Metropolitan Opera - free nightly streams

Started by T. D., March 14, 2020, 07:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wendell_E

Different strokes. Fanciulla is my favorite Puccini opera, and Lulu's my favorite opera, period. Though there are many better-cast performances of the Puccini, and I really don't like the production of Lulu. I'd wish for a better Alwa as well, though the rest of the cast is strong.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Handelian

Quote from: Wendell_E on November 13, 2020, 01:49:25 AM
Different strokes. Fanciulla is my favorite Puccini opera, and Lulu's my favorite opera, period. Though there are many better-cast performances of the Puccini, and I really don't like the production of Lulu. I'd wish for a better Alwa as well, though the rest of the cast is strong.

It would certainly be a dull world if we were all the same. I did actually go and see one of the performances of the Puccini at the cinema live. It was quite enjoyable. I did actually go and see Wozzek live too and felt as if I'd been dragged through a sewer of the mind. Since I reckon there are enough things to depress one without Mr Berg adding to them. But hope you enjoy Lulu. I have seen a bit of it but not my cup of tea. Have a great day!

bhodges

Quote from: Wendell_E on November 13, 2020, 01:49:25 AM

Did you like the previous Met Lulu production, by John Dexter? I do like the Kentridge, but Dexter's Art Nouveau sets were beautifully in keeping with the time period. PS, quite a choice for a favorite opera! But I can identify, having seen both Met productions a total of maybe 8 or 10 times.

--Bruce

Handelian

Coming up next week:

Monday, November 16
Verdi's Don Carlo
Starring Marina Poplavskaya, Roberto Alagna, Simon Keenlyside, and Ferruccio Furlanetto, conducted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin.

Tuesday, November 17
Gounod's Faust
Starring Marina Poplavskaya, Jonas Kaufmann, and René Pape, conducted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin. From December 10, 2011.

Wednesday, November 18
Dvořák's Rusalka
Starring Renée Fleming, Emily Magee, Dolora Zajick, Piotr Beczała, and John Relyea, conducted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin. From February 8, 2014.

Thursday, November 19
Verdi's La Traviata
Starring Diana Damrau, Juan Diego Flórez, and Quinn Kelsey, conducted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin. From December 15, 2018.

Friday, November 20
Poulenc's Dialogues des Carmélites
Starring Isabel Leonard, Adrianne Pieczonka, and Karita Mattila, conducted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin. From May 11, 2019.

Saturday, November 21
Puccini's Turandot
Starring Christine Goerke, Eleonora Buratto, Yusif Eyvazov, and James Morris, conducted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin. From October 12, 2019.

Sunday, November 22
Berg's Wozzeck
Starring Elza van den Heever, Tamara Mumford, Christopher Ventris, Gerhard Siegel, Andrew Staples, Peter Mattei, and Christian Van Horn, conducted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin. From January 11, 2020.

Wendell_E

Quote from: Brewski on November 13, 2020, 11:09:25 AM
Did you like the previous Met Lulu production, by John Dexter? I do like the Kentridge, but Dexter's Art Nouveau sets were beautifully in keeping with the time period. PS, quite a choice for a favorite opera! But I can identify, having seen both Met productions a total of maybe 8 or 10 times.

--Bruce

I loved the Dexter production. It and Graham Vick's Glyndebourne production are probably my favorites, and I think I've seen every version that's been released commercially.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Handelian

Don Carlo

What a great opera! Verdi at his most penetrating.

Well cast and brilliantly directed. Sounded like a great evening.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Handelian on November 14, 2020, 01:13:06 AM
Coming up next week:

Sunday, November 22
Berg's Wozzeck
Starring Elza van den Heever, Tamara Mumford, Christopher Ventris, Gerhard Siegel, Andrew Staples, Peter Mattei, and Christian Van Horn, conducted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin. From January 11, 2020.

I was onboard with this until I saw it's conducted by Nézet-Séguin. I'm better off watching paint dry.

Handelian

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 17, 2020, 08:41:15 PM
I was onboard with this until I saw it's conducted by Nézet-Séguin. I'm better off watching paint dry.

That's funny because the Don Carlo was splendidly conducted. But then I find paint drying more pleasant than watching Wozzek. I did go to see it at the cinema and found it an awfully depressing experience. Not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

Wendell_E

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 17, 2020, 08:41:15 PM

This entire week is conducted by Nézet-Séguin. They're calling it "Yannick Week".

Mirror Image

Quote from: Handelian on November 17, 2020, 09:50:38 PM
That's funny because the Don Carlo was splendidly conducted. But then I find paint drying more pleasant than watching Wozzek. I did go to see it at the cinema and found it an awfully depressing experience. Not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

At this juncture, I think we know how you feel about Wozzeck. ::)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Wendell_E on November 18, 2020, 02:08:03 AM
This entire week is conducted by Nézet-Séguin. They're calling it "Yannick Week".

God help us! :D

T. D.

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 19, 2020, 04:03:58 PM
At this juncture, I think we know how you feel about Wozzeck. ::)

Wozzeck was the first opera I attended! I liked it and became an occasional operagoer. But I'm weird and have bad taste.

I've heard raves about this Lulu production

but haven't sprung for the DVD. I own the Boulez (Teresa Stratas) recording and attended a Met production (Dexter) in 2001.

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on November 19, 2020, 05:01:29 PM
Wozzeck was the first opera I attended! I liked it and became an occasional operagoer. But I'm weird and have bad taste.

Excellent! You're no weirder or have as bad taste as I do. ;) We like Wozzeck, so I guess this makes us rather deplorable. ;D

Handelian

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 19, 2020, 06:28:56 PM
Excellent! You're no weirder or have as bad taste as I do. ;) We like Wozzeck, so I guess this makes us rather deplorable. ;D

Not at all. Just people with different tastes in opera than I have. No harm in that. The world would be a dull place if everyone was the same.

bhodges

Someone at the Met has a wicked sense of humor. On Thanksgiving Day, the nightly stream is everyone's family favorite, Elektra;D

https://www.metopera.org/user-information/nightly-met-opera-streams/

(I'll probably tune in. Haven't yet seen this production, and reports on Salonen were excellent, if I recall.)

--Bruce

Handelian

Quote from: Brewski on November 20, 2020, 09:38:00 AM
Someone at the Met has a wicked sense of humor. On Thanksgiving Day, the nightly stream is everyone's family favorite, Elektra;D

https://www.metopera.org/user-information/nightly-met-opera-streams/

(I'll probably tune in. Haven't yet seen this production, and reports on Salonen were excellent, if I recall.)

--Bruce

I did see it at the cinema. Can't say I go a bundle on the opera or the production.