Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: (: premont :) on March 24, 2020, 05:05:28 AM
But you must have got something wrong, and this is why you ought not to give advices like this.

Only one of the D vitamin tablets you mention contains a toxic dose for a human being, even if we suppose, that the tablets are 1450 micrograms and not 1450 milligrams as you write. 1450 milligrams is a so monstrous high dose, that I doubt tablets with this dose exists.

Hi,

I've now deleted all my posts related to vitamin advice.

A good example, I think, of the maxim that no good deed (or at least no well-intentioned deed) ever goes unpunished.

All strength to you all.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on March 24, 2020, 05:49:56 AM
Hi,

A good example, I think, of the maxim that no good deed (or at least no well-intentioned deed) ever goes unpunished.

All strength to you all.

In these days of the Disinformation Superhighway, a little filtration behooves us all.

+1 for the warm wishes to all our Dutch neighbors!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

premont

Quote from: vandermolen on March 24, 2020, 05:49:56 AM
Hi,

All strength to you all.

My intention is not to punish you, but I just had to react to you D vitamin advice (now deleted) above.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

vandermolen

Quote from: (: premont :) on March 24, 2020, 05:56:33 AM
My intention is not to punish you, but I just had to react to you D vitamin advice (now deleted) above.
Fair enough. I understand that.
My best wishes to you too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

premont

Quote from: vandermolen on March 24, 2020, 05:59:39 AM
Fair enough. I understand that.
My best wishes to you too.

Thanks, the same to you.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Karl Henning

And, Jeffrey, I see the headline "a man thought aquarium cleaner with the same name as the anti-viral drug chloroquine would prevent Coronavirus. It killed him."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

premont

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 24, 2020, 06:03:37 AM
And, Jeffrey, I see the headline "a man thought aquarium cleaner with the same name as the anti-viral drug chloroquine would prevent Coronavirus. It killed him."

He probably drank chlorine.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

drogulus

I lost my active cases measure. WaPo is now using "confirmed cases" for countries, a number that only goes positive. They only did confirmed cases for the US and its states.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Daverz on March 23, 2020, 02:27:58 PM
Just got my snail mail and made sure I did the 20 second hand wash afterward...

I also got a DoorDash delivery of beer from a local brewery earlier (Karl Strauss; delicious).  It's really hard to get Amazon Fresh deliveries right now (hint: have your cart ready to go and check out at midnight), Instacart is impossible, but DoorDash seems fairly easy, probably because it's so expensive.

Interesting that beer is the only thing that never seems to go out of stock.  Probably because we are awash in grain and malt from American agriculture.
I'm not sure whether or not I mentioned this on this thread, but I've seen some articles and via t.v. that some distilleries are now making hand sanitizer and giving it out for free to people like firefighters, policemen, etc.
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 24, 2020, 06:03:37 AM

My daughter's friend has stock-piled custard, which seems a sensible medical precaution Karl.
8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on March 24, 2020, 06:17:39 AM
My daughter's friend has stock-piled custard, which seems a sensible medical precaution Karl.
8)

I have no quarrel with that, old dear!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

greg

People waiting for the checks and look what's going on. Seriously?  ::)
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

drogulus

Quote from: greg on March 24, 2020, 06:29:06 AM
People waiting for the checks and look what's going on. Seriously?  ::)

I'm seriously looking at what's going on. I think Denmark has it right. If you want the economy to be able to pick up where it left off when the worst is over, you have to pay people not to work, and pay small businesses to stay closed for the duration. That way, we'll all get through this mess and have something to look forward to. There is no other case, this is the case.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

André

Read today an article that foresees major budgetary problems (and eventual bankruptcy) for countries dependent on tourism and oil price.

Countries like Spain and Portugal get about 10% of their GDP from tourism. Mexico is heavily dependent on income from oil. Its national budget factors in a 49$US price per barrel. Current prices hare half that and not expected to go up because of price war (Saudi Arabia Vs Russia) and falling global demand. To make matters worse, 8.6% of its GDP depends on tourism. And to top it all off, President Lopez Obrador enjoins his people to go out and have fun. ???

It is predicted that Saudi Arabia could be bankrupt within a few years, as Russia has a far more diversified economy. Price war could hold prices down for years. Both countries have 500 billions$ in foreign currency reserves, which is not all that much considering that the Saudis' lifestyle and expenditures (including military expenses) depend on an oil price of 80$US. The difference must be borrowed. If you have only one source of income and you mismanage it, who will lend you money?

Irak, Lybia, Congo depend on oil revenue for 38% of their budget. The pandemia could become an economic one if countries become unsolvent. 'Rich' countries hold trillions in foreign debt, which are counted as assets in their balance sheet. They're not really expecting repayment any time soon, but writing off assets deteriorates the financial picture and can lead to higher interest rates.

Kaga2

I read that 20,000 to 40,000 "locked down" New Yorkers are arriving in Florida every day. Can this be right?

premont

Quote from: drogulus on March 24, 2020, 07:02:54 AM
     I'm seriously looking at what's going on. I think Denmark has it right. If you want the economy to be able to pick up where it left off when the worst is over, you have to pay people not to work, and pay small businesses to stay closed for the duration. That way, we'll all get through this mess and have something to look forward to. There is no other case, this is the case.

I certainly agree with you. Probably our government needs to increase the tax burden soon to be able to pay for all this. And we all have to contribute. Fortunately we stick together in a situation like this.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

greg

Quote from: Kaga2 on March 24, 2020, 07:04:57 AM
I read that 20,000 to 40,000 "locked down" New Yorkers are arriving in Florida every day. Can this be right?
This sounds like a typical winter day in Florida. So yeah.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Ratliff

Quote from: Kaga2 on March 24, 2020, 07:04:57 AM

Rules vary in the different states, but "shelter at home" does not forbid you traveling to another home.