Samuil Feinberg (1890–1962)

Started by schnittkease, March 15, 2020, 10:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schnittkease

M.-A. Hamelin just recorded Piano Sonatas Nos. 1–6. This is the type of advocacy Feinberg needs.

Iota

Thanks for mentioning. I've seen the name around but couldn't recall ever hearing any, so put it into google which  offered the below, on the strength of which I shall be making further investigations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzX-7QYHK2c

schnittkease

Feinberg was known more as a pianist during his lifetime. Many people consider his WTC one of the best recorded.

Iota

Quote from: schnittkease on March 15, 2020, 12:29:49 PM
Many people consider his WTC one of the best recorded.

So little I know, so much I don't. Another to add to the search list.

Roy Bland

Piano Concerto 3 pays tribute to Rachmaninov but is has also his own voice

JBS

Quote from: schnittkease on March 15, 2020, 10:46:51 AM
M.-A. Hamelin just recorded Piano Sonatas Nos. 1–6. This is the type of advocacy Feinberg needs.

I have it, played it a couple of times, but not enough to allow me to say more than I think it's very good music making.
[asin]B0833VRHLQ[/asin]

Hooefully Mr. Hamelin will go on to record the other six sonatas.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

staxomega

Quote from: Iota on March 15, 2020, 03:26:35 PM
So little I know, so much I don't. Another to add to the search list.

There are many public domain releases out there. Unfortunately none of them sound very good compared to mono LPs. I would especially avoid the very expensive Russian Piano School (Talents of Russia) release which uses noise reduction (creating a boxy closed in sound), adds fake ambient stereo effect and has a weird DSP effect giving the upper midrange a glassy, echoey effect. Really a disservice to Feinberg's tone.

For his piano sonatas, these are some recordings that came before Hamelin, they're very good performances.

Iota

Quote from: hvbias on March 16, 2020, 07:41:27 AM
There are many public domain releases out there. Unfortunately none of them sound very good compared to mono LPs. I would especially avoid the very expensive Russian Piano School (Talents of Russia) release which uses noise reduction (creating a boxy closed in sound), adds fake ambient stereo effect and has a weird DSP effect giving the upper midrange a glassy, echoey effect. Really a disservice to Feinberg's tone.

Many thanks for your very informed response. I managed to stream some of the WTC yesterday, the style very much of its time I thought and although the playing clearly very fine, I'm not sure I was quite in the mood for it. Will be revisiting though as these things can change.

Quote from: hvbias on March 16, 2020, 07:41:27 AM
For his piano sonatas, these are some recordings that came before Hamelin, they're very good performances.

Thanks for these too, will see if I can track them down.

Roy Bland

MusicTurner

That CD is of the utmost interest. Feinberg should be much better known, now that composers like Medtner or Alkan have become more of a household name among classical collectors, and received many recordings. Feinberg's music is just as fascinating and fully on a par with Scriabin's, but I don't have the technical analysis capabilities to judge the degree of which he is also continueing Scriabin traits, or being innovative. Yet: magical music, and as such, top tier.