Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Quote from: Que on July 31, 2020, 10:07:11 AM
Eurozone suffers deepest contraction on record

Coronavirus: US economy sees sharpest contraction in decades

We are toast..... ???

Q

May I point out that the Eurozone statistics only go back to 1995?
And while severe the decline is not particularly steep. For every hundred bottles of beer you were producing this time last year you are now producing eighty.

More importantly, since you seem to have the virus under control as much as it can be controlled, you can look forward to recovering some of that lost ground more quickly than us Americans.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on July 31, 2020, 06:15:24 PM
May I point out that the Eurozone statistics only go back to 1995?
And while severe the decline is not particularly steep. For every hundred bottles of beer you were producing this time last year you are now producing eighty.

More importantly, since you seem to have the virus under control as much as it can be controlled, you can look forward to recovering some of that lost ground more quickly than us Americans.

Aye, quite the hole (might even say, grave) we're digging.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Que

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 31, 2020, 02:41:18 PM
The quote attributed to Mark Twain is "history doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes"

A much better way of putting it!  :)

Q

Iota

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 31, 2020, 02:41:18 PM
The quote attributed to Mark Twain is "history doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes"

Haha, excellent!

Todd

Quote from: JBS on July 31, 2020, 06:15:24 PMAnd while severe the decline is not particularly steep.

I should like to see this framework of economic analysis developed more fully.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

drogulus

The ~8% quarterly decline in GDP featured a huge increase in personal income on the order of $1.5T. We should get right to work building a 900 ft. statue to Nancy Pelosi.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Todd

T. D.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-01/arizona-lawmaker-raul-grijalva-tests-positive-for-covid-19

Democratic House member attended same hearing as Gohmert
Texas Republican Gohmert tested positive day after hearing

Democratic Representative Raul Grijalva says he's been infected with the coronavirus, a few days after a Capitol Hill hearing where a Republican House member in attendance later tested positive for Covid-19.

Grijalva, who issued a statement saying he isn't exhibiting any symptoms, has been self-isolating at his home in Washington since Wednesday upon learning that Texas Republican Representative Louie Gohmert tested positive. Grijalva presided over a hearing of the House Natural Resources Committee a day earlier.

"While I cannot blame anyone directly for this, this week has shown that there are some Members of Congress who fail to take this crisis seriously," said the Arizona Democrat. "Numerous Republican members routinely strut around the Capitol without a mask to selfishly make a political statement at the expense of their colleagues, staff, and their families."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-31/japan-acted-like-the-virus-had-gone-now-it-s-spread-everywhere

Japan Acted Like the Virus Had Gone. Now It's Spread Everywhere.

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on August 01, 2020, 07:21:21 AM
When he asked his doctor if there is hope for recovery the doctor must have answered "NEIN, NEIN NEIN!"  :-X

Well played!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

T. D.

Here's a testing anecdote:

My brother lives in Queens, NY, practically at the COVID epicenter. He just spent 2 months upstate (Ulster Co.) to get a break. Four days before returning, a cafe from which he had often purchased take-out closed (I assume for 2 weeks) because an employee had become ill with COVID symptoms (results unknown). My brother and his family all got tested. In New York, a state which brags about testing prowess, the results took a week to come back. Fortunately negative so far (still waiting on one).

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-fauci-wrong-europe-us-covid-013527485.html

Also, from Bloomberg:

Australia's Victoria Tightens Lockdown (1:16 p.m. HK)
Australia's Victoria state tightened restrictions and declared a state of disaster after its outbreak showed no signs of abating three weeks after capital Melbourne was put under lockdown.

State Premier Daniel Andrews announced 671 new cases in the past 24 hours with seven deaths. More than 380 people were in hospital, with 38 in intensive care.

Andrews said he would declare a state of disaster from 6 p.m. tonight, which would give police added powers. Metropolitan Melbourne would be under a curfew limiting movement between 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. The new restrictions will be in force for six weeks.

Shows how approaches differ...in most US states, those Victoria numbers would be "odd lots" and no one would bat an eyelash.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Todd

T. D.

To the surprise of practically no one:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-53598965

The number of deaths from coronavirus in Iran is nearly triple what Iran's government claims, a BBC Persian service investigation has found.

The government's own records appear to show almost 42,000 people died with Covid-19 symptoms up to 20 July, versus 14,405 reported by its health ministry.

The number of people known to be infected is also almost double official figures: 451,024 as opposed to 278,827.

And some observations from Scott Gottlieb, see
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-02/california-cases-accelerate-birx-sees-new-phase-virus-update

Gottlieb Advocates Masks, Targeted Mitigation (4:07 p.m. NY)

Former Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Scott Gottlieb said he hopes "the combination of masks with some targeted mitigation" is enough to keep Covid-19 cases down in the U.S. He proposed that approach as a "happy medium" between strict lockdowns and unchecked spread.

"It's going to be hard to keep the virus out," Gottlieb said on CBS. "We're likely to see this continue, where there will be these epidemics in different parts of the country, and compensatory action to get it under control."

Even as cases ebb in the Sun Belt, infection rates are picking up in the Midwest. Across the country, "probably one in 70 individuals right now are actively infected," he said.

Asked to reach for a note of optimism, Gottlieb said it looks like the U.S. flu season this fall and winter will be less harsh than expected.

Daverz

Quote from: 71 dB on August 01, 2020, 07:21:21 AM
When he asked his doctor if there is hope for recovery the doctor must have answered "NEIN, NEIN NEIN!"  :-X

I guffawed, but no one -- not even a clown like Herman Cane -- should have to be a martyr to this maladministration's malign incompetence.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

71 dB

Quote from: Daverz on August 02, 2020, 06:02:21 PM
I guffawed, but no one -- not even a clown like Herman Cane -- should have to be a martyr to this maladministration's malign incompetence.

Totally agreed and while I had zero respect for the man I would have never wished him this faith. It's just that the level of stupidity, ignorance and arrogance in the US regarding the Covid-19 situation is not only devastating, but also nothing sort of comical and a clown like Herman Cain (not Cane) makes it too easy to come up with these jokes.  :P

The last few years have felt like watching four years long "dictator's cut" of the movie Idiocracy. I like the movie, but I hate the reality.

T. D.

Quote from: 71 dB on August 03, 2020, 03:20:45 AM
Totally agreed and while I had zero respect for the man I would have never wished him this faith. It's just that the level of stupidity, ignorance and arrogance in the US regarding the Covid-19 situation is not only devastating, but also nothing sort of comical and a clown like Herman Cain (not Cane) makes it too easy to come up with these jokes.  :P

The last few years have felt like watching four years long "dictator's cut" of the movie Idiocracy. I like the movie, but I hate the reality.

Recall that the clown was nominated by the Orange Swindler for a seat on the Federal Reserve Board! Thankfully that didn't fly. I'll bite my tongue and refrain from further comment.

71 dB

Quote from: T. D. on August 03, 2020, 04:29:00 AM
Recall that the clown was nominated by the Orange Swindler for a seat on the Federal Reserve Board! Thankfully that didn't fly. I'll bite my tongue and refrain from further comment.

Yes, and considering what type of people the Orange One has chosen to various seats and positions Herman Cain certainly wasn't a surprising nomination.  :P