Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on April 09, 2021, 06:58:46 AM
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-europe-vaccines-idUSKBN2BW1MB

J&J COVID-19 vaccine under EU review over blood clots, AstraZeneca probe grows

Probably all vaccins have this rare side effect, still it is necessary for all getting the vaccin.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

The side effects from my Zeneca jab, are still in effect, be it in a mild way. it is 4 days further on, but Flu like symptoms, slight headache, some what lower BP, feverish, though not much, body feels uncomfortable.

Mandryka

Quote from: "Harry" on April 09, 2021, 07:03:24 AM
Probably all vaccins have this rare side effect, still it is necessary for all getting the vaccin.

Can we say anything a priori about the likely incidence of the unusual clots associated with AZ in the case of the second dose in a subject who didn't experience them on the first dose?

I have another question for the medics.

At the start of April the UK had reported  79 cases of rare clots in  20.2M doses, and Germany reported 31 cases of cerebral thrombosis, and had distributed 2.7M doses. What is the explanation for this disparity?

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n883
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mhra-issues-new-advice-concluding-a-possible-link-between-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca-and-extremely-rare-unlikely-to-occur-blood-clots
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

MusicTurner

My mother, 74 but quite fit, had no real side effects from her first Pfizer jab three days ago. A sister, 65, had quite massive side effects from it. A 3rd sister, 72, hasn't gotten the vaccine yet.

Due to the discussions, the AZ has been put on halt here in DK. But it's been promised, that people will be allowed to choose another, if they wish - of course, this might likely imply delays at the time.

According to current schedules, I'll be getting a first call in late April or in May, and a second call in late May or early June.
I don't know whether it's going to be Pfizer, J&J, Moderna, or AZ, that will be offered. There's hope things will go faster. On Monday, they plan to give vaccines to 100,000 people, that's close to 2% of the population, in a single day.

Now, a combination is also being discussed - say the first shot of AZ might be supplemented with a second shot of a different vaccine.
But it seems that there are no medical records for such a procedure ...  ???

DavidW

Quote from: MusicTurner on April 09, 2021, 07:49:07 AM
Now, a combination is also being discussed - say the first shot of AZ might be supplemented with a second shot of a different vaccine.
But it seems that there are no medical records for such a procedure ...  ???

I thought you were not supposed to mix vaccines!

MusicTurner

Quote from: DavidW on April 09, 2021, 08:23:24 AM

Yes, that was the story just a short time ago - as far as I remember, they skipped 15 mio J&J because of a mixing error ...

MusicTurner

In the news now - German and Austrian scientists say that they have likely located the antibodies that create problems in a very few AZ cases - they're called PF4. It's probably going to make future vaccines easier.

https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-362354/v1
(News, in Danish https://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2021-04-09-forskere-har-paa-rekordtid-gjort-banebrydende-blodprop-opdagelse )

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on April 09, 2021, 09:05:57 AM
In the news now - German and Austrian scientists say that they have likely located the antibodies that create problems in a very few AZ cases - they're called PF4. It's probably going to make future vaccines easier.

https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-362354/v1
(News, in Danish https://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2021-04-09-forskere-har-paa-rekordtid-gjort-banebrydende-blodprop-opdagelse )
Good news MT. My wife does not seemed to have suffered any bad side-effects from the 2ndOxford AZ vaccine. She is just as bossy as usual  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on April 09, 2021, 10:32:17 AM
Good news MT. My wife does not seemed to have suffered any bad side-effects from the 2ndOxford AZ vaccine. She is just as bossy as usual  ;D

That's good news, for the first jab had some unpleasantness. :laugh:

MusicTurner

;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Careful, Jeffrey, as she might occasionally check out what you are saying here!  :-\  ;)

Still waiting to get my shots....eventually!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Prince Philip quote about reincarnating as a deadly virus to solve 'overpopulation' resurfaces

https://www.businessinsider.in/entertainment/news/prince-philip-quote-about-reincarnating-as-a-deadly-virus-to-solve-overpopulation-resurfaces/articleshow/81992882.cms

(This is the deadly virus thread isn't it?)

Mandryka

Quote from: DavidW on April 09, 2021, 08:23:24 AM

I don't think you are mixing them. I mean once you have the second dose all the AZ has been evacuated from your body.

DavidW

Quote from: Mandryka on April 09, 2021, 11:38:33 AM
I don't think you are mixing them. I mean once you have the second dose all the AZ has been evacuated from your body.

lol you're so literal! ;D  That is not what I meant.  I didn't think they were shaking up a cocktail.

Que

I really thought that I would end up getting the AstraZeneca vaccine... ::)

But the Dutch government has decided that the under-60s will no longer receive it.
Which will result in the akward situation that mostly those aged 60 -75 will have the AZ vaccine, since those over 75 already got Pfizer.

The reports on similar side effects on the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson vaccine are worrisome, since we need options to get everyone vaccinated.

Q

Daverz

Only side effect of Pfizer dose 1 for me was a sore shoulder.  Oh, and autism, but my background level of dysfunction is so high that you can't tell.

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 09, 2021, 11:20:34 AM
Careful, Jeffrey, as she might occasionally check out what you are saying here!  :-\  ;)

Still waiting to get my shots....eventually!

PD
Haha - I think that she's aware of my views  :)
Hope you get your shot soon PD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Stürmisch Bewegt

Blame it on Covid-19 (I think) : yesterday, pfeeling brave with my two Pfizer inoculations and protectively masked, I sallied forth eager to add to my (already excessive) CD collection. My target : Halfprice Books, which is responsible (guilty?) for an estimated 20-25% of the Stürmisch Collection. My excitement was running high - no new CDs purchased in a public sphere (some through the mail) for approx. a year!  The bins were jam-packed, just like the good ol' days, but  :'( there wasn't a single disc that appealed or interested.  OK, I sez to myself, maybe there'll be treasures like before on the $2 shelves, where many Marco Polos were wont to be found.  Nope, not a one.  Felt like maybe I'd died of Covid and was now a resident of Hell:  surrounded by hundreds of classical CDs and not a single one that struck my fancy...
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.