Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 11, 2021, 07:03:43 AM
I pity those among the infected who will wind up living with "Long COVID"

Many of the people infected now will be children, because they have no vaccine immunity and they're all over each other in school. Fortunately long covid doesn't appear to be a specially serious problem for them

https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/long-covid-children

Among adults it could be more serious of course. I've not looked into it in fact, but I know that some people think it could be one of the major weaknesses of the UK approach.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

André

About a month ago (two?) Quebec and Ontario were around 100-200 new cases per day. In the last 4 weeks it has gone up steadily, to about 1000/day.

Que

Quote from: Que on August 22, 2021, 10:38:41 PM
Meanwhile in Europe, despite ongoing vaccinations things are still not looking better on the spreading of the virus:

Still doesn't look terribly good...
The situation in France, Spain, Danmark, Norway and Sweden seems to have improved, but Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia and Romania look worse.

MusicTurner

Reportedly, large Danish companies are planning to move their production in China back to Europe/Eastern Europe, partly because corona has made logistics more insecure, costly, and vulnerable.

Could become a trend, perhaps.

Que

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 13, 2021, 07:07:11 AM
Reportedly, large Danish companies are planning to move their production in China back to Europe/Eastern Europe, partly because corona has made logistics more insecure, costly, and vulnerable.

Could become a trend, perhaps.

Oh, definitely. Here there are supply disruptions in new cars, and even new bikes!

MusicTurner

Personally I've been waiting for 6 weeks for a very ordinary spare part for my primary bicycle ... which is highly unusual. It might take months.

71 dB

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 13, 2021, 09:14:12 AM
Personally I've been waiting for 6 weeks for a very ordinary spare part for my primary bicycle ... which is highly unusual. It might take months.

I read somewhere that the bicycle spare part shortage won't ease until 2024!  ???
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

MusicTurner

Yes, an acquaintance of mine expects waiting a couple of years, before the delivery of a luxury bike he ordered. A member of my family owns a bike repair shop and tells about the same problems. Luckily, I had an OK second bicycle too, also suitable for touring.

T. D.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-14/japan-overtakes-u-s-on-vaccination-after-starting-months-later

Japan has given first doses of the Covid-19 vaccine to 63.6% of its population, surpassing the U.S. in the proportion of those who have had at least one shot of the vaccine despite starting months behind.

The island nation's progress now puts the U.S. last among Group of Seven nations when it comes to the proportion of the population with at least one dose, after vaccine hesitancy squandered the country's head start. About 63.1% of the U.S. has had at least their first shot, and 53.8% are fully vaccinated.

MAGA!

71 dB

Quote from: T. D. on September 13, 2021, 09:49:30 PM
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-14/japan-overtakes-u-s-on-vaccination-after-starting-months-later

Japan has given first doses of the Covid-19 vaccine to 63.6% of its population, surpassing the U.S. in the proportion of those who have had at least one shot of the vaccine despite starting months behind.

The island nation's progress now puts the U.S. last among Group of Seven nations when it comes to the proportion of the population with at least one dose, after vaccine hesitancy squandered the country's head start. About 63.1% of the U.S. has had at least their first shot, and 53.8% are fully vaccinated.

MAGA!

I feel bad for Americans for being constantly humiliated internationally in various ways. Japan has done good job recently, because back in spring they where so much behind even Europe. Sadly this is not only humiliating for the Americans, but people are dying for no good reason and hospitals are full because of "out-of-control" anti-vaxx propaganda. The one time healthcare is "free" for Americans, a large portion of the country reject it. At least horse dewormer sells well...  ::)

Make America Goofy Again.

T. D.

Quote from: 71 dB on September 14, 2021, 03:33:50 AM
I feel bad for Americans for being constantly humiliated internationally in various ways. Japan has done good job recently, because back in spring they where so much behind even Europe. Sadly this is not only humiliating for the Americans, but people are dying for no good reason and hospitals are full because of "out-of-control" anti-vaxx propaganda. The one time healthcare is "free" for Americans, a large portion of the country reject it. At least horse dewormer sells well...  ::)

Make America Goofy Again.

Well, the US has the dopiest populace of the Group of 7, so it's only fitting that we rank last on the vacc. scale.  :blank:

Pohjolas Daughter

Alabama had no room re ICU beds (called 43 hospitals) due to Covid, finally found one but it was too late, for the man, an antiques dealer who had had some serious heart issues, died.  His family is now begging people to get vaccinated and trying to get them to understand the strain that they are putting on the hospital system.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 14, 2021, 09:40:53 AM
Alabama had no room re ICU beds (called 43 hospitals) due to Covid, finally found one but it was too late, for the man, an antiques dealer who had had some serious heart issues, died.  His family is now begging people to get vaccinated and trying to get them to understand the strain that they are putting on the hospital system.  :(

PD

Ghastly, absolutely ghastly.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

T. D.

Some nuggets from Bloomberg, https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-12/israel-eyes-fourth-dose-u-k-drops-vaccine-passes-virus-update

Ohio Governor Backs Masks in Schools (4:15 p.m. NY)
Ohio Governor Mike DeWine said he'd impose a mask mandate in schools in response to a 2,000% increase in coronavirus cases among school-aged children since early August and hospitals getting overwhelmed, but the state legislature -- controlled by his Republican colleagues -- would just repeal it.

Montana's Biggest Hospital 'in Crisis' (1:50 p.m. NY)
Montana's largest hospital is "in crisis," a top official said. Billings Clinic was caring for 70 Covid patients, the most since the first week of December, with overflow intensive-care unit beds added as the delta variant spreads, the Billings Gazette reported.

Typically the ICU has 28 beds, but more than 40 are now squeezed into the facility. As of Monday, there were 25 patients at the ICU level, with 13 on ventilators and six in overflow beds.

"It's gotten to the point that we are in a crisis," Billings Clinic Chief Executive Officer Scott Ellner said. Staff are "tired and incredibly frustrated," he said. "We're worried that the public doesn't understand."

DeSantis: I Don't Recall Conspiracy Remark (12:30 p.m. NY)

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis said he doesn't recall a speaker at one of his events on Monday falsely telling a crowd that the Covid-19 vaccine "changes your RNA."

Darris Friend, a Gainesville employee who rejects his city's vaccine rules, was a featured speaker at the rally in Newberry, Florida, organized by DeSantis to criticize mandates. Friend delivered the remarks behind a podium with the official state seal, directly next to DeSantis. The governor watched Friend as he spoke, but after the conspiracy-theory comment DeSantis made no effort to correct it.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

Quote from: T. D. on September 14, 2021, 02:16:15 PM
DeSantis: I Don't Recall Conspiracy Remark (12:30 p.m. NY)

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis said he doesn't recall a speaker at one of his events on Monday falsely telling a crowd that the Covid-19 vaccine "changes your RNA."

Darris Friend, a Gainesville employee who rejects his city's vaccine rules, was a featured speaker at the rally in Newberry, Florida, organized by DeSantis to criticize mandates. Friend delivered the remarks behind a podium with the official state seal, directly next to DeSantis. The governor watched Friend as he spoke, but after the conspiracy-theory comment DeSantis made no effort to correct it.

The left now calls him by the nicknames DeathSantis and DeathSatan because of the evil way he has handled the pandemic in Florida. Beware Americans, this lunatic wants to be the president one day...  ???

T. D.

Quote from: 71 dB on September 15, 2021, 06:29:00 AM
The left now calls him by the nicknames DeathSantis and DeathSatan because of the evil way he has handled the pandemic in Florida. Beware Americans, this lunatic wants to be the president one day...  ???

You should be careful about assuming that all GQP Cheeto Mussolinists are idiots, though doubtless many are.
De Santis, for instance, is a graduate of Yale and Harvard Law School.
Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz, two of the most repellent Tea Partyites and apparent drooling mouth-breathers, also have Ivy degrees (both undergrad - Stanford in Hawley's case - and law school) and distinguished academic records.

One might theorize that these worthies have made certain utility-based calculations.

SimonNZ

Quote from: 71 dB on September 15, 2021, 06:29:00 AM
The left now calls him by the nicknames DeathSantis and DeathSatan

Please show ne where what you mistakenly call "the left" are saying these non-punning non-jokes worthy of a very slow ten year old. Because a Google search isn't finding then for me and the left I know is capable of actual wit.

T. D.

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 15, 2021, 08:06:44 AM
Please show me where what you mistakenly call "the left" are saying these non-punning non-jokes worthy of a very slow ten year old. Because a Google search isn't finding then for me and the left I know is capable of actual wit.

Forget it. This dude (ironically) follows GQP logic...no doubt somebody on Facebook, Youtube or Twitter posted that "'the left' is doing/saying such-and-such"...THEREFORE IT HAPPENED!!!

DavidW

Quote from: T. D. on September 15, 2021, 07:28:02 AM
One might theorize that these worthies have made certain utility-based calculations.

Yes there is a calculated aspect to how Paul, Cruz, Santis etc. engage with their base.  It is not just what they say and how they say it, they adopt a certain persona which is not necessarily their true self.  More like acting a part in a play.