Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BasilValentine

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 12, 2021, 10:55:31 AM
This kind of behavior is rampant here in the US where ignorance must be bliss. I say there should be steep fine for anyone is not wearing a mask. The first offense is $600 (their government COVID stimulus money ::)) and the second fine will be $1,000. The third would be a $4,000 fine and 24 hrs. in jail with no bond. And God help us if it gets past the second or even third offense, the fourth offense would be $10,000 fine, 24 hrs. in jail plus 80 hrs. (the equivalent of two full-time work weeks in the US) of community service.

Rampant no doubt. On the other hand, where I live, in a district of upstate New York that largely supported Trump, mask wearing has been nearly universal. All of my friends and neighbors who voted for Trump wear masks without complaint.

Irons

On hearing ill rumour that Londoners may soon be urged into their lodgings by Her Majesty's men, I looked upon the street to see a gaggle of striplings making fair merry, and no doubt spreading the plague well about. Not a care had these rogues for the health o their elders!

Samuel Pepys Diaries
London 1664.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 14, 2021, 07:02:17 AM
On hearing ill rumour that Londoners may soon be urged into their lodgings by Her Majesty's men, I looked upon the street to see a gaggle of striplings making fair merry, and no doubt spreading the plague well about. Not a care had these rogues for the health o their elders!

Samuel Pepys Diaries
London 1664.
Wow!  :(
Pohjolas Daughter

Iota

Quote from: Biffo on January 13, 2021, 07:57:31 AM
Some people have always been obnoxious to anyone who has to deal with the public. Where I live there is a high percentage of retired people who have had a lifetime of talking down to the lower orders. They were rude and arrogant before the pandemic and will continue to be so after it is over.

Seems such people are unaware, that it is them that are distinctly the lower orders.

Samuel Pepys Diaries
London 1664.

Saw that one circulating during the first lockdown, Plus ca change etc. ..

Mandryka

Samuel Pepys Diaries
London 1664.

Here's a video of Her Majesty's men urging a gaggle of striplings into their lodgings, 2021 style

https://mobile.twitter.com/ukhomeoffice/status/1349725457143394305

And here's a video of Londoners doing what Her Majesty's men request and require this morning, going to work

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCTomEdwards/status/1349650712444203008

I can't help feel that there's a conclusion to be drawn, not sure what. Over to you.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

Samuel Pepys Diaries
London 1664.

Nihil novum sub sole...

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SimonNZ

I didn't recognize that from Pepys Diary and the year seems wrong - the really serious plague stuff is in 1665.

Sorry, but its from a parody twitter account account @Pepys-Diaries.

https://www.pepysdiary.com/encyclopedia/301/

Florestan

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 14, 2021, 11:53:30 AM
I didn't recognize that from Pepys Diary and the year seems wrong - the really serious plague stuff is in 1665.

Se non è vero, è ben trovato!...
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SimonNZ

Yes. If I were on Twitter I'd probably follow it.

(Also it wouldn't be Her Majestys Men during the reign of Charles II)

milk

Irons

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 14, 2021, 11:53:30 AM

The power of the internet to spread false information. WhatsApp in this case.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

T. D.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-15/norway-warns-of-vaccination-risks-for-sick-patients-over-80

Norway said Covid-19 vaccines may be too risky for the very old and terminally ill, the most cautious statement yet from a European health authority as countries assess the real-world side effects of the first shots to gain approval.

Norwegian officials said 23 people had died in the country a short time after receiving their first dose of the vaccine. Of those deaths, 13 have so far been autopsied, with the results suggesting that common side effects may have contributed to severe reactions in frail, elderly people, according to the Norwegian Medicines Agency.

"For those with the most severe frailty, even relatively mild vaccine side effects can have serious consequences," the Norwegian Institute of Public Health said. "For those who have a very short remaining life span anyway, the benefit of the vaccine may be marginal or irrelevant."

MusicTurner

Not good. First time I hear about this. However, from what's been told, the various & oncoming vaccines should also be quite different from each other, some of them being adjustable for various functions, properties and target groups etc. For instance, pregnant women is another area of concern.

Mandryka

Quote from: T. D. on January 15, 2021, 03:35:00 AM
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-15/norway-warns-of-vaccination-risks-for-sick-patients-over-80

Norway said Covid-19 vaccines may be too risky for the very old and terminally ill, the most cautious statement yet from a European health authority as countries assess the real-world side effects of the first shots to gain approval.

Norwegian officials said 23 people had died in the country a short time after receiving their first dose of the vaccine. Of those deaths, 13 have so far been autopsied, with the results suggesting that common side effects may have contributed to severe reactions in frail, elderly people, according to the Norwegian Medicines Agency.

"For those with the most severe frailty, even relatively mild vaccine side effects can have serious consequences," the Norwegian Institute of Public Health said. "For those who have a very short remaining life span anyway, the benefit of the vaccine may be marginal or irrelevant."

I'd be keen to know if anyone has any more information on this, what sort of preexisting conditions did they have? I've heard nothing about it in the UK, and we've vaccinated a lot of people. There must be cases here and in Israel and elsewhere,

Pohjolas Daughter

Despite Trump administration promise, there appear to be no more 'reserve' 2nd vaccine doses to release

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/15/politics/coronavirus-vaccine-reserve-dose/index.html

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Que

Mandryka

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/16/covid-vaccine-black-people-unlikely-covid-jab-uk

72% of black people say they're unlikely to take the vaccine if offered. Any thoughts about why? Is it the same in other countries?

Que

Mandryka

Yes I saw that after I posted here last night.

It's clear that this crisis is revealing the deep inequalities in our society, inequalities which in the UK no political party has been interested in dealing with. The poor are more susceptible to catching COVID because of their public facing jobs and their crowded multi generational living conditions. They are the ones who can least afford to stop working if they're ill or are a contact of someone who's ill. Blacks are wary of the vaccine because they have been treated with contempt by the health system.

And yet all the parties in the UK, and the media, are working hard to focus the debate on how to return to things as they were before. No party is bold enough to use the lessons of the crisis as a vehicle for radical social change. If they get their way, the  poor will continue to work in precarious jobs with low sick pay, and to live in crowded conditions in housing with exploitative rent.

The thing that annoys me the most is no one is clamouring for change - least of all those who need it. The left is weak.