Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaga2

As ever Trump's mouth leaves something to be desired. But it is correct to be planning for a (staged) end to the quarantine. It is also correct to be planning for an extension. I expect there are civil servants and experts at work on both. And more. No trigger has been pulled, no decision made. We will know a lot more in two or three weeks. So will Trump. I think absent reliable testing no one can know, today, what the right course is.

Trump, Trudeau, Macron, and the rest are like hockey players try to play two pucks at once, outbreak and economic collapse. You cannot expect them to play both like Wayne Gretzky. I loathe the current leader of my country, but I will cut him some slack until I know something concrete.

SimonNZ

'Coughing while Asian': living in fear as racism feeds off coronavirus panic

"When Rosalind Chou was on a flight at the end of February, she saw a woman in front of her raise her phone up high, as if taking a selfie. The woman snapped a picture and sent it to a friend, whose reply showed up in big font on the woman's phone: "Oh no, is he Chinese?"

Across the aisle from Chou was a man she later learned is Korean American and a woman sitting next to him, also of Asian descent. The woman quickly replied to her friend: "There's a lot of them. Pray for me."

Chou knows her experience was not an anomaly. Across the US, Chinese Americans, and other Asians, are increasingly living in fear as the coronavirus spreads across the country amid racial prejudice that the outbreak is somehow the fault of China. It is a fear grounded in racism, but also promoted from the White House as Donald Trump – and his close advisers – insist on calling it "the Chinese virus". [...]

drogulus

The latest numbers show NY state cases growing slightly slower than Florida (since Sunday 63% to 70%). Probably traveling is less safe than staying put for everyone.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

JBS

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 24, 2020, 03:01:14 PM
'Coughing while Asian': living in fear as racism feeds off coronavirus panic

"When Rosalind Chou was on a flight at the end of February, she saw a woman in front of her raise her phone up high, as if taking a selfie. The woman snapped a picture and sent it to a friend, whose reply showed up in big font on the woman's phone: "Oh no, is he Chinese?"

Across the aisle from Chou was a man she later learned is Korean American and a woman sitting next to him, also of Asian descent. The woman quickly replied to her friend: "There's a lot of them. Pray for me."

Chou knows her experience was not an anomaly. Across the US, Chinese Americans, and other Asians, are increasingly living in fear as the coronavirus spreads across the country amid racial prejudice that the outbreak is somehow the fault of China. It is a fear grounded in racism, but also promoted from the White House as Donald Trump – and his close advisers – insist on calling it "the Chinese virus". [...]

Meanwhile the President of Liberty University was on Fox declaring that the Chinese Marxists had unleashed the virus and planned to make use of it in their quest for world dominance, while Tucker Carlson started off his show with a slightly less hysterical tone but just as clear about the peril of China overtaking the US and reducing it to second place....
Neither one actually said it was a plot by China, but the Liberty U guy came closest to saying that.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

Meanwhile...
Playwright Terrance McNally has died from COVID19 in a Florida hospital.
https://apnews.com/c922f464b78cde81e0780346ca10b167

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ratliff

Quote from: JBS on March 24, 2020, 04:57:00 PM
...Tucker Carlson started off his show with a slightly less hysterical tone but just as clear about the peril of China overtaking the US and reducing it to second place...

I think it is inevitable that China will overtake the US by many measures of economic and scientific dominance. The Covid-19 pandemic may be one of the things the propels them forward, if they manage to contain it while the US succumbs to the full force of it.

Kaga2

Thoughts on reopening and testing https://reason.com/2020/03/24/massive-coronavirus-testing-is-the-way-to-help-save-the-economy/

It's not often you see the Washington Post and Reason magazine agree.

Ratliff

Quote from: Kaga2 on March 24, 2020, 05:52:48 PM
Thoughts on reopening and testing https://reason.com/2020/03/24/massive-coronavirus-testing-is-the-way-to-help-save-the-economy/

It's not often you see the Washington Post and Reason magazine agree.

These tests require PCR machines, which are expensive and if you want to buy one you are normally told there is a three month wait, since the machines are basically made to order. What they suggest that every PCR machine in the country, in University Labs, NIH research labs, National Cancer Institute Labs, etc, be commandeered and pressed into service running Covid-19 tests, with graduate students, postdocs, professors, etc, suspending their research running the tests around the clock. I've heard worse ideas.

SimonNZ

Meanwhile the President of Liberty University was on Fox declaring that the Chinese Marxists had unleashed the virus and planned to make use of it in their quest for world dominance, while Tucker Carlson started off his show with a slightly less hysterical tone but just as clear about the peril of China overtaking the US and reducing it to second place....
Neither one actually said it was a plot by China, but the Liberty U guy came closest to saying that.

I heard an interview with author Michael Lewis for his book The Fourth Risk which is about the impact of Trump putting unqualified people in departments which deal in considering and foreseeing long term impacts and crises and interviews staffers on what is no longer being addressed and what they consider the less obvious but potentially disastrous "fourth risks" to be as a result of this.

At the end of the interview Lewis himself was asked for his own answer to this question. His answer - this is over a year ago now - was that if Trump faced an economic downturn he might try to throw red meat to his rally-going base by vilifying China and then saying "China thinks we owe them all this money, I don't think they deserve it. We're not going to pay it."

greg

We're talking about the CCP, the deadly sin of Pride incarnate?
Not to mention the hug a Chinese campaign in Italy orchestrated by them?

It's all unlikely, for sure, that everything is a big calculated scheme, but if it were, would anyone really be surprised considering who we're talking about?
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on March 24, 2020, 08:56:01 AM
It does make you wonder if someone up there is shaking a fist at us. A depressing dank grey winter, rainfall breaking all records and floods ruining homes and businesses. Our PM informs us gravely that we must stay in our homes and not venture out, and what happens? The sun comes out, the sky is blue and the hottest March day since God knows when!
Yes, this occurred to me Lol! The TV weather forecasts, with some smiling weather forecaster telling us what 'a lovely day' it is strike me now as adding insult to injury, since we are all locked away at home under some form of house arrest.  But, as my daughter tells me I'm turning into 'a grumpy old man'.
>:(
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Marc

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 19, 2020, 08:22:28 PM
My only contribution to this thread is this: my opinion about this virus is that it was intentionally created and spread. I don't believe that it came from an animal origin by mutation. The real rulers have the worst intentions towards people, and I'm not mentioning presidents or kings. I suppose you can guess who they are.

[...]

The new erato

Indeed. Holy crap what bullshit.

Mandryka

A LETTER FROM F. SCOTT FITZGERALD, QUARANTINED IN 1920 IN THE SOUTH OF FRANCE DURING THE SPANISH INFLUENZA OUTBREAK.

Dearest Rosemary,

It was a limpid dreary day, hung as in a basket from a single dull star. I thank you for your letter. Outside, I perceive what may be a collection of fallen leaves tussling against a trash can. It rings like jazz to my ears. The streets are that empty. It seems as though the bulk of the city has retreated to their quarters, rightfully so. At this time, it seems very poignant to avoid all public spaces. Even the bars, as I told Hemingway, but to that he punched me in the stomach, to which I asked if he had washed his hands. He hadn't. He is much the denier, that one. Why, he considers the virus to be just influenza. I'm curious of his sources.

The officials have alerted us to ensure we have a month's worth of necessities. Zelda and I have stocked up on red wine, whiskey, rum, vermouth, absinthe, white wine, sherry, gin, and lord, if we need it, brandy. Please pray for us.

You should see the square, oh, it is terrible. I weep for the damned eventualities this future brings. The long afternoons rolling forward slowly on the ever-slick bottomless highball. Z. says it's no excuse to drink, but I just can't seem to steady my hand. In the distance, from my brooding perch, the shoreline is cloaked in a dull haze where I can discern an unremitting penance that has been heading this way for a long, long while. And yet, amongst the cracked cloudline of an evening's cast, I focus on a single strain of light, calling me forth to believe in a better morrow.

Faithfully yours,

F. Scott Fitzgerald
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on March 24, 2020, 10:29:32 PM
Yes, this occurred to me Lol! The TV weather forecasts, with some smiling weather forecaster telling us what 'a lovely day' it is strike me now as adding insult to injury, since we are all locked away at home under some form of house arrest.  But, as my daughter tells me I'm turning into 'a grumpy old man'.
>:(

I'm most fortunate as you know I have an allotment, Jeffrey. The perfect environment for this as we stand in our own space for a natter, growing vegetables to eat and enjoying the peace of it all. To quote a sadly departed music forum friend "mission control :-*" is not too happy though.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

A friend sent this link to me to bring 'a little brightness into my evening'.  I hope that it does for you too:

https://www.facebook.com/1018021376/posts/10218672458135444/?d=n

Best wishes,

PD

p.s.  Is the Facebook video showing at your end?
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on March 25, 2020, 01:23:22 AM
I'm most fortunate as you know I have an allotment, Jeffrey. The perfect environment for this as we stand in our own space for a natter, growing vegetables to eat and enjoying the peace of it all. To quote a sadly departed music forum friend "mission control :-*" is not too happy though.

I need to get back to working in my garden.  I did find out the other day that until further notice, the town's area that I bring my yard wasted too is closed 'til further notice.  I did recently resurrect my leaf mulch pile (with the help of a neighbor put the fencing back up) and used my lawnmower to break down a lot of leaves.  Branches will have to go into another pile for the time being though.

Enjoy the peace!   :)

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on March 24, 2020, 04:39:35 PM
     The latest numbers show NY state cases growing slightly slower than Florida (since Sunday 63% to 70%). Probably traveling is less safe than staying put for everyone.
I heard over the news yesterday, that Gov. Cuomo will only be receiving 400 ventilators out of the requested 30,000 from the Feds and NYC is one of the worst hit areas!  Hope that that changes soon!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 24, 2020, 10:08:50 AM
All indications are that the answer is yes. Nothing is certain at this point, but it looks like Trump has lost his taste for anti-virus measures, and that imposition of travel restrictions is less likely. I think worst case is they will make be self-quaranteen for 14 days when I get there.
Yeah!  Fingers crossed for you.  Moving is stressful enough as is (not to mention moving to a different state and starting a new job and another baby on the way), so all good thoughts your way.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Just heard that Prince Charles has tested positive....wow!  So far, mild symptoms.
Pohjolas Daughter