Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Corona passport comes into effect in Finland when this Friday is over and is in effect at least until the end of this year.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

COVID is shaving years off life expectancy in sun belt, great plains

By Jonathan Levin Bloomberg,
Updated October 15, 2021, 12:10 p.m.

Covid-19 has cut more than two years from life expectancy in 16 U.S. states in the past year, with the worst damage concentrated in the Sun Belt and the Great Plains.

In Texas, Covid-19 caused an implied reduction in life expectancy at birth of 2.6 years to 76.4 in the twelve months ending in September, according to an analysis of death statistics from University of California at Los Angeles sociology professor Patrick Heuveline, an update of data originally published in the BMJ Open journal.

In Arizona, the reduction was 2.6 years to 77.2 and in South Dakota, 2.5 years to 76.8. That's a dramatic shift from the first year of the pandemic, when Northeast states topped the list.

Covid-19 has been consistently among the leading causes of death in the U.S., but the widely-used deaths per capita metric can sometimes lead to misleading conclusions, because it fails to consider the effect population age has on outcomes. The virus is many orders of magnitude more deadly for the elderly as opposed to the young, but Heuveline's data takes age and gender into account to make comparisons possible.

Nationwide, Covid cut life expectancy by 1.5 years to 78.7 in the twelve months ended Sept. 30, according to Heuveline's data.

Covid-19 has caused more than 721,000 deaths in the U.S., more than any other pandemic, and the highest toll of any country.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

So, my sister is making her own hydroxochloroquine to take as a "preventative" against COVID-19. She told me her process which just involves grapefruit and lemons, so I doubt she'll do herself any mischief, and she'll take in Vitamin C. She also thinks that Ivermectin is a good treatment. I asked her just who claims so, and she directed me to "America's Frontline Doctors"

Subsequently I found this.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

krummholz

Very sad to hear this, Karl. "America's Frontline Doctors" have been in the news for some months as one of the biggest purveyors of medical misinformation about COVID-19.

Karl Henning

Quote from: krummholz on October 17, 2021, 04:23:31 PM
Very sad to hear this, Karl. "America's Frontline Doctors" have been in the news for some months as one of the biggest purveyors of medical misinformation about COVID-19.

My dear sister, unfortunately, is a die-hard Trumpkin, which "pairs well" with her appetite for conspiracy theory. I'll try to get through, but I don't know if it's possible.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 17, 2021, 03:43:13 PM
So, my sister is making her own hydroxochloroquine to take as a "preventative" against COVID-19. She told me her process which just involves grapefruit and lemons, so I doubt she'll do herself any mischief, and she'll take in Vitamin C. She also thinks that Ivermectin is a good treatment. I asked her just who claims so, and she directed me to "America's Frontline Doctors"

Auts!  :-\ I am lucky to have a smart sister immune to blatant misinformation and able to do critical thinking. My sister has lost a few of her friends during this pandemic, because those friends of hers fell for the propaganda becaming anti-vaxxers and don't want to speak with my sister (pro-vaccines) anymore. Crazy. This planet is becoming a hell for rational people because there is so much crazy stuff everywhere.  :P

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 17, 2021, 04:27:53 PM
My dear sister, unfortunately, is a die-hard Trumpkin, which "pairs well" with her appetite for conspiracy theory. I'll try to get through, but I don't know if it's possible.

Sorry about this Karl. So many families in the US are victims of this cultural division. Getting through with Trumpists is very difficult. The most important thing is to be respectable and concentrate on encouraging these people to think themselves, get them to question some of their own believes.

This cultural war between "right" and "left" is beneficial to the top 1 % because it hides the fact the real war is class war between the bottom 99 % and the top 1 %.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 17, 2021, 03:43:13 PM

I'm very sorry to hear this Karl.   :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Zoos are starting to vaccinate their great apes and big cats against Covid-19 with a new vaccine created especially for animals by animal health company Zoetis.  At the St. Louis zoo, "About 35 mammals at the zoo have received their first dose, including several other chimps, some orangutans, lemurs, foxes and most of the zoo's big cats.

"Our great apes and our big cats were our highest-priority animals," Chinnadurai said. "So far everyone has bounced back very well from the injection."

The great apes and big cats were a high priority because they can contract the same viruses that plague people.

"There are a number of upper respiratory diseases that we could transmit to an ape or an ape could potentially transmit to a person," Chinnadurai said. "It's a little less common for us to see this type of disease transmission go from a human to something like a big cat, but it's still definitely possible."

The vaccine, developed by the animal health company Zoetis, has not received full approval by the Food and Drug Administration, though the U.S. Department of Agriculture has authorized it for experimental use on a case-by-case basis."

https://news.stlpublicradio.org/show/st-louis-on-the-air/2021-10-06/why-jimiyu-and-orangutans-and-big-cats-too-are-getting-covid-19-shots

And if you scroll down a bit, you can see the orangutans getting their shots at the National Zoo (They are rewarded with a treat of honey afterwards):  https://twitter.com/NationalZoo

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

That's interesting, hadn't heard about that, but Finland is starting to vaccinate their mink population now.

A very good, humorous clip with the orangutangs, communicating with hand signs!

Karl Henning

Thanks, all. I have two other sisters, one Trumpist (but she is sensible about vaccines) the other not. I have been estranged from a brother over Trump. Part of you wants to try to discuss things like rational adults, but no one benefits if you're knocking your noggin against a wall.

And: Junk Science is King in Florida

Miami school says vaccinated students must stay home for 30 days to protect others, citing discredited info
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Colin Powell dead of Corona according to the news.

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 18, 2021, 05:12:36 AM
Finland is starting to vaccinate their mink population now.

I haven't heard about that...  :P

MusicTurner

Quote from: 71 dB on October 18, 2021, 05:45:04 AM
(...)

I haven't heard about that...  :P

It's a noted story here, because the culling of the entire Danish mink population is still a subject for discussion and even court proceedings.

MusicTurner

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 12, 2021, 12:47:37 AM
(...)

2) reports that the quickly introduced, Russian 'Sputnik' vaccine was the result of an insider spying at the Astra Zeneca work.

This story seems to have been retracted:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1504646/correction-russia-copied-AstraZeneca-Sputnik-jab

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on October 18, 2021, 05:45:04 AM
Colin Powell dead of Corona according to the news.

The scary part of his passing was the fact that he was fully vaccinated. :-\ But he was being treated for Multiple myeloma, which I'm sure weakened his immune system, so this didn't exactly help when he got COVID.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 18, 2021, 07:37:11 AM
The scary part of his passing was the fact that he was fully vaccinated. :-\

You must start to expect vaccine waning to be increasingly significant after six months -- that is what was shown in Israel and the UK, the first countries to vaccinate on a large scale and hence the first countries to experience waning on an important scale.

I believe one consequence to draw is that once vaccine passports have been introduced, they will be hard to take away, because governments say they will need to continue to incentivise people to take booster jabs. Only a new generation of very long lasting vaccines will enable people to argue against permanent diminution of the civil liberties which were in place in 2019. I haven't heard that such vaccines are in the pipeline. And of course Governments, and companies like Cambridge Analytica, may have their own, non health related,  reasons to keep these population wide surveillance and control tools in place.

All these consequences of the epidemic, I for one had no idea in March 2020 that it would lead to these political consequences. Though it's not surprising in hindsight.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

MusicTurner

- 3rd, updated jab has begun in some countries, including mine, where I might get one in early January or so.

The corona passport has been abolished in my country, but is needed for travels abroad.

- EU closer to recommending and acknowledging vaccines for children aged 5-11, the story goes today.

krummholz

Quote from: Mandryka on October 18, 2021, 07:44:24 AM
You must start to expect vaccine waning to be increasingly significant after six months -- that is what was shown in Israel and the UK, the first countries to vaccinate on a large scale and hence the first countries to experience waning on an important scale.

That's true, but in Powell's case, it was more likely immune suppression that did him in, rather than vaccine waning. Multiple myeloma is a form of cancer for which, as I understand it, patients are given medications that have immune suppression as a side effect. With a weak immune system, one is both extra-vulnerable to pathogens like this virus, and also vaccines have less effect in the first place.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 18, 2021, 07:37:11 AM
The scary part of his passing was the fact that he was fully vaccinated. :-\ But he was being treated for Multiple myeloma, which I'm sure weakened his immune system, so this didn't exactly help when he got COVID.

The vaccines don't make anyone immortal. They reduce the risk of dying from Covid (by factor of seven I believe). In his case that kind of reduction in the risk just wasn't enough to save him.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 18, 2021, 05:25:15 AM

And: Junk Science is King in Florida

Miami school says vaccinated students must stay home for 30 days to protect others, citing discredited info
Good Lord!!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter