Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on June 13, 2021, 09:45:02 AM
Yes I fear that it will spread very quickly in Europe and indeed the US. By the way, where did you get the 90% figure for herd immunity from?

I used Dutch sources, and opinions and percentages vary.
But the general assumption is that if transmissibility rises significantly, so does the threshold for group (herd) immunity.

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-why-experts-say-herd-immunity-is-still-out-of-reach/a-57860285

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuacohen/2021/05/08/covid-19-herd-immunity-looks-like-a-mirage-but-is-worth-pursuing/?sh=139a8f66381f

Karl Henning

Quote from: Que on June 13, 2021, 12:44:59 PM
I used Dutch sources, and opinions and percentages vary.
But the general assumption is that if transmissibility rises significantly, so does the threshold for group (herd) immunity.

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-why-experts-say-herd-immunity-is-still-out-of-reach/a-57860285

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuacohen/2021/05/08/covid-19-herd-immunity-looks-like-a-mirage-but-is-worth-pursuing/?sh=139a8f66381f

Thanks, Que, from the chap who wonders whether becoming a famous composer may be a mirage, but one worth pursuing.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Que

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 13, 2021, 06:20:39 PM
Thanks, Que, from the chap who wonders whether becoming a famous composer may be a mirage, but one worth pursuing.

:)

MusicTurner

It's been decided to vaccinate the 12-15 year olds here in DK, probably influenced by the recent virus developments, such as the Delta. That's 250,000 pupils, and it will be voluntary.

This will likely be copied by other nations, and of course provoke anti-waxers. However, about 95% of the people here, who were offered vaccines also accepted it, so far.

Number of infections etc. still going down here though, following the opening up. Usually 75,000 - 85,000 vaccinations per day, from a population of 5.8 mio, which is good. And there's a heat wave too ...

Pohjolas Daughter

One story about the impact of Covid-19 on the environment--the use of single-use masks and also improper disposal of them:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-56322369

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Mandryka on June 13, 2021, 09:45:02 AMI don't know that there's any point in vaccinating kids -- as far as I know there's no evidence to suggest that the vaccination reduces transmission, maybe you've seen something.

Data has long been available that vaccination reduces the rate of transmission.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/fully-vaccinated-people.html

The mechanism is fairly obvious. The vaccine does not make a person entirely immune, but makes immune response faster and more effective. As a result a person exposed is far less likely to get a serious infection. With lower viral load you are spewing less virus into the environment.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Irons

My 17 year old granddaughter had her first jab yesterday. Thankfully no reaction yet as she was reluctant but we encouraged her to get it done.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 18, 2021, 07:30:32 AM
My 17 year old granddaughter had her first jab yesterday. Thankfully no reaction yet as she was reluctant but we encouraged her to get it done.
Irons,

I cannot believe that you have a granddaughter that old!  You're too young for that!

In any event, glad that she went through with it and hope that all goes smoothly there.  Which vaccine did she get?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André

Quote from: Irons on June 18, 2021, 07:30:32 AM

Same here with our granddaughter. She was reluctant because none of her friends had gotten it  ::). Now she's proud of being a pioneer  :P

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on June 18, 2021, 07:56:29 AM
Same here with our granddaughter. She was reluctant because none of her friends had gotten it  ::). Now she's proud of being a pioneer  :P
Yeah!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on June 18, 2021, 12:48:25 AM
The Delta ("Indian") variant is on the march - Lisbon in full lockdown:

Lisbon ringed off at weekends as Portugal fights virus surge

Travel in and out of the Lisbon metropolitan area is to be banned over coming weekends as Portuguese authorities respond to a spike in new COVID-19 cases in the region around the capital.

That's very bad news, if not altogether unexpected. I must say, from the outside looking in, Europe looks like a train crash in slow motion. But your leaders must have built the models, maybe they think there's time enough to let summer tourism get a bit of a consumer cash injection, and for second dose vaccinations to catch up.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on June 18, 2021, 08:01:31 AM
That's very bad news, if not altogether unexpected. I must say, from the outside looking in, Europe looks like a train crash in slow motion. But your leaders must have built the models, maybe they think there's time enough to let summer tourism get a bit of a consumer cash injection, and for second dose vaccinations to catch up.

Summer tourism will be a sandcastle IMO.... It just hasn't just sunk in yet.
Vaccinations across Europe have gathered speed, but probably not enough to outpace the Delta variant in the coming months. After that, we get a window of normality....untill we are hit by a new tricky variant - plenty of possible candidates...

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on June 18, 2021, 08:19:40 AM
Summer tourism will be a sandcastle IMO.... It just hasn't just sunk in yet.
Vaccinations across Europe have gathered speed, but probably not enough to outpace the Delta variant in the coming months. After that, we get a window of normality....untill we are hit by a new tricky variant - plenty of possible candidates...

Chris Whitty, the UK government's chief medical adviser, gave a speech to the National Health Service Confederation yesterday, where he said that he expected polyvalent vaccinations to be available in five years. We all know that a forecast of five years means "don't hold your breath." We're going to have to find a way of managing these variants until a general vaccine is developed because something tells me not to hold my breath until the world is vaccinated either. And global capitalism needs free travel.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2021/jun/17/uk-covid-live-news-coronavirus-delta-variant-hancock-johnson?page=with:block-60cb52b68f08bfe0ccb149a0#block-60cb52b68f08bfe0ccb149a0
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

Today early in the morning I got my second Astra Zeneca jab. So far so good, feel it a little in my arm, but thats all so far.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

MusicTurner

Good to hear. My second Pfizer is on Friday ...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: "Harry" on June 19, 2021, 01:17:01 AM
Today early in the morning I got my second Astra Zeneca jab. So far so good, feel it a little in my arm, but thats all so far.

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 19, 2021, 01:42:10 AM
Good to hear. My second Pfizer is on Friday ...
A big yeah for you both.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Thank you!

Not what you'd usually associate with Scandinavia:

Swedish police investigating a likely case of fraud, with 100,000 false PCR-tests showing a negative test result, each made for the price of SEK 1500 including travel documents, or around 150 Euros, for the individual customer, the newspaper Aftonbladet reports. Tests simply weren't analyzed. The protagonists have fled. An employee warned the authorities.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 19, 2021, 06:50:38 AM
Thank you!

Not what you'd usually associate with Scandinavia:

Swedish police investigating a likely case of fraud, with 100,000 false PCR-tests showing a negative test result, each made for the price of SEK 1500 including travel documents, or around 150 Euros, for the individual customer, the newspaper Aftonbladet reports. Tests simply weren't analyzed. The protagonists have fled. An employee warned the authorities.
Wow!  ??? Just to clarify, did they actually sell 100,000 of these tests/documents?  Or unsure at the moment?  Any idea where the folks that came up with this scam were from and/or anything else about their background(s)?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter