dept for use as a talking point:

"Chinese Communist Party officials in Wuhan and Beijing had a special responsibility to inform the Chinese people and the world of the threat, since they were the first to learn of it," the cable reads. "Instead, the... government hid news of the virus from its own people for weeks, while suppressing information and punishing doctors and journalists who raised the alarm. The Party cared more about its reputation than its own people's suffering."

This quote seems apt:

"You have sat here too long for any good you are doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"

drogulus

71 dB

I think the Corona virus situation is so bad in Italy and Spain because these are Catholic countries:

- Family is THE safety net in catholic cultures. Social distancing destroys that.
- Suicide is a sin in catholic cultures. Corona virus allows suicides to be labeled as Corona virus deaths.

I don't think if I am correct, but my brain came up with this theory.

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

drogulus

Quote from: 71 dB on March 21, 2020, 01:36:29 PM
I think the Corona virus situation is so bad in Italy and Spain because these are Catholic countries:

- Family is THE safety net in catholic cultures. Social distancing destroys that.
- Suicide is a sin in catholic cultures. Corona virus allows suicides to be labeled as Corona virus deaths.

I don't know about Catholic but these are Latin countries, very social and perhaps a little late in reducing their tendency to clump together, eat, drink and be happy.

I don't know what's going on with the Germans. It's getting on my nerves.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on March 21, 2020, 12:04:33 PM
     She would race tiny toy cars in the living room, then she partially transferred her allegiance to horses, but kept her car thing going. The Toyote Previa has been her spirit car since tinyhood, though other oddball cars play a role.

Ah, does she also want to live in something like this?: 
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 21, 2020, 02:16:44 PM
Ah, does she also want to live in something like this?: 

I think she wants to semi-live in a barn.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on March 21, 2020, 02:29:19 PM
     I think she wants to semi-live in a barn.

;D Horses are great; I can well understand her wanting to be around them.  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

André

Quote from: 71 dB on March 21, 2020, 01:36:29 PM

What about Iran and China? What does your brain say ?

::)

Marc

Quote from: Rinaldo on March 21, 2020, 12:48:11 PM
If the people of Netherlands need some convincing, show them the numbers from Italy. 793 deaths today.

All those figures are well-known here.
Despite that: crowded beaches (for the 'regular' first beach walk in spring), forests and trains today. Hey, it's a sunny weekend, f*ck the virus, f*ck the consequences, let's pretend nothing serious is going on.

Look at my face!
Does my face look bovvered?

:(

My prediction: if this utterly stubborn behaviour here continues, it won't take long until the Dutch government opts for a total lockdown, with huge fines for not obeying. Thanks to all those mindless believers in personal 'freedom'.

André

Quote from: Marc on March 21, 2020, 04:54:56 PM
All those figures are well-known here.
Despite that: crowded beaches (for the 'regular' first beach walk in spring), forests and trains today. Hey, it's a sunny weekend, f*ck the virus, f*ck the consequences, let's pretend nothing serious is going on.

Look at my face!
Does my face look bovvered?

:(

My prediction: if this utterly stubborn behaviour here continues, it won't take long until the Dutch government opts for a total lockdown, with huge fines for not obeying. Thanks to all those mindless believers in personal 'freedom'.

Friday Belgium sealed its border with the Netherlands, and police turned away dutch tourists away after widely condemned 'rampages' in beaches, parks, stores, while locals were consigned to their homes.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).