Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on July 06, 2020, 12:46:07 PMAre there people less fortunate than you which will have to pay for it significantly more than you?

Most people with insurance have to pay more than I do, sometimes a lot more (as in 5-10 times more).  The terms of my current coverage are extremely generous.  I do know a very few people with even more generous plans (as in no copays or deductibles), but they are as rare as hen's teeth, and in every case they enjoy legacy plans that are not offered to new employees.  I have access to an alternate plan as well, and though not as generous, the copays would still be so low as to be irrelevant to me, and the annual out of pocket cap would increase by a factor of five to an amount I still don't care about.

Quote from: Florestan on July 06, 2020, 12:46:07 PMI need a third party to help me. Does the US insurance cover all these third-party costs?

Depends on the plan.  Mine does. 

Also, I looked up Duloxetine - I didn't know what it is - and it's a cheap generic.  Without insurance, it would be ~$10/month where I live.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on July 06, 2020, 12:46:07 PM
Fine. Very fine. Lucky you! Are there people less fortunate than you which will have to pay for it significantly more than you?

I do agree.

Now, I am curious. My father can't walk anymore, he needs a wheelchair for going back and forth to and from radiotherapy. I can''t do it alone, I need a third party to help me. Does the US insurance cover all these third-party costs?

If he's over 65, Medicare and supplemental insurance would pay for the wheelchair, unless the doctor screws up the paperwork.  You would probably pay nothing.

Under 65 would vary depending on the insurance plan.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on July 06, 2020, 01:08:28 PM
Most people with insurance have to pay more than I do, sometimes a lot more (as in 5-10 times more). 

So much for equality under the law.  ;D

QuoteThe terms of my current coverage are extremely generous.  I do know a very few people with even more generous plans (as in no copays or deductibles), but they are as rare as hen's teeth, and in every case they enjoy legacy plans that are not offered to new employees.  I have access to an alternate plan as well, and though not as generous, the copays would still be so low as to be irrelevant to me, and the annual out of pocket cap would increase by a factor of five to an amount I still don't care about.

This is egotism in a nutshell, yet you claim to subscribe to a Republic. How come?

QuoteI looked up Duloxetine - I didn't know what it is - and it's a cheap generic.  Without insurance, it would be ~$10/month where I live.

It is ~$0()zeroi)/month where I live. Romania 1 --- USA 0.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on July 06, 2020, 01:31:48 PMSo much for equality under the law.  ;D

This is egotism in a nutshell, yet you claim to subscribe to a Republic. How come?

What?

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on July 06, 2020, 01:27:46 PM
If he's over 65, Medicare and supplemental insurance would pay for the wheelchair, unless the doctor screws up the paperwork.  You would probably pay nothing.

He'll turn 80 next January. How many months would I have to wait wait before the payment starts?

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on July 06, 2020, 01:40:06 PM
What do you mean by "a republic"?

Oh, it's one of these.  Pass.

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on July 06, 2020, 01:34:19 PM
He'll turn 80 next January. How many months would I have to wait wait before the payment starts?
Don't quite understand the question.
Medicare would pay the supplier directly from the start. You would likely pay nothing at all.

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on July 06, 2020, 01:58:52 PM
Don't quite understand the question.
Medicare would pay the supplier directly from the start. You would likely pay nothing at all.

Would I pay nothing at all, including radiotherapy and transportation to and from home?

Do you mean, zero nada zilch at all?

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on July 06, 2020, 02:03:25 PM
Would I pay nothing at all, including radiotherapy and transportation to and from home?

Do you mean, zero nada zilch at all?

I thought you were only talking about the wheelchair. You'd pay nothing for that.
Radiotherapy would probably involve copayments. Transportation might or might not be paid for.
Both of those would depend on exactly what insurance plan you would be using to supplement Medicare--that is, to pay what Medicare itself doesn't pay for.

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on July 06, 2020, 03:34:57 PM
I thought you were only talking about the wheelchair. You'd pay nothing for that.
Radiotherapy would probably involve copayments. Transportation might or might not be paid for.
Both of those would depend on exactly what insurance plan you would be using to supplement Medicare--that is, to pay what Medicare itself doesn't pay for.

Thanks. I pay nothing for radiotherapy. Transportation is not covered.

Now, we''re really way off topic. I'm done with healthcare, for good.  :D

T. D.

Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro has tested positive for coronavirus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-53319517

Que

Quote from: T. D. on July 07, 2020, 08:19:39 AM
Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro has tested positive for coronavirus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-53319517

I guess there is always divine intervention...  ::)

Q

T. D.

WWJD?
(What would Jair do?)
We'll soon find out.

Karl Henning

And yet, the bars are reopening in Rio.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Que

Quote from: T. D. on July 07, 2020, 09:27:16 AM
WWJD?
(What would Jair do?)
We'll soon find out.

He apparently felt ill on Sunday.
I guess we'll know whether he is in real trouble a bit less than two weeks from now, just like in Johnson's case.

Q

T. D.

This is interesting. Duterte of the Philippines, who I generally equate with Bolsanero and the Orange Swindler, is advocating a much different approach to the coronavirus.

From Bloomberg (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-07/brazil-president-infected-u-s-starts-who-exit-virus-update?srnd=coronavirus):

Duterte Expresses Caution as Philippine Cases Spike (8:40 a.m. HK)

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said he will "have to be very circumspect in reopening the economy" given the recent spike in coronavirus cases.

The firebrand leader said he can't emulate the "devil-may-care attitude" of U.S. President Donald Trump or Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro because the Philippines is poor. "We cannot afford really a total epidemic or pandemonium," he said in an address aired Wednesday.

The Philippines will continue to limit the number of people that can go out, Duterte said, urging residents to be patient. His comments came after Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez and central bank Governor Benjamin Diokno both backed further easing of virus curbs to reignite an economy facing its deepest contraction in three decades.

JBS

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

T. D.

From (indirectly) the NYT:

Sweden Has Become the World's Cautionary Tale

https://news.yahoo.com/sweden-become-worlds-cautionary-tale-121752098.html

Comparing with Denmark, laissez-faire approach led to much higher COVID death rate but no macroeconomic benefit.
But, reading the last few paras, neither country is comparable economically to the USA because of their universal health care systems.