Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Still collecting and collating
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

MusicTurner

In DK, an official survey tells that 0.005% of vaccinated people experienced serious side effects of the vaccine so far, most of them temporary, however.

3.2 mio have had their two jabs, 1 mio have received only the first one yet, so 72% of the total population have had or begun vaccines.

MusicTurner

Concerning the UK, our newspapers report that the virus is receding, probably due to the vaccine effect, yet a bit surprising concerning the opening up and Delta.

Here in DK, it's been rather stable for weeks, but the level is a bit too high, in spite of hardly any fatalities, about 750-1200 cases per day or 0.8 - 1.7 % of tested people, and we're hoping for it to drop. Delta is 95% of cases. Younger, unvaccinated people are now experiencing harder sickness.

Herman

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 01, 2021, 07:40:40 AM
In DK, an official survey tells that 0.005% of vaccinated people experienced serious side effects of the vaccine so far, most of them temporary, however.

3.2 mio have had their two jabs, 1 mio have received only the first one yet, so 72% of the total population have had or begun vaccines.

Might as well take the world numbers if you want to look at side effects. 3.8 billion vaccine shots have been put into arms.

MusicTurner

DK is almost only Pfizer and Moderna, and the registration of side effects likely very thorough. So far, vaccinations have been mostly carried through in countries with a modern and well-developed health sector, though.

But Bhutan for instance apparently has now reached 90% coverage with donations of AZ from India and Denmark.

Mandryka

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 01, 2021, 07:54:12 AM
Concerning the UK, our newspapers report that the virus is receding, probably due to the vaccine effect, yet a bit surprising concerning the opening up and Delta.

Receding in the sense of growing more slowly, probably. If that's right, it is very unexpected.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

71 dB

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 01, 2021, 07:40:40 AM

Here in DK, it's been rather stable for weeks, but the level is a bit too high, in spite of hardly any fatalities, about 750-1200 cases per day or 0.8 - 1.7 % of tested people, and we're hoping for it to drop. Delta is 95% of cases. Younger, unvaccinated people are now experiencing harder sickness.

Finland is not quite finished yet with the vaccinations: 3.7 million (66.2 %) people have gotten one or two jab(s) and of those 1.95 million (35.1 %) now including me both jabs. Cases have been skyrocketing from less than 100 per day mid June to 600-800 now. Delta variant + loosened restrictions for the summer + Covid fatigue among teenagers and young adults are mostly behind this, but since the cases are mostly people less than 40 years old while older people and risk groups have been so well vaccinated (of people over 70 almost 90 % are fully vaccinated), hospitalizations have stayed somewhat low.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on August 01, 2021, 05:34:13 AM
Welcome to my town, St. Louis, USA. This has gone far beyond mere sport, political preference, racism, or lack of education, etc : THIS is socio-pathology in action.  https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/01/us/st-louis-mask-meeting-covid-19-positive/index.html

Ah, yes, I know it well. I'm from (almost) next door, in Oklahoma, and since it's an even redder state than Missouri you can imagine what's going on here. Our legislature has been busy passing laws banning mask mandates in public schools, universities, municipalities, and so on.

Meanwhile, back in reality: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/oklahoma-covid-cases.html
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

DavidW

Alek, here in South Carolina the budget has a proviso that if any school district institutes a mask mandate they will immediately lose their funding.

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on August 01, 2021, 06:21:43 PM
Alek, here in South Carolina the budget has a proviso that if any school district institutes a mask mandate they will immediately lose their funding.

Jesus H. Bungee-Jumping Christ!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mandryka

Well, I'm pretty sure that admissions have peaked in the UK. What the consequences of the UK strategy will be for long covid and for mutations is anyone's guess of course. And it's anyone's guess what will happen next month when schools open and when the level of immunity in the population is different. But so far, the UK approach is looking good.

I wonder what the EU will do now, what do you think Que? Follow in our footsteps?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on August 02, 2021, 07:27:36 AM
I wonder what the EU will do now, what do you think Que? Follow in our footsteps?

Well, the EU is not in charge of healthcare nor responsible for measures against the pandemic. Though I'm sure that will change in the future.

So, it's up to individual member states how to proceed from here. And vaccination & infection rates vary greatly between countries.

André

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 01, 2021, 06:39:55 PM
Jesus H. Bungee-Jumping Christ!

Indeed. That's an undisguised non-mask mandate.

MusicTurner

Germany will now offer fully vaccinated - in their system - a third jab already from September. It's called a 'booster-jab'.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 02, 2021, 09:26:45 AM
Germany will now offer fully vaccinated - in their system - a third jab already from September. It's called a 'booster-jab'.
Interesting.  Does that apply to all of the vaccines or just certain ones?  As far as I know, the J&J is only a one-shot vaccine.  I imagine that this is for Moderna and Pfizer then?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on August 02, 2021, 07:27:36 AM
Well, I'm pretty sure that admissions have peaked in the UK. What the consequences of the UK strategy will be for long covid and for mutations is anyone's guess of course. And it's anyone's guess what will happen next month when schools open and when the level of immunity in the population is different. But so far, the UK approach is looking good.

I find it ironic that soothsayers warned that Brexit would result in shortages and Supermarket shelves would be stripped bare with lorries lined up across the channel with their cargo going to waste. Didn't happen of course, only for the British Government with their "pinging" NHS app shooting themselves in the foot which resulted in shortages across the board. We can't even blame the dastardly EU. >:(
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 02, 2021, 09:53:01 AM
Interesting.  Does that apply to all of the vaccines or just certain ones?  As far as I know, the J&J is only a one-shot vaccine.  I imagine that this is for Moderna and Pfizer then?

PD

It seems to be a Pfizer or Moderna, regardless of what vaccine you already had ... there are quite a lot of studies now telling of benefits of a 'cocktail' of vaccines.

Two very leading experts here in DK foretell a rising pandemic in the autumn, and likely further close downs/restrictions, because of new variants and cooler climate, and in spite of the relatively high level of vaccinations reached thus far  ???

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 03, 2021, 11:06:53 AM
It seems to be a Pfizer or Moderna, regardless of what vaccine you already had ... there are quite a lot of studies now telling of benefits of a 'cocktail' of vaccines.

Two very leading experts here in DK foretell a rising pandemic in the autumn, and likely further close downs/restrictions, because of new variants and cooler climate, and in spite of the relatively high level of vaccinations reached thus far  ???
Yes, I had heard of the "cocktail approach".  I hope that it can help.

Scary thoughts re the fall.  Not even that late here in the US; earlier today I was reading about the rapid surge of Covid cases starting to inundate Florida hospitals in some areas.   :(https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58077209

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Alek Hidell

Quote from: DavidW on August 01, 2021, 06:21:43 PM

Yeah, not very surprising coming from the birthplace of treason.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 03, 2021, 04:31:02 PM
Yes, I had heard of the "cocktail approach".  I hope that it can help.

Scary thoughts re the fall.  Not even that late here in the US; earlier today I was reading about the rapid surge of Covid cases starting to inundate Florida hospitals in some areas.   :(https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58077209

Best wishes,

PD

Quote from: Alek Hidell on August 03, 2021, 05:28:27 PM
Yeah, not very surprising coming from the birthplace of treason.

The Trumpist death cult on parade.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA