Author Topic: Coronavirus thread  (Read 42410 times)

Offline Dowder

• Currently Listening to:
    All the good stuff
”But what is government but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary.”~~James Madison, Federalist 51

Ratliff

Re: Coronavirus thread
« Reply #2241 on: June 04, 2020, 05:45:02 AM »
The state of Texas is proceeding with progressive re-opening despite the fact that reported new infections are at a record level in the state. Oh dear, I guess it is inevitable. The rational, as I understood it, was "we will close down until testing and contract tracing can be made adequate." I guess the new rational is, "we have no intention of doing that, so we might as well reopen."

We will see what happens. Given the epidemiological parameters it is inevitable that basically everyone will get it eventually. It is just a matter of when.

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #2242 on: June 04, 2020, 05:56:11 AM »
The state of Texas is proceeding with progressive re-opening despite the fact that reported new infections are at a record level in the state. Oh dear, I guess it is inevitable. The rational, as I understood it, was "we will close down until testing and contract tracing can be made adequate." I guess the new rational is, "we have no intention of doing that, so we might as well reopen."

We will see what happens. Given the epidemiological parameters it is inevitable that basically everyone will get it eventually. It is just a matter of when.
Wow!  Will you be able to work from home?  Or will you have to work with/meet up with people very often?

PD

p.s.  Hope that wife and baby-on-board and the young one are all doing well?

Ratliff

« Reply #2243 on: June 04, 2020, 06:12:34 AM »
Wow!  Will you be able to work from home?  Or will you have to work with/meet up with people very often?

PD

p.s.  Hope that wife and baby-on-board and the young one are all doing well?

Working from home for the immediate future. When I do return it will be a small office which will entail very limited additional contacts.

We are all surviving, the unfolding of the economic impacts of this is the most worrying aspect of it. Actually getting sick doesn't even cross my mind these days. We live in the Houston area and in the supermarket you mostly see people dutifully wearing their masks. No people brandishing assault rifles in order to defend themself with deadly force, if necessary, against libtards who would compel them to wear masks.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 06:17:31 AM by Baron Scarpia »

Online greg

« Reply #2244 on: June 04, 2020, 07:25:38 AM »

My employer is wise, we are supposedly working from home until at least September. Makes sense for IT, productivity is not reduced at all.

The gyms have re-opened recently here in SA so I gotta work out again but be safe as possible somehow... also same with hair cut places...
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #2245 on: June 06, 2020, 01:55:56 AM »
This channel is interesting

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dUOFeVIrOPg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dUOFeVIrOPg</a>
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #2248 on: June 08, 2020, 03:34:56 AM »
Retail, dining, and many other businesses can begin to reopen in Massachusetts today

Indeed, I just got word suggesting that First Church in Boston is resuming services: the organist informs me that he selected a piece of mine for the prelude this Sunday, 14 June
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #2249 on: June 08, 2020, 08:08:02 AM »

Shutdowns prevented 60 million coronavirus infections in the U.S., study finds

Shutdown orders prevented about 60 million novel coronavirus infections in the United States and 285 million in China, according to a research study published Monday that examined how stay-at-home orders and other restrictions limited the spread of the contagion.

A separate study from epidemiologists at Imperial College London estimated the shutdowns saved about 3.1 million lives in 11 European countries, including 500,000 in the United Kingdom, and dropped infection rates by an average of 82 percent, sufficient to drive the contagion well below epidemic levels.

The two reports, published simultaneously Monday in the journal Nature, used completely different methods to reach similar conclusions. They suggest that the aggressive and unprecedented shutdowns, which caused massive economic disruptions and job losses, were effective at halting the exponential spread of the novel coronavirus.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.2.13

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

Online MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #2250 on: June 08, 2020, 11:22:16 AM »
Yes, I read a summary elsewhere, and it's interesting, but I don't quite understand why such very high proportional numbers of infected persons hasn't occurred for real in close-to-no-lock-down Sweden then.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #2251 on: June 08, 2020, 11:29:28 AM »
Retail, dining, and many other businesses can begin to reopen in Massachusetts today

Indeed, I just got word suggesting that First Church in Boston is resuming services: the organist informs me that he selected a piece of mine for the prelude this Sunday, 14 June

I'll take that as a good omen.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #2254 on: June 08, 2020, 11:44:22 PM »

How nice Karl. Will you be there to hear it?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #2255 on: June 09, 2020, 06:25:48 AM »

14 states and Puerto Rico hit highest seven-day average of new coronavirus infections

The increase of coronavirus cases in counties with fewer than 60,000 people is part of the trend of new infections surging across the rural United States. Health experts worry those areas, already short of resources before the pandemic, will struggle to track new cases with the infrastructure that remains.

Adding to the disparity in health-care support, residents in states such as Mississippi, Florida and South Carolina are living under only minor-to-moderate restrictions — even as their average daily infection rate is rising.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.2.13

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #2256 on: June 09, 2020, 07:58:47 AM »

Not sure, as yet.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #2257 on: June 09, 2020, 08:18:24 AM »
Yes, I read a summary elsewhere, and it's interesting, but I don't quite understand why such very high proportional numbers of infected persons hasn't occurred for real in close-to-no-lock-down Sweden then.

I looked at the Imperial College study and particularly Sweden. It appears their measures worked a little less well than those applied in other countries. The thing to remember is the study is trying to measure what an outbreak would look like if nothing was done to halt the spread. I don't think that has been the case in any country.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #2258 on: June 09, 2020, 10:57:30 AM »

Well, in fact, similarly to the church I serve, they're streaming the service via Facebook.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #2259 on: June 09, 2020, 06:03:21 PM »
No, the lockdowns weren’t an overreaction

"From the beginning of the pandemic, many conservatives have argued that the lockdowns were an overreaction to the novel coronavirus and that they are causing unnecessary economic pain. Recent studies, however, show that this argument is wrong.

Lockdowns and other measures to inhibit the spread of covid-19 likely saved hundreds of thousands of lives in the United States alone. We know this because of the way the virus spreads exponentially. Without lockdowns and other measures, every infected person would come into contact with a large number of uninfected people every day. A certain percentage of those people would contract the disease and would then further spread the disease to other uninfected people. Left unchecked, diseases such as covid-19 become like a raging wildfire, burning everything in their path."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA