Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

It's a nice day where I am, so if I want I can go sit on the front porch and theorize at the Cowcat when he comes by.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Kaga2

Quote from: Mandryka on March 24, 2020, 08:56:05 AM
It'll be interesting to see how they enforce that.

Yeah. Enforcement is a dead end really. It's not like you are closing off a particular place for a set time.  You need persuasion and peer pressure and social norms or it will just fall apart quickly.
This is why I fight the denialists online (my wife thinks it a waste). We need voluntary compliance and self control.

Florestan

Quote from: Kaga2 on March 24, 2020, 09:28:28 AM
Yeah. Enforcement is a dead end really. It's not like you are closing off a particular place for a set time.  You need persuasion and peer pressure and social norms or it will just fall apart quickly.
This is why I fight the denialists online (my wife thinks it a waste). We need voluntary compliance and self control.

I presume most if not all denialists are also anti-vaxers.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

BasilValentine

I don't have any neighbors I can see so I've been out every day on the local mountain without breaking isolation protocols. But rejoice my droogs, the cure is here:

Ratliff

Quote from: (: premont :) on March 24, 2020, 07:42:11 AM
How about you. Can you realize to move April 2. ?

All indications are that the answer is yes. Nothing is certain at this point, but it looks like Trump has lost his taste for anti-virus measures, and that imposition of travel restrictions is less likely. I think worst case is they will make be self-quaranteen for 14 days when I get there.

Ratliff

Quote from: André on March 24, 2020, 08:54:08 AM
Miami is a 20 hour drive from New-York. You have to refuel 2-3 times (insert card, keypunch your PIN number, take the nozzle), get inside for 2 coffees, pay in cash etc. Check in at the motel, get the door key/card from the attendant, use facilities, get out for lunch etc. Then you get to your condo, fridge is empty, drive to the grocery to replenish, talk to Harry and Dorothy from the bridge club, get the local newspaper from the mailbox... That's a lot of contacts with potentially infected surfaces or persons.

I sold my house in California 6 weeks ago (deal just being finalized) after being laid off. I have a new job and a new home in Texas. It would make sense to forbid me to travel, so I could live on the street in California? Nonessential travel may be prohibited (vacationing, etc). Essential travel, i.e. travel necessary to return home to perform essential (allowed) work functions is not prohibited. I don't know what fraction of New Yorkers traveling to Florida would properly qualify as essential.

Marc

Quote from: BasilValentine on March 24, 2020, 10:05:10 AM
[...] But rejoice my droogs, the cure is here:

Rockin' good news! :blank:

Kaga2

Here is a verbatim exchange I just had
QuoteSo contrary to what the experts are telling us, we need more tests and more testing.

No, that's not contrary to what the experts are saying. It is exactly what the experts are saying. The problem is we haven't had enough test kits. We are getting more, but still don't have enough. No one disputes testing and targeted isolation is the better response. It is physically impossible at this moment.

Harry

Quote from: (: premont :) on March 24, 2020, 03:56:25 AM
OBS;OBS: What is this? The daily need of D-vitamin is in the range of 10 micrograms - elderly people maybe twice as much, so tablets containing
1450 mg sound like heavy overdosing, which may be harmful.

What Jeffrey meant was this dear Poul

Cod Liver oil in substance.
Ingredients:
Formula 1450 mg, take a few or less micrograms.
Is: Omega III, fish oil, TG 1400mg, Recommended intake 2000mg, EPA 252 mg, and DHA 168 mg.
Fish oil 50 mg, recommended intake 50 mg.
Vitamin A 3000 ug, recommended intake, 3000 ug.
Vitamin D 75 ug, recommended intake 75 ug.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

JBS

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 24, 2020, 10:18:43 AM
I don't know what fraction of New Yorkers traveling to Florida would properly qualify as essential.

Speaking as a Floridian: the answer to that is zero.

GMGers from New York would be the sole exception.

Seriously though (and linking to enforcement), I don't know how DeSantis expects that order to be carried out, where they are supposed to be be housed or fed, and who makes sure they stay quarantined.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

greg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 24, 2020, 08:29:33 AM
India declares nationwide lockdown.
This seems to be causing issues for some people at work that are unable to log in from home. 🤔
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Ratliff

Quote from: JBS on March 24, 2020, 11:14:16 AMSeriously though (and linking to enforcement), I don't know how DeSantis expects that order to be carried out, where they are supposed to be be housed or fed, and who makes sure they stay quarantined.

If you want to involuntarily quarantine people you need resources to enforce and feed them. China has a massive security state and they could do that. In the U.S., not clear.

In my small California town social isolation seems pretty effective. Any nonessential place you could go is closed. The only activities available are walks/hikes in parks. One park was closed because officials decided it was too crowded for effective social distancing.

prémont

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 24, 2020, 10:08:50 AM
All indications are that the answer is yes. Nothing is certain at this point, but it looks like Trump has lost his taste for anti-virus measures, and that imposition of travel restrictions is less likely. I think worst case is they will make be self-quaranteen for 14 days when I get there.

That's good to hear. I wish you an uncomplicated moving.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: "Harry" on March 24, 2020, 10:58:04 AM
What Jeffrey meant was this dear Poul

Cod Liver oil in substance.
Ingredients:
Formula 1450 mg, take a few or less micrograms.
Is: Omega III, fish oil, TG 1400mg, Recommended intake 2000mg, EPA 252 mg, and DHA 168 mg.
Fish oil 50 mg, recommended intake 50 mg.
Vitamin A 3000 ug, recommended intake, 3000 ug.
Vitamin D 75 ug, recommended intake 75 ug.

Yes, and this makes sense. But Jeffrey's post was right out confusing.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Kaga2 on March 24, 2020, 10:23:33 AM
No, that's not contrary to what the experts are saying. It is exactly what the experts are saying. The problem is we haven't had enough test kits. We are getting more, but still don't have enough. No one disputes testing and targeted isolation is the better response. It is physically impossible at this moment.

The most important reason, why testing has lacked behind in my country Denmark, is shortage of test kits. It is true, that the experts not always agree on which measures to take, but our government wants more testing in accordance with the recommendations of WHO.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: drogulus on March 24, 2020, 08:47:26 AM
     I don't think that will last very long if we preserve small businesses that employ about 50% of the workers. The tax return will grow as the economy grows, but trying to tax back the increase in national debt would be just as bad a taxing back the debt we already have. We don't do that, so we still won't.

I hope you are right. If our national debt increases too much, I fear the result will become more inflation, and that would not be a good thing.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on March 24, 2020, 11:14:16 AM
Speaking as a Floridian: the answer to that is zero.

GMGers from New York would be the sole exception.

Seriously though (and linking to enforcement), I don't know how DeSantis expects that order to be carried out, where they are supposed to be be housed or fed, and who makes sure they stay quarantined.
The governor also included New Jersey and Connecticut in his decision.

Personally, I have some friends who own a second home in Florida who have been there for a number of months already.  They also rent it out other times during the year; I expect that it might impact them...how much, I don't know.  They've decided to hunker down there for a while...not certain how long.  Wonder whether or not there might be problems at some point when they want to drive back home?
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

drogulus

President volunteers to be "first over the top" in fight to restore economy

"I'm ready to make the ultimate sacrifice", said the germophobe septuagenarian.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0