Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Kaga2 on March 24, 2020, 07:04:57 AM
I read that 20,000 to 40,000 "locked down" New Yorkers are arriving in Florida every day. Can this be right?
Supposedly, 190 flights yesterday. Apparently though, anyone who comes is supposed to self-quarantine for 14 days (and they are being met on at the gates and such) as per an executive order from Florida's governor.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Florestan

Starting tomorrow 6:00 AM Romania gets into total lockdown. We'll be allowed to leave our homes only for going to work (those who cannot work at home or who haven't already lost their jobs or been sent into forced paid unemployment) or to buy food and drugs and we must carry a written statement about where we go. Police, gendarmerie and the army will patrol the streets.

Latest update: 762 cases, 8 deaths, 74 cured.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Kaga2

Quote from: drogulus on March 24, 2020, 07:02:54 AM
     I'm seriously looking at what's going on. I think Denmark has it right. If you want the economy to be able to pick up where it left off when the worst is over, you have to pay people not to work, and pay small businesses to stay closed for the duration. That way, we'll all get through this mess and have something to look forward to. There is no other case, this is the case.

I basically agree. I don't know about the third world, but the first world countries are rich enough to forego a few weeks production of most stuff as long as there is no resulting economic chaos, like people losing homes or business liquidating. The way to prevent that is bridge financing of some sort from the government. Yes we will have to pay for it later. Cheap at the price. Fortunately most countries seem to see that. But it will be all for nought if the Americans don't, but I think after the usual posturing crap they will.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on March 24, 2020, 07:32:13 AM
Starting tomorrow 6:00 AM Romania gets into total lockdown. We'll be allowed to leave our homes only for going to work (those who cannot work at home or who haven't already lost their jobs or been sent into forced paid unemployment) or to buy food and drugs and we must carry a written statement about where we go. Police, gendarmerie and the army will patrol the streets.

Latest update: 762 cases, 8 deaths, 74 cured.

Warm thoughts!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

prémont

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 24, 2020, 07:25:38 AM
Rules vary in the different states, but "shelter at home" does not forbid you traveling to another home.

How about you. Can you realize to move April 2. ?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 24, 2020, 07:36:15 AM
Warm thoughts!

To you too --- and to all GMGers wherever they are! Stay safe and cheer up, all this madness will pass, let's hope rather sooner than later.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

drogulus

Quote from: Kaga2 on March 24, 2020, 07:34:32 AM
I basically agree. I don't know about the third world, but the first world countries are rich enough to forego a few weeks production of most stuff as long as there is no resulting economic chaos, like people losing homes or business liquidating. The way to prevent that is bridge financing of some sort from the government. Yes we will have to pay for it later. Cheap at the price. Fortunately most countries seem to see that. But it will be all for nought if the Americans don't, but I think after the usual posturing crap they will.

No, if we act responsibly "later" will be better able to pay for itself. That's the whole point.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

Quote from: (: premont :) on March 24, 2020, 07:22:59 AM
I certainly agree with you. Probably our government needs to increase the tax burden soon to be able to pay for all this.

That would be insane. You are disagreeing with me. The government has to net spend far greater than it is. What would be the point of clawing it back?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Marc

Everybody stay safe... I wish you all the best.

I myself am kinda locking myself in my apartment... only leaving once a week for shopping.
Trying to walk and dance a little in my room. Doing some push-ups. Sitting on the balcony, to enjoy some sunshine.

I'm able to work at home, but my working contract ends on April 30 though.
Spoke to my current employer on the phone: prospects of a new contract aren't all that good. Too bad.

Well, back to dancing in me room again. With me headphones on.
Don't wanna infect me neighbours, don't wanna annoy them either.
Uhhh... Bach or Bowie?

No, wait: MADONNA.

For you, to justify my love.

This will turn into a great work-out. Gonna make me sweat for sure.

Y'all hang on, wherever you are!

:-*

drogulus

My co-conspirator does her YT Tony Clifton thing. I can hear her laughing and I know what shes doing, boosting her antibodies.

Kaga2

Quote from: drogulus on March 24, 2020, 07:50:56 AM
    No, if we act responsibly "later" will be better able to pay for itself. That's the whole point.

I am not interested in debating monetary theory. I think we agree on the policy: If we don't prevent disruption the result will be very bad. (That is actually the whole point.) That involves government financing now.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

India declares nationwide lockdown.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

drogulus

Quote from: Kaga2 on March 24, 2020, 08:10:43 AM
I am not interested in debating monetary theory. I think we agree on the policy: If we don't prevent disruption the result will be very bad. (That is actually the whole point.) That involves government financing now.

Agreements don't just happen. If we both know what must be done, something told us. You have good reasons to be sure about the need for government action, even if you don't want to debate them. I have an idea that if people rendered explicit their ideas about what is needed and why, we wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel every time there's a crisis.

Kaga2

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 24, 2020, 08:29:33 AM
Denialists tell me India is safe because it's hotter ...

Perhaps I should make a post listing some of the deranged arguments I have been rebutting on another site. Or perhaps not. You wouldn't believe me.

Update. Scariest example:

Him: why didn't we lockdown for H1N1?
Me: we had a vaccine.
Him: so what?

I paraphrase but that really was the gist.

prémont

Quote from: drogulus on March 24, 2020, 07:55:00 AM
     That would be insane. You are disagreeing with me. The government has to net spend far greater than it is. What would be the point of clawing it back?

When the crisis is over and all again works and earn their money, they will have to accept a lower standard of living, at least for some time in order to pay for all the expenditures during the crisis.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

drogulus

Quote from: (: premont :) on March 24, 2020, 08:40:35 AM
When the crisis is over and all again works and earn their money, they will have to accept a lower standard of living, at least for some time in order to pay for all the expenditures during the crisis.

I don't think that will last very long if we preserve small businesses that employ about 50% of the workers. The tax return will grow as the economy grows, but trying to tax back the increase in national debt would be just as bad a taxing back the debt we already have. We don't do that, so we still won't.

André

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 24, 2020, 07:25:38 AM
Rules vary in the different states, but "shelter at home" does not forbid you traveling to another home.

Miami is a 20 hour drive from New-York. You have to refuel 2-3 times (insert card, keypunch your PIN number, take the nozzle), get inside for 2 coffees, pay in cash etc. Check in at the motel, get the door key/card from the attendant, use facilities, get out for lunch etc. Then you get to your condo, fridge is empty, drive to the grocery to replenish, talk to Harry and Dorothy from the bridge club, get the local newspaper from the mailbox... That's a lot of contacts with potentially infected surfaces or persons.

Irons

It does make you wonder if someone up there is shaking a fist at us. A depressing dank grey winter, rainfall breaking all records and floods ruining homes and businesses. Our PM informs us gravely that we must stay in our homes and not venture out, and what happens? The sun comes out, the sky is blue and the hottest March day since God knows when!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mandryka

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 24, 2020, 08:29:33 AM

It'll be interesting to see how they enforce that.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen