Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iota

Quote from: vandermolen on March 27, 2020, 12:45:00 AM
Yesterday I had to teach my first 'online lesson'. At one point it all went horribly wrong and instead of showing them a painting by Délacroix I showed them a full list of my private school emails!
::)

;D  It could of course be seen as an instructive introduction to Art Trouvee ... Anyway, I wish you bonne chance, I imagine you'll only get better at it.

I too have been doing some video-calling for work that I usually do face to face. I find I'm having fine tune things  to virtually communicate the same message I would do in person. It's actually been rather interesting and instructive, if at times hard work.

Here in London figures are climbing and we're warned of a storm of cases approaching, these are certainly uneasy days. But it's as nothing compared to what health workers all around the country are facing every day. Last night in our street, like many across the country, we were all out at our front doors at 8pm clapping and whooping to try to show how much we appreciate their heroic efforts. Not much I know, but I was very glad to be there.

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on March 27, 2020, 01:23:03 PM
Thanks PD. I'm aware of and grateful for your supportive comments. My four Year 13 students, during an informal chat online, asked to see the cat so I had to swing the laptop round so that they could see him. Their comment was 'He's enormous!'

Warm thoughts, Jeffrey!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Kaga2

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 26, 2020, 07:39:22 PM

They can theoretically make them, but they require a government contract to guarantee such a large order, which is not happening - as Andy Slavitt talks about in that podcast I linked to

Paperwork is easier than retooling. Trump invoked the defence production act today.

There is another shortage: trained personnel.  I expect someone will tell me you cannot train enough people, and I expect they will be wrong.

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 27, 2020, 03:04:53 PM
Oh, my!  Trust by that that they meant he has a big frame vs. he's been eating too much kibble?   :)

So how old are four years...trying to remember how your educational system works!   :-[  May I ask too as to what subjects you teach them (or try to in any event  ;) ).

I had hoped at one point in time to acquire a male BSH kitten or cat...instead ended up with a female on the small size.  She was still a great kitty...sweet, smart, affectionate....and an exceptional mouser! 

Best,

PD

p.s.  Almost forgot to post this (re the thread):  At least there is some tiny bit of good coming out of the crisis:  https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52065140

Maybe it will help us all to consider the ramifications of how we are living and working and how it effects the environment and give us some impetus to change more things once this is over?  One can only hope....
Hi PD
I teach Year 8 (12/13 year olds), Year 12 (16/17) and Year 13 (17/18).
I teach History of Art and History. I'm also a school counsellor (as in therapy).
Re: the cat. Combination of large frame and excessive greed. For example, today he managed to convince both my wife and myself, at different times, that he had not had breakfast. So he ended up with two breakfasts. Terrible! He is the only one of the family totally unaffected by the Coronavirus crisis, except that we are around more than usual, which I think he likes.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 27, 2020, 03:53:18 PM
Warm thoughts, Jeffrey!
Thanks very much Karl and the same to you. Just spoke to my daughter on the phone (she's in London). She almost certainly has Coronavirus now and was coughing a lot. So, self-isolation for her.  :(
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

A withering editorial on BJ here

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/opinion/coronavirus-uk-boris-johnson.html?auth=login-email&login=email

QuoteThe problem is that he has been preparing for the wrong part. The man came to power playing Falstaff, a double-dealing, comically entertaining, shameless rogue; now he is suddenly onstage as Henry V, the wartime king whose solemn judgment, intense focus, charisma and conviction must lead his nation in a time of crisis. Mr. Johnson does not know how to play that part, and it shows.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on March 28, 2020, 02:17:24 AM
Hi PD
I teach History of Art and History. I'm also a school counsellor (as in therapy).
Re: the cat. Combination of large frame and excessive greed. For example, today he managed to convince both my wife and myself, at different times, that he had not had breakfast. So he ended up with two breakfasts. Terrible! He is the only one of the family totally unaffected by the Coronavirus crisis, except that we are around more than usual, which I think he likes.
Hmmm....a lot of extra playtime then for that cat (fun and burn off some of those calories).  Perhaps figure out a system (or ask each other?) to know who has done what...that and use a measuring scoop (ask vet for advice if kitty needs to lose weight).[/quote]  At one point in time, I had two cats (one a kitten and the other several years old) and the older cat loved to eat....hard to keep her out of the other ones food!   ::)

Quote from: vandermolen on March 28, 2020, 03:24:26 AM
Thanks very much Karl and the same to you. Just spoke to my daughter on the phone (she's in London). She almost certainly has Coronavirus now and was coughing a lot. So, self-isolation for her.  :(
Oh, no.  I do hope that she gets better and soon!
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 28, 2020, 06:34:48 AM
Hmmm....a lot of extra playtime then for that cat (fun and burn off some of those calories).  Perhaps figure out a system (or ask each other?) to know who has done what...that and use a measuring scoop (ask vet for advice if kitty needs to lose weight).  At one point in time, I had two cats (one a kitten and the other several years old) and the older cat loved to eat....hard to keep her out of the other ones food!   ::)

+ 1
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

steve ridgway

Quote from: vandermolen on March 28, 2020, 02:17:24 AM
Hi PD

Interesting - where does the history of art end?

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 28, 2020, 06:34:48 AM
Hmmm....a lot of extra playtime then for that cat (fun and burn off some of those calories).  Perhaps figure out a system (or ask each other?) to know who has done what...that and use a measuring scoop (ask vet for advice if kitty needs to lose weight).  At one point in time, I had two cats (one a kitten and the other several years old) and the older cat loved to eat....hard to keep her out of the other ones food!   ::)
Thanks PD and Karl,
I just spoke to her on the phone and she sounded ok if coughing a lot.

vandermolen

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 28, 2020, 07:46:19 AM
I'm not sure if this is a specific or philosophical question. For myself I teach mainly 19th Century European Art, Neo-Classicism, Romanticism, Realism, Symbolism etc.

Mandryka

Quote from: vandermolen on March 28, 2020, 09:07:08 AM
I'm not sure if this is a specific or philosophical question.

Philosophical is more interesting!

Mandryka

https://twitter.com/petershankman/status/1243611688659750914

Very good! Mary Poppins. Only yanks could do this.

JBS

Probably the same point where modern history ends.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Kaga2

Quote from: JBS on March 28, 2020, 10:05:24 AM
Probably the same point where modern history ends.
And we have art older than any history too.

Mandryka

Proceeding in the spirit of Fukuyama, the end of history of art is when the struggle for recognition, the willingness to risk one's life for a purely abstract goal, the worldwide ideological struggle that called forth daring, courage, imagination, and idealism, is replaced by economic calculation, the endless solving of technical problems, environmental concerns, and the satisfaction of sophisticated consumer demands.

Kaga2

Trump is considering a quarantine of parts of New York and other areas.

Mandatory quarantine is an extreme and brutal measure. But I think there are two rules
Basic rule 1:if you are going to do it, earlier is better. Once you decide act immediately.
Basic rule 2: don't announce it might happen as then some will flee. Do it, rule it out, or STFU.

Rhode Island is using troops to contain NewYorkers already.

It sounds like time. Ugh.

Que

Quote from: Kaga2 on March 28, 2020, 12:40:05 PM
Trump is considering a quarantine of parts of New York and other areas.

Mandatory quarantine is an extreme and brutal measure. But I think there are two rules
Basic rule 1:if you are going to do it, earlier is better. Once you decide act immediately.
Basic rule 2: don't announce it might happen as then some will flee. Do it, rule it out, or STFU.

Rhode Island is using troops to contain NewYorkers already.

It sounds like time. Ugh.

It would be a rather useless and foolish measure...
The virus has already spread throughout the country, and it's not like NY is the source of the infection that can be contained.
As you point out, it will lead to people fleeing the area and taking the virus with them.
Same happened to people from Northern Italy fleeing to their vacation homes in Southern Italy, where the virus is now on the rise.

Q