Coronavirus thread

Started by JBS, March 12, 2020, 07:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

Slightly off topic - I had my third Covid jab several months ago but yesterday I had a Shingles jab. No idea why I was invited unless it is going to be the next epidemic/pandemic.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Biffo on May 21, 2022, 08:14:04 AM
Slightly off topic - I had my third Covid jab several months ago but yesterday I had a Shingles jab. No idea why I was invited unless it is going to be the next epidemic/pandemic.

May just have been time.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

drogulus

Moderna's omicron-combo booster outcompetes current booster

There's still much uncertainty about a fall booster campaign—including what boosters will be offered and to whom. It's also still unclear if SARS-CoV-2 will become a seasonal virus. But, given the continued waves of variants and subvariants, along with waning immunity from current vaccines and boosters, vaccine makers, regulators, and experts have broadly accepted the idea of a fall booster campaign for this year.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

MusicTurner

Omicron BA5 variant on the rise here in DK, also meaning a general rise, earlier than expected.

So far, an oncoming extra boost is only planned for those with a very reduced immune system (which wouldn't include me, since I only have relatively mild asthma).

The corona subject has been downgraded a lot in the press here however, so one has to do extra research to be better updated internationally (which I don't these days).

Karl Henning

Covid is making flu and other common viruses act in unfamiliar ways
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Well, colds and flu are definitely back with a vengeance this year in Australia. I myself am currently sniffling and coughing away. After a couple of winters of people not mixing, all the viruses have a fresh batch of people to infect.

It's not great fun giving yourself a rapid antigen test just to check what it is that you have (negative, and my symptoms aren't that severe so at this point I'm feeling the negative test is probably correct).

But also... my feelings towards the guy who was coughing every 30 seconds at the event I went to on Saturday morning are probably more strongly negative than they would have been in previous years. If you have respiratory symptoms, stay home. You bastard. On one level I can forgive him if he's only given me a cold (and circumstances very strongly suggest that Saturday morning is when I was infected), but on another I'm pretty darn angry that he gave me anything at all.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

MusicTurner

Agree - the earlier cautiousness seems largely gone these days. For example among shop employees as well. Here, tests are also far fewer, and getting the  results of them slower too, except from home tests, that are, admittedly, cheap, but not so common.

Right now, none in ICU, however.

Karl Henning

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 14, 2022, 03:47:03 AM
Agree - the earlier cautiousness seems largely gone these days. For example among shop employees as well. Here, tests are also far fewer, and getting the  results of them slower too, except from home tests, that are, admittedly, cheap, but not so common.

That last is much to be thankful for.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

premont

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 14, 2022, 03:47:03 AM

Where?

According to Statens Seruminstitut today: 9 in ICU, including 2 in respirator - the same count as yesterday.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

MusicTurner

I use the TV2 info website,
https://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/dagens-coronatal-overblik-over-smittede-indlagte-og-doede

but yes, my post was wrong; I meant 0 on ventilator/respirator, and not ICU (and may still have read wrong).

Today they say 3 on ventilator, apparently it was 2 yesterday. Sometimes, the numbers on that page is old info.

premont

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 15, 2022, 09:15:23 AM
I use the TV2 info website,
https://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/dagens-coronatal-overblik-over-smittede-indlagte-og-doede

but yes, my post was wrong; I meant 0 on ventilator/respirator, and not ICU (and may still have read wrong).

Today they say 3 on ventilator, apparently it was 2 yesterday. Sometimes, the numbers on that page is old info.

This is why I use SSI's own webpage, the covid19 dashboard. The only problem with this homepage may be retarded updating but this can be seen clearly from the site. They have eg. abandoned updating in week-ends. But this may change when the third (or is it the fourth?) wave hits.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/aa41b29149f24e20a4007a0c4e13db1d
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

MusicTurner

Yes. The TV2 page does have some advantages too, however - including the simple, general design with a lot of easily digestable info, and the international aspects.

premont

To be fair I use the SSI dashboard as my primary source of information, but I also peek regularly at the TV2 page.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Karl Henning

Glad to see you chaps!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

premont

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 15, 2022, 12:38:34 PM
Glad to see you chaps!

I'm glad to see you too.

But forgive us that we use the thread to discuss local Danish problems.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

MusicTurner

BA5 now causing the DK government to promise a 4th vaccine boost to all above 50 years of age this Autumn, but no lock-downs in the foreseeable future. Likely a strategy to be followed by other countries.

EDIT: future DK strategy: reducing the severity of sickness via vaccines and treatment; not trying to reduce infection rates via currently available vaccines, since they aren't efficient enough for that. But reducing infection rates by other means too.

premont

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 21, 2022, 11:08:28 PM
BA5 now causing the DK government to promise a 4th vaccine boost to all above 50 years of age this Autumn, but no lock-downs in the foreseeable future. Likely a strategy to be followed by other countries.

I don't really understand this strategy, because we are going to get the next wave long before October.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

MusicTurner

Yes, it's being debated & some are suggesting an earlier roll out, but at least the ball has been put on the field again. Personally I'm relieved about the lowering of the age group somewhat already.

MusicTurner

Paxlovid pill, likely available this autumn, showing extremely good results against corona, reducing hospitalization rate by 85% according to WHO, the press is reporting here.

Karl Henning

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 22, 2022, 09:52:22 AM
Paxlovid pill, likely available this autumn, showing extremely good results against corona, reducing hospitalization rate by 85% accordong to WHO, the press is reporting here.

It certainly helped me mend in a timely fashion.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA