Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. D.

Quote from: Iota on February 22, 2021, 11:05:37 AM
As regards efficiency of masks, wearing two rather than one, also presumably offers additional protection. I started doing this just recently when going shopping, and to me it doesn't feel anymore uncomfortable than wearing one.

The idea occurred when things were getting a bit crazy here in London, with SA/Brazil variants also appearing on the horizon, and I saw a photo of Jo Biden wearing a couple as he got off a plane (yet another reason to celebrate his appearance perhaps ..). But yes, they are quite pricey.

I've started doing this when shopping, since the CDC (USA) recommended it. But I've been wearing 2 of the blue surgical masks, which is probably not good. Need to get cloth masks for the outer layer.

Iota

Quote from: T. D. on February 22, 2021, 11:36:58 AM
I've started doing this when shopping, since the CDC (USA) recommended it. But I've been wearing 2 of the blue surgical masks, which is probably not good. Need to get cloth masks for the outer layer.

I wear 2 blue surgical masks too, and seeing as I can breathe comfortably in them, I'd have thought it must improve filtration levels too. Perhaps I'm wrong, I shall investigate.

Florestan

Both I and my wife tested positive today. For two days until last Sunday we have had symptoms of mild flu,  like 37.3 fever, mildly running nose and mildly sore throat, fatigue. Two years ago we'd have ignored them as insignifcant. The only thing that worried us is that I had diminished smell and taste, although today I felt an improvement in this respect. I have no idea where or how we caught it, we always wear masks and keep the distance.

Oh, well! All we can do is stay at home for a fortnight. I can see a massive dose of Haydn coming my way.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on February 24, 2021, 02:59:53 AM
Both I and my wife tested positive today. For two days until last Sunday we have had symptoms of mild flu,  like 37.3 fever, mildly running nose and mildly sore throat, fatigue. Two years ago we'd have ignored them as insignifcant. The only thing that worried us is that I had diminished smell and taste, although today I felt an improvement in this respect. I have no idea where or how we caught it, we always wear masks and keep the distance.

Oh, well! All we can do is stay at home for a fortnight. I can see a massive dose of Haydn coming my way.

Remembering you in prayer.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 24, 2021, 05:23:58 AM
Remembering you in prayer.

Most kind of you, Karl, and likewise.

Right now we don't have any symptoms and hope things will keep staying like that until March 9.

premont

For your both I hope it runs a mild course and for a speedy recovery.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

DavidW

I hope it is not too rough Florestan for you or your wife.

MusicTurner

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 24, 2021, 06:32:44 AM

+1

pjme

Hi Andrei,

yes, let's hope for only mild symptoms.
Kindest regards.

Peter

Biffo

+2

Haydn should be just the thing to keep up your spirits.

Pohjolas Daughter

+3
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

îți doresc însănătoșire rapidă, să auzim numai de bine
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

Thank you all, guys, your concern and kind words are much appreciated.

Quote from: Mandryka on February 24, 2021, 09:34:18 AM
îți doresc însănătoșire rapidă, să auzim numai de bine

Mulţumesc mult, să dea Dumnezeu!

Stürmisch Bewegt

A sad, homemade sign posted in a neighbor's front yard, spotted on my daily constitutional: "Covid-19 Took My Friend." 
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

vandermolen

All strength to you both Andrei. My thoughts are with you.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Recuperare rapidă, Andreï !

Papy Oli

Speedy recovery to you and yours, Andrei !
Olivier

Florestan

Thank you all, gentlemen!

Pohjolas Daughter

While the people are away, the "mice" will play....

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/25/uk/rats-rise-lockdown-london-intl-gbr-scli/index.html

Shudder!  I'm glad that I'm spying more hawks in my neighborhood (or at least noticing the regulars more often).  As much as I enjoy seeing some of the birds at my neighbors' feeders, I also see a number of squirrels taking advantage of them....and I'm sure that there are other creatures taking advantage of the fallen seeds too.

I suspect that London isn't/won't be the only city or town dealing with an increase in vermin.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 25, 2021, 04:53:05 AM
While the people are away, the "mice" will play....

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/25/uk/rats-rise-lockdown-london-intl-gbr-scli/index.html

Shudder!  I'm glad that I'm spying more hawks in my neighborhood (or at least noticing the regulars more often).  As much as I enjoy seeing some of the birds at my neighbors' feeders, I also see a number of squirrels taking advantage of them....and I'm sure that there are other creatures taking advantage of the fallen seeds too.

I suspect that London isn't/won't be the only city or town dealing with an increase in vermin.  :(

PD

Speaking of squirrels, not only are there more of them in my neighborhood than I can remember, ever (the result perhaps of fewer of them being run over during pandemic?), but they do not keep the distance from me they were wont to do pre-Covid.  It is not unusual now to have them come within two to three feet of me; perhaps a neighbor is feeding them out-of-hand.  Also, and this is going to sound peculiar:  pre-Covid squirrels seemed oblivious to human activity, though surely they were conscious of it.  Now I'm conscious of being observed.   
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.