Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on September 15, 2021, 08:33:50 AM
Yes there is a calculated aspect to how Paul, Cruz, Santis etc. engage with their base.  It is not just what they say and how they say it, they adopt a certain persona which is not necessarily their true self.  More like acting a part in a play.

True, but it's not a flattering reflection on either their true self or their integrity
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

The pandemic marks another grim milestone: 1 in 500 Americans have died of covid-19
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: T. D. on September 15, 2021, 07:28:02 AM
You should be careful about assuming that all GQP Cheeto Mussolinists are idiots, though doubtless many are.
De Santis, for instance, is a graduate of Yale and Harvard Law School.
Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz, two of the most repellent Tea Partyites and apparent drooling mouth-breathers, also have Ivy degrees (both undergrad - Stanford in Hawley's case - and law school) and distinguished academic records.

One might theorize that these worthies have made certain utility-based calculations.

Where did I call DeSantis an idiot? I called him lunatic. Completely different. Also, being a graduate of Yale doesn't tell much. Rich daddy I guess?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 15, 2021, 08:06:44 AM
Please show ne where what you mistakenly call "the left" are saying these non-punning non-jokes worthy of a very slow ten year old. Because a Google search isn't finding then for me and the left I know is capable of actual wit.

Sorry, your Google searches suck.

https://hillreporter.com/defying-deathsantis-another-red-county-in-florida-rejects-governors-anti-mask-mandate-110221

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 15, 2021, 10:58:07 AM
Karl,

I didn't access your specific article but google about Idaho and Covid and found this--what's going on in Idaho PLUS its impact on the state of Washington.   :( >:(

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/northwest/idahos-covid-crisis-is-straining-hospitals-across-the-border-in-washington/

PD

Yowch, PD!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 15, 2021, 08:06:44 AM
Please show ne where what you mistakenly call "the left" are saying these non-punning non-jokes worthy of a very slow ten year old. Because a Google search isn't finding then for me and the left I know is capable of actual wit.

I've seen that label for DeSantis quite a bit for the last few months, and mostly from what might be called Democratic mainstream, not the Left.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

T. D.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-15/montana-s-largest-hospital-close-to-rationing-life-saving-care

Montana's largest hospital is considering crisis standards of care procedures that grant authority to decide who receives life-saving treatment, the Billings Gazette reported Wednesday.

Intensive care unit capacity at Billings Clinic is at 150% as Covid-19 rages, the newspaper said.

"If it comes to a point where we have to make those incredibly [difficult] life or death situations, we will have an objective team that will be available to provide council and make those decisions," said Laurie Smith, chief nursing officer.

MAGA!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: T. D. on September 15, 2021, 02:29:37 PM
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-15/montana-s-largest-hospital-close-to-rationing-life-saving-care

Montana's largest hospital is considering crisis standards of care procedures that grant authority to decide who receives life-saving treatment, the Billings Gazette reported Wednesday.

Intensive care unit capacity at Billings Clinic is at 150% as Covid-19 rages, the newspaper said.

"If it comes to a point where we have to make those incredibly [difficult] life or death situations, we will have an objective team that will be available to provide council and make those decisions," said Laurie Smith, chief nursing officer.

MAGA!

Basically Red states now have death panels. :(
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

1800+ Americans perishing daily of COVID-19
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

krummholz

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 15, 2021, 10:58:07 AM
Karl,

I didn't access your specific article but google about Idaho and Covid and found this--what's going on in Idaho PLUS its impact on the state of Washington.   :( >:(

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/northwest/idahos-covid-crisis-is-straining-hospitals-across-the-border-in-washington/

PD

Yes, PBS Newshour last night had an interview with the director of a major eastern Washington (Spokane, I think) hospital who said their facilities were stretched pretty nearly to the max with both their own patients and with overflow from over the Idaho border, to the point where they expect soon to have to implement emergency standards of care. :(

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: krummholz on September 17, 2021, 05:16:11 AM
Yes, PBS Newshour last night had an interview with the director of a major eastern Washington (Spokane, I think) hospital who said their facilities were stretched pretty nearly to the max with both their own patients and with overflow from over the Idaho border, to the point where they expect soon to have to implement emergency standards of care. :(
God help us!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

71 dB

New anti-vaxxer's way of fighting Covid: Snorting and gargling Iodine.  :-\

Karl Henning

A few caveats to consider as we look at alarming coronavirus data from schools this year

By Felicia Gans Globe Staff, Updated September 17, 2021, 1:53 p.m.

State education leaders on Thursday released the first weekly coronavirus case report of the year from schools — 1,230 cases among students and 190 among staff for Monday through Wednesday. For many, the numbers feel significantly higher than last year's reports, during which the highest-ever student case count was 1,095 the week of April 8 to 14.

While alarming for some, experts say the increase in the school population, rise in pooled testing, and spread of the Delta variant made the high case count relatively expected.

Here are the caveats to consider, experts say:

The in-person student population has grown

At the end of the 2020-21 academic year, when nearly all schools had been required to return to full-time, in-person learning, the state still had only an estimated 735,000 students attending school. Families had the option last year to keep students in remote-only learning models, and thousands chose that approach.

Cases among remote-learning students and remote-working staff members were not tracked by the state.

This year, the state has taken away the option for schools to offer remote learning to families, apart from narrow exceptions that existed prior to the pandemic. As a result, the state's in-person student body has grown to about 920,000 students.

The way data is being collected has changed

Last year, cases only were reported for students and staff members who had been in a district building within seven days prior to testing positive. This year, cases are being reported for any student enrolled and staff member employed by the school district, regardless of whether they've been inside the building.

Local school districts will be required to report positive cases among students and staff members to this state this year. That requirement began for the 2020-21 school year in mid-October 2020.

More schools are participating in COVID-19 testing

More than double the number of public and private schools in Massachusetts are participating in some form of COVID-19 testing this year, compared to last year, according to the state. All testing is provided to schools at no cost to the district.

This academic year, more than 2,200 public and private schools are using rapid testing, pooled testing, a "test and stay" program for testing close contacts, or a combination of all three. Among public schools, 993 are signed up for all three modes, as of this week.

"Just as we are wearing masks, just as we are encouraging vaccinations, this is a mitigation strategy," said Dr. Safdar Medina, the pediatric director at Tri-River Family Health Center in Uxbridge and a professor at the University of Massachusetts. "Identifying a case is really the key to prevent that case from spreading."

Medina encouraged every family to opt in to pooled testing, noting that it's a way to promptly identify and isolate people who test positive and to prevent in-school transmission. In some communities, getting families to participate in the program has been one of the largest obstacles.

In Boston, for instance, where about 50,000 students are enrolled, less than one-third, or 16,512, have opted in through the district's digital portal. Some have filled out paper consent forms that have not yet been uploaded, according to the district. Pooled testing is available at all 123 Boston Public Schools; it began at some schools on Thursday and will start at others next week.

Delta is more transmissible

The Delta variant of the coronavirus is more transmissible than earlier variants, so as Delta causes a rise in cases community wide, cases will inevitably increase among the school population, too.

"We've always seen that what you see in the school is going to be a reflection of what you see in the community," said Dr. Shira Doron, an infectious disease physician and hospital epidemiologist at Tufts Medical Center. "It is a reflection of the fact that we're in a Delta era, not a reflection of something that's really dangerous about schools themselves."

High numbers aren't necessarily a cause for alarm

"We don't need the numbers to be as low in September as they were in May to prevent morbidity and mortality, which is ultimately what we want to prevent," Doron said.

Because older students and all staff members have had the opportunity to get vaccinated, schools can tolerate a larger amount of risk without putting children in harm's way, Doron said.

"Is the goal to prevent all person-to-person transmission in school? I don't think it's possible this year, and I don't think it needs to be," Doron said, but added it's important for governmental bodies to define what the goal should be.

"What number do we want to see?"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mandryka

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 18, 2021, 06:38:10 AM

"We don't need the numbers to be as low in September as they were in May to prevent morbidity and mortality, which is ultimately what we want to prevent," Doron said.

Because older students and all staff members have had the opportunity to get vaccinated, schools can tolerate a larger amount of risk without putting children in harm's way, Doron said.

"Is the goal to prevent all person-to-person transmission in school? I don't think it's possible this year, and I don't think it needs to be," Doron said, but added it's important for governmental bodies to define what the goal should be.

"What number do we want to see?"

One thing which I think we're seeing in the uk is that people don't much care about the numbers: they don't care about how many people die or how many children have to go to hospital, apart from muttering something platitudinous like "oh how terrible!" Numbers are boring, they're easily hidden or put out of mind, and anyway it's always someone else who dies or who gets seriously ill.

What people care about is having the freedom to earn and spend and party and take a holiday, so long as they're getting that, God's in his heaven and all's right with the world.

So my feeling is that in the US, as here, the numbers "we want to see" is entirely driven by the maximum the health system can handle.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

71 dB

The can of dewormers

I was one who a while ago laughed at people taking "horse dewormers", but now my attitude has changed after hearing more information and having a more nyanced picture. I am surprised how badly Ivermectin has been dealt with in the media. I haven't seen anyone give the "whole picture" of it. It is like getting one piece of a puzzle somewhere and then you have to solve that puzzle yourself.

(1) Some people seem to use Ivermectin as a political tool to point out that anti-vaxxers are taking "horse paste."
(2) Ivermectin has different doses for humans and horses. Human dose is safe for humans. Horse dose is NOT.
(3) Ivermectin is a generic drug meaning Big Pharma can't do price gouging with it.
(4) Pharmacies have been told not to sell Ivermectin (that's why some people get horse version instead!)
(5) Almost half of FDA's funding comes from the companies it regulates (insane!).
(6) The effectiveness of Ivermectin (for humans) to battle Covid-19 is not clear.
(7) Monoclonal antibodies seems to be the best* Covid-19 treatment (but only rich people have access to it).
(9) Some people use Ivermectin as a scam to cash in (consultation fee).

It has taken so long to get a better picture of the dewormer issue! It is dangerous to jump to conclusions too early, because you never know what kind of agenda people have. It is as if everyone is after money these days and nobody is interested about the truth. Ivermectin seems to be an issue so versatile, that any group of people can look at it from a particular angle and use it cynically to advance their agenda  :-X If I am wrong with any of the points listed above please educate me.

* After getting fully vaccinated, which is a no-brainer at this point given the data of how well the vaccines work.

Pohjolas Daughter

Some encouraging news:  https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/20/health/pfizer-child-vaccine-data/index.html

"Covid-19 vaccine for 5- to 11-year-olds is safe and shows 'robust' antibody response, Pfizer says"

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on September 20, 2021, 03:20:21 AM
The can of dewormers

I was one who a while ago laughed at people taking "horse dewormers", but now my attitude has changed after hearing more information and having a more nyanced picture. I am surprised how badly Ivermectin has been dealt with in the media. I haven't seen anyone give the "whole picture" of it. It is like getting one piece of a puzzle somewhere and then you have to solve that puzzle yourself.

(1) Some people seem to use Ivermectin as a political tool to point out that anti-vaxxers are taking "horse paste."
(2) Ivermectin has different doses for humans and horses. Human dose is safe for humans. Horse dose is NOT.
(3) Ivermectin is a generic drug meaning Big Pharma can't do price gouging with it.
(4) Pharmacies have been told not to sell Ivermectin (that's why some people get horse version instead!)
(5) Almost half of FDA's funding comes from the companies it regulates (insane!).
(6) The effectiveness of Ivermectin (for humans) to battle Covid-19 is not clear.
(7) Monoclonal antibodies seems to be the best* Covid-19 treatment (but only rich people have access to it).
(9) Some people use Ivermectin as a scam to cash in (consultation fee).

It has taken so long to get a better picture of the dewormer issue! It is dangerous to jump to conclusions too early, because you never know what kind of agenda people have. It is as if everyone is after money these days and nobody is interested about the truth. Ivermectin seems to be an issue so versatile, that any group of people can look at it from a particular angle and use it cynically to advance their agenda  :-X If I am wrong with any of the points listed above please educate me.

* After getting fully vaccinated, which is a no-brainer at this point given the data of how well the vaccines work.
That's good that you did your own research instead of relying on whatever the mainstream narrative is.

Nuance doesn't sell, after all. Emotion does. What you wrote wouldn't make money. But "look at these dumb anti-vaxxers taking horse dewormer, let's point and laugh!" does sell.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie