Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on March 28, 2020, 10:05:24 AM
Probably the same point where modern history ends.
Agreed  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 28, 2020, 04:12:54 PM
'Nature is taking back Venice': wildlife returns to tourist-free city
With the cruise ships gone and the souvenir stalls closed, the coronavirus lockdown has transformed La Serenissima's waterways

As the rest of Europe lives under lockdown, Sweden keeps calm and carries on
All its neighbours have shut up shop to beat coronavirus but the Swedes insist 'we are not in quarantine'. Is that the right approach?

Nice to see how nature is coming back; I had also posted a link to how the air quality across Europe and other areas seemed to be improving due to lack of manufacturing/driving, etc.  I'll try and find it and link it again here.

I had posted this earlier...perhaps no one read it (as there were no comments)?  Anyway, here it is again:  "p.s.  Almost forgot to post this (re the thread):  At least there is some tiny bit of good coming out of the crisis:  https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52065140

Maybe it will help us all to consider the ramifications of how we are living and working and how it effects the environment and give us some impetus to change more things once this is over?  One can only hope...."

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

I hope so too. "I want to believe", like the poster says.

meanwhile...

For "ballance" and "fairness" here's a different perspective on the crisis:

Goop expert claims coronavirus doesn't exist and deaths caused by fear
Kelly Brogan says 'it's not possible to prove that any given pathogen has induced death'

Karl Henning

Quote from: Kaga2 on March 28, 2020, 12:40:05 PM
Trump is considering a quarantine of parts of New York and other areas.

Mandatory quarantine is an extreme and brutal measure. But I think there are two rules
Basic rule 1:if you are going to do it, earlier is better. Once you decide act immediately.
Basic rule 2: don't announce it might happen as then some will flee. Do it, rule it out, or STFU.

Rhode Island is using troops to contain NewYorkers already.

It sounds like time. Ugh.

It's an especially bad time to have a dimwitted narcissist in the White House.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Kaga2

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 28, 2020, 06:44:47 PM
Worry not. I canceled my travel plans.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Mandryka on March 28, 2020, 11:16:30 AM
Proceeding in the spirit of Fukuyama, the end of history of art is when the struggle for recognition, the willingness to risk one's life for a purely abstract goal, the worldwide ideological struggle that called forth daring, courage, imagination, and idealism, is replaced by economic calculation, the endless solving of technical problems, environmental concerns, and the satisfaction of sophisticated consumer demands.

I looked up Fukuyama and found this: "In the post-historical period, there will be neither art nor philosophy, just the perpetual caretaking of the museum of human history". My own utopian daydream would be along the lines of a smaller, technologically advanced, but sustainable civilisation restoring the planet like some collection of parks and heritage museums, the golden age of each place.

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 28, 2020, 06:44:47 PM
+1

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on March 28, 2020, 03:24:26 AM
Thanks very much Karl and the same to you. Just spoke to my daughter on the phone (she's in London). She almost certainly has Coronavirus now and was coughing a lot. So, self-isolation for her.  :(

All best wishes from our family to yours, we wish your daughter to find strength in everyone loving her, and a speedy and full recovery.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 29, 2020, 01:14:07 AM
All best wishes from our family to yours, we wish your daughter to find strength in everyone loving her, and a speedy and full recovery.

+1
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

vandermolen

Thanks so much for the kind wishes about my daughter - which mean a lot to me.  :)
She said that she felt 'blocked up' today but was otherwise ok and last night she said that she felt better although I'm aware that the virus can appear to come and go. She said that she had all the symptoms other than a fever.

On a separate note I find the govt's resrictions on driving to a place of exercise both counter-productive and unnecessarily repressive. I'm far more likely to spread the virus to someone else or contract it by walking around the village for exercise than by getting into the car for a ten minute drive to a very large area of open space called Ashdown Forest (Christo has been to a nice pub there!) where I can walk for ages without seeing anyone or easily take steps to distance myself from other walkers, joggers or horse riders. I think this is as important for mental health as for physical health.

On a lighter note, a friend of mine phoned me yesterday (Saturday) afternoon and started the conversation by saying:

'I'm very sorry to interrupt you during the football results.'

71 dB

I am already tired of the situation. I want back to normal. This is too crazy to be true. An animal bites someone on the Chinese wild animal market and this is the result a few months later? Utter lunacy. I am so done with the World. Too crazy for me. Medical science is 100 times too slow. You don't have 500 days to come up with a vaccine. Do it in 5!
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

steve ridgway

Quote from: vandermolen on March 29, 2020, 03:28:58 AM
On a separate note I find the govt's resrictions on driving to a place of exercise both counter-productive and unnecessarily repressive. I'm far more likely to spread the virus to someone else or contract it by walking around the village for exercise than by getting into the car for a ten minute drive to a very large area of open space called Ashdown Forest (Christo has been to a nice pub there!) where I can walk for ages without seeing anyone or easily take steps to distance myself from other walkers, joggers or horse riders. I think this is as important for mental health as for physical health.

It's not the government, the very quiet woodland park we were going to walk in this morning had been closed as had the car park for a nearby National Trust wood. We could still have used public footpaths through the NT land but we'd already done a decent walk round some nearly empty lanes and fields, just a few cyclists and dog walkers around. We could walk the dogs from the house to a couple of local parks or canal but they and the pavements on the way would have more people on them. Similarly there's a much quieter food shop on the way to that walking area compared to those near home.

Marc

Quote from: 71 dB on March 29, 2020, 03:57:00 AM
I am already tired of the situation. I want back to normal. This is too crazy to be true. An animal bites someone on the Chinese wild animal market and this is the result a few months later? Utter lunacy. I am so done with the World. Too crazy for me. Medical science is 100 times too slow. You don't have 500 days to come up with a vaccine. Do it in 5!

It proofs that we don't live in a perfect world. On this occasion, it's a sad proof, I agree about that. And it makes one feel helpless. But science and scientific research is never 'definite'. As one of my teachers once said: science is a never ending story of research, trying, testing, hypotheses, bumping your head, having to start all over again, do research again, trying, testing, et cetera. It takes time and patience.

I wish all of you the best... we can only hope that scientists and politicians come up with the best advices and hopefully... solutions, as soon as possible.

Stay safe!

vandermolen

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 29, 2020, 04:29:18 AM
It's not the government, the very quiet woodland park we were going to walk in this morning had been closed as had the car park for a nearby National Trust wood. We could still have used public footpaths through the NT land but we'd already done a decent walk round some nearly empty lanes and fields, just a few cyclists and dog walkers around. We could walk the dogs from the house to a couple of local parks or canal but they and the pavements on the way would have more people on them. Similarly there's a much quieter food shop on the way to that walking area compared to those near home.

Yes, I find it all very frustrating.

drogulus

Fauci said he's 'willing to bet anything' that people who recover from the new coronavirus are 'really protected from reinfection'

"We don't know that for 100% certain because we haven't done the study," said Fauci, who's worked in the public health sector for more than half his life and has been the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) since 1984, advising six presidents.

In a March study (which has yet to be peer-reviewed), a group of scientists infected rhesus macaques with the novel coronavirus, let them recover, then tried to reinfect them. The first infection gave some of the monkeys a mild illness, resulting in moderate pneumonia and weight loss, but the second did not seem to affect any of them.

Of course Fauci is probably right. It will take time to get enough information about human immunity to say for 100% certain that he is. We won't wait for that, though, as risk assessment is a business of probabilities.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

steve ridgway

Quote from: vandermolen on March 29, 2020, 07:09:52 AM
Yes, I find it all very frustrating.

I don't think there's any problem you driving to Ashdown Forest if you can keep your distance from people. Preferably if you can also park well away from other cars, I suspect any large car parks will be at risk of closure.

steve ridgway

I did shout across at someone this morning that our three dogs were assistance dogs - specifically social distancing ;).