Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on March 22, 2020, 11:38:17 AM
Hope it all works out well Lol.

Thanks, Jeffrey. Watching my son closely - from afar - he is sharing accommodation with three people who had the virus. He even slept with his daughter while she had a raging temperature! He feels fine.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: milk on March 22, 2020, 06:42:15 AM
I'm really confused about what's going on here in Japan. We were hit early with a few cases as there are usually many Chinese tourists here. The schools have been closed since February and attractions are also closed. The government seems to think Japan has been spared and is talking about letting schools reopen (at their usual time as this has been an extended spring break or, actually, a spring break that started early). As a country, the the numbers are not like Italy or Spain. However, testing is fairly low, from what I understand, and the Osaka area, where I live, has seen a small spike. Experts have been asking the question of why Japan hasn't been hit harder. The answer is either a mishmash of conjecture or that Japan is about to see a second devastating wave. Meanwhile it looks like my job, university, is on hold until perhaps May. I really didn't take things seriously early on and now I'm panicking a little. I see many people out and about acting normally, even though schools and amusements are closed. For example, the playgrounds are quite crowded with kids (and I took my kid a few times I'm ashamed to admit). I'm worried that many of us here in Japan didn't take this seriously enough. I guess lots of people are in the same boat but how are we all going to survive financially? I'm less worried about getting sick than economies and societies collapsing.

It is crazy that the Japanese Government and IOC still plan for the Olympics to go ahead. Shocking to see the mass of people (55,000) in an enclosed place at Sendai for a glimpse of the Olympic flame.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mandryka

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 22, 2020, 10:38:23 PM
Yes,

No one knows what sort of immunity the virus confers - how strongly it protects against immediate reinfection and how long it lasts.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: drogulus on March 22, 2020, 08:43:07 AM
     That's how I see it. If you can arrange for deaths to occur later, there will be fewer deaths. Also, herd immunity is a matter of degree, so there are more and more people who got the virus, never developed symptoms and are no longer spreading it. The virus slows as it hits more individual firebreaks that were never tested. We don't know about them, there's no way of counting them.

In the Netherlands they are starting a program to test the blood of all blood donors (which are unpaid volunteers) for antibodies, so as to be able to estimate the spread of the virus in the general population

Q

Mandryka

Is there anyone posting here who lives in an African country? Or has regular contact? I fear that Africa is about to get it in the neck.

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on March 23, 2020, 12:25:21 AM
Thanks, Jeffrey. Watching my son closely - from afar - he is sharing accommodation with three people who had the virus. He even slept with his daughter while she had a raging temperature! He feels fine.

Best of luck!
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mandryka

Here's a present for the more mathematically inclined people here

http://gabgoh.github.io/COVID/index.html

steve ridgway

Quote from: pjme on March 23, 2020, 12:11:08 AM
Rather not, I'd say. Animals should not eat junk food, let alone plastic...

https://www.brusselstimes.com/all-news/belgium-all-news/science/97811/research-urban-junk-food-diet-is-bad-for-city-birds-microbiota-fibre-gut-bacteria-intestinal-flora/

During a visit to Indonesia (at least 20 years ago) I already saw deer, apes and raccoon like animals scavenge dustbins and plastic garbage bags...

That's an interesting article but I am not going to open up a can of worms by suggesting this could have the slightest relevance to humans :-X.

drogulus

By monitoring active rather than total cases you can get a handle on the overall shape and trajectory of the pandemic. Italy is slowing. France is seeing a very slight decline. Assuming ongoing expansion of testing this is significant. Turkey, Brazil and Portugal are growing fast. The US is not among the fastest but towards the higher end of the range. Active cases continue to drop in China and S. Korea.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

Quote from: pjme on March 23, 2020, 12:11:08 AM
Rather not, I'd say. Animals should not eat junk food, let alone plastic...

https://www.brusselstimes.com/all-news/belgium-all-news/science/97811/research-urban-junk-food-diet-is-bad-for-city-birds-microbiota-fibre-gut-bacteria-intestinal-flora/

During a visit to Indonesia (at least 20 years ago) I already saw deer, apes and raccoon like animals scavenge dustbins and plastic garbage bags...

Aye, it just made me think of Kipling.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ratliff

Quote from: Mandryka on March 23, 2020, 12:50:27 AM
No one knows what sort of immunity the virus confers - how strongly it protects against immediate reinfection and how long it lasts.

You are right of course, the level of immunity is unknown, although it seems to me there must be strong immunity on the very short term. If your body had freed itself from the virus or its effects you must be immune at that moment, since a newly introduced virus infection will be suppressed along side the resident infection. The question is whether that lasts a day, a week, a month, a year, etc.

Ratliff

Quote from: Mandryka on March 23, 2020, 01:13:43 AM
Here's a present for the more mathematically inclined people here

http://gabgoh.github.io/COVID/index.html

Very interesting, thanks!

steve ridgway

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 23, 2020, 07:05:09 AM
Aye, it just made me think of Kipling.

Me too.

JBS

Flying Dutchman time
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/cruise-ship-passengers-stranded-coronavirus/index.html

Refusing to let them disembark is a bit irrational.  If they have been at sea this long with no cased of COVID19, they may the only group of people who can be guaranteed not to have it.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

It's my daughter's birthday but we didn't meet up and communicated by Skype instead. She was having a 'virtual breakfast' with her friend who was born on the same day as she was. Her flat mates (now recovered from corona virus-type symptoms) are cooking for her tonight. I sent her presents in the post and we put some money into her account.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Karl Henning

New York's governor said Sunday that he was exasperated that people are still ignoring his social distancing orders, saying he spent part of the previous day watching people clustering in groups and acting like it was just another nice spring day.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Kaga2

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 23, 2020, 07:09:16 AM
You are right of course, the level of immunity is unknown, although it seems to me there must be strong immunity on the very short term. If your body had freed itself from the virus or its effects you must be immune at that moment, since a newly introduced virus infection will be suppressed along side the resident infection. The question is whether that lasts a day, a week, a month, a year, etc.

The best analog we have are other Corona viruses. They confer immunity which certainly lasts months. One study showed good immune response a year later BUT undetectable levels of antibodies. So that is ambiguous. Probably booster vaccinations will be needed if that pattern holds for covid 19.

JBS

Broward County*, where I live, is now officially on "only essential services" type of lockdown.  Although the list of exempted services is not exactly essential stuff (car dealerships, lawn maintenance, etc...outdoor work, businesses not directly dealing with the public,  building projects that are currently being worked on seem to be the rationales).  Local stats here: https://wsvn.com/news/local/latest-numbers-1171-covid-19-cases-in-florida-over-500-in-south-florida-alone/

So I am home for work for two weeks (at least), with guaranteed pay for the first week (but my hours were reduced, so that is not as great as it might sound),  decision not yet made about the second week's pay, beyond that completely up in the air.

*For nonFloridians, that's Fort Lauderdale and environs, about 2 million people. We are (per Wikipedia) the 17th most populous county in the US.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Kaga2

Car maintenance is pretty important actually, and can mostly be done with good social distancing.