Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

QuoteFelt like maybe I'd died of Covid and was now a resident of Hell:  surrounded by hundreds of classical CDs and not a single one that struck my fancy...

Water, water, everywhere, nor any drop to drink.  8)

Being lost at sea is a good metaphor for our current predicament...

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: Que on April 11, 2021, 06:55:47 AM
Water, water, everywhere, nor any drop to drink.  8)

Being lost at sea is a good metaphor for our current predicament...

Indeed (and I forgot to mention I pawed through the LPs too!, though there weren't so very many of those...).  I suppose that posting such a 'non-adventure' is itself a measure of how under "house arrest" I've been. Sure wish the human race were smarter and our officials cleverer and less self-serving.   
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

DavidW

I gave up on browsing and buying cds in person many years ago. Cd shops dried up, and their classical sections for the remaining ones were just pathetic.  There was a local cd shop here several years ago.  The only thing they stocked were pop music from the 90s. ???  Who is this for?  Talking about appealing to an almost non-existent demographic.

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: DavidW on April 11, 2021, 07:15:03 AM
I gave up on browsing and buying cds in person many years ago. Cd shops dried up, and their classical sections for the remaining ones were just pathetic.  There was a local cd shop here several years ago.  The only thing they stocked were pop music from the 90s. ???  Who is this for?  Talking about appealing to an almost non-existent demographic.

Sympathies, DavidW, because the thrill of the in-person hunt and serendipitous find is electric.  Halfprice often has something interesting and I couldn't help but wonder if the classical crowd might be staying away in these Covid times more than perhaps other interests...older, wiser, but sheer speculation on my part.  Interestingly, the $2 shelves were brimming with country music, Faith Hill, et al.  I've been fortunate to live in college towns where one might justifiably say the listening habits of the locals included more classical than perhaps other places.  And while most of my Goodwill safaris end-up empty-handed, several uncovered troves so bounteous I couldn't carry them all (inc. one memorable Sat. morning I bought 40-odd recordings of Mahler symphonies, someone's collection evidently, some of them still in the orig. wraps). I thought I was in a dream.       
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Daverz

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 09, 2021, 06:43:59 PM
Ted Nugent Wants to Know Where the Shutdowns Were for COVID-1 Through COVID-18 — No, Really

The guy who wrote Cat Scratch Fever is not the sharpest tool in the shed.  Who coulda knowed?

Even in Ted's heyday, 11-year old me could hear that his music was trash.   

SimonNZ

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on April 11, 2021, 05:47:56 AM
Blame it on Covid-19 (I think) : yesterday, pfeeling brave with my two Pfizer inoculations and protectively masked, I sallied forth eager to add to my (already excessive) CD collection. My target : Halfprice Books, which is responsible (guilty?) for an estimated 20-25% of the Stürmisch Collection. My excitement was running high - no new CDs purchased in a public sphere (some through the mail) for approx. a year!  The bins were jam-packed, just like the good ol' days, but  :'( there wasn't a single disc that appealed or interested.  OK, I sez to myself, maybe there'll be treasures like before on the $2 shelves, where many Marco Polos were wont to be found.  Nope, not a one.  Felt like maybe I'd died of Covid and was now a resident of Hell:  surrounded by hundreds of classical CDs and not a single one that struck my fancy...

Its possible they've had a policy of not buying new stock or as little as possible over the last year as a way of keeping the business afloat over the last year and you're looking at the same stock you've already picked the desirable items out of.

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 11, 2021, 04:04:20 PM
Its possible they've had a policy of not buying new stock or as little as possible over the last year as a way of keeping the business afloat over the last year and you're looking at the same stock you've already picked the desirable items out of.

I like that logic, Simon.  Thanks, it could very well be.  I know they're paying less for customers' trade-ins, which is the bulwark of their biz, and that surely could be affecting quality of the stock.  Just going to have to  order something through the mail to get my CD fix. 

Irons

Red letter day, Friday. Second jab in the morning and thanks to the end of lockdown the first visit to a record store for months. Play my cards right I may even enjoy a pint in outside a pub. :P
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Harry

Quote from: Irons on April 14, 2021, 12:11:57 AM
Red letter day, Friday. Second jab in the morning and thanks to the end of lockdown the first visit to a record store for months. Play my cards right I may even enjoy a pint in outside a pub. :P

Nice....enjoy :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Excellent Lol! Have a good day.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on April 14, 2021, 02:05:30 AM
Excellent Lol! Have a good day.
Quote from: "Harry" on April 14, 2021, 12:13:49 AM
Nice....enjoy :)

Thanks chaps. Hopefully I can post some purchases be it CD or LP.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Yeah!  Hope that all goes smoothly.  :)  And enjoy your day out!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on April 14, 2021, 06:36:35 AM
Thanks chaps. Hopefully I can post some purchases be it CD or LP.

Ah, the predicted surge in pent up spending. Best of luck with everything.

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on April 15, 2021, 02:22:05 AM
Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 14, 2021, 07:03:36 AM
Yeah!  Hope that all goes smoothly.  :)  And enjoy your day out!

PD

Thanks very much. I wonder if there will be a surge in spending, the hospitality industry are counting on it.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on April 15, 2021, 07:30:32 AM
I wonder if there will be a surge in spending, the hospitality industry are counting on it.

Private household saving is at an all time record high in my country. That is not like us at all. There will be a deluge of spending when this is all over. Then we will be bankrupt.......again  ;D

Karl Henning

Massachusetts Vaccination update:
1,916,830 people are fully vaccinated in Massachusetts (up 41,514 from yesterday).
2,917,816 people have received at least one dose of Moderna or Pfizer (includes people who are fully vaccinated).
1,716,407 people have received both doses of Moderna or Pfizer.
200,423 people have received Janssen (Johnson & Johnson).
5,631,560 vaccine doses have been shipped to Massachusetts.
85.8 percent of doses shipped have been reported as administered.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on April 15, 2021, 02:22:05 AM

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

MusicTurner

- situation still stable here in DK, where more opening up is going to take place next Wednesday etc., the tourist sector in particular is waiting for a flux of foreigners that will only slowly begin later, however.

- with the J&J put on a halt, and the AZ postponed indefinitely here, but more Pfizers coming, and vaccines being administered purely in relation to age groups now, I'm still waiting whether my shot will be delayed. I hope not; at best, there'll be a first call in the end of April, or some time in May. There's a debate whether stored AZ vaccines, about 200,000, can be chosen by those who want it anyway, or should be given or sold to other countries. The official risk estimate here is that 1 in 40,000 cases will experience tough health problems because of the AZ.

- at the AZ stop press conference, the female official fainted. I've seen depressingly idiotic social media posts claiming, that she was probably suffering from vaccine diseases (she has likely not even had a vaccine) - or even, in all earnesty, that her appearance was sabotaged via a secret vaccine nano-microchip from global medicine companies.

- the virus has unexpectedly meant a revival for the old, tiny administrative level of the church parish here;
the authorities reacting on a micro-level, a certain amount of virus will automatically mean that a parish is closed down. Some side-effects have been unfortunate, such as the closure of local educational institutions without any virus cases. A map of the current virus levels, as per parish, is now being released, probably regularly from now on ...
https://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2021-04-15-her-er-det-hidtil-mest-detaljerede-kort-over-smitteniveauet-lige-nu

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on April 15, 2021, 12:44:31 PM
Private household saving is at an all time record high in my country. That is not like us at all. There will be a deluge of spending when this is all over. Then we will be bankrupt.......again  ;D

Not sure why I found it interesting but I did. Post lockdown is at 30% pre-Covid levels on public transport and the roads are at 90%.

Pohjolas Daughter

Well, my perseverance finally paid off!  I'm scheduled to get round one of the vaccine soon.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter