Obrecht's Office

Started by Mahlerian, March 21, 2020, 03:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahlerian

I couldn't find a thread for discussing the music of Jacob Obrecht (wiki), so I'm opening one.

I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to sing in some of this fascinating music that is both intricate and direct by turns. Any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/v/RYYVCyXOarc

https://www.youtube.com/v/SzLgQ4ixHxc
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

GioCar

Great to see you again here, Ben. Your posts were missed very much.

Mandryka

Don't forget the secular music, there's an agreeable recording dedicated to it from Camerata Trajectina.

Check out some YouTube things - a mass from Cantus Modalis, a motet (Salve Regina) from Bjorn Schmelzer in a 2016 concert, and an earlier performance of the same motet from Capella Pratensis.   Let me know if you can't find them.

The motets have been less well treated on record than the masses for some reason. Eric Van Nevel/Currende Consort have probably done more than anyone to let us hear them. But don't forget the wonderful Pater Noster from Anthony Rooley, in the Musicke of Sundrie Kinds set. And the equally wonderful Omnis spiritus laudet from Ensemble Daedalus.

I believe that we know more about Obrecht's life than any other c15 composer, there's a biographical study by Rob C Wegman which I own and I'm glad to have it, not least because of the comments on style and chronology. There are probably more up to date publications - please let me know if you find anything.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Mahlerian

Quote from: Mandryka on March 22, 2020, 01:59:13 AM
Don't forget the secular music, there's an agreeable recording dedicated to it from Camerata Trajectina.

Check out some YouTube things - a mass from Cantus Modalis, a motet (Salve Regina) from Bjorn Schmelzer in a 2016 concert, and an earlier performance of the same motet from Capella Pratensis.   Let me know if you can't find them.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll take a look.

Quote from: Mandryka on March 22, 2020, 01:59:13 AMI believe that we know more about Obrecht's life than any other c15 composer, there's a biographical study by Rob C Wegman which I own and I'm glad to have it, not least because of the comments on style and chronology. There are probably more up to date publications - please let me know if you find anything.

I read Wegman's study last year, enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm not aware of any significant updates to Obrecht scholarship since, but there may very well have been some.

Quote from: GioCar on March 21, 2020, 10:59:48 PMGreat to see you again here, Ben. Your posts were missed very much.

Thank you. As I said elsewhere, I've been busy with graduate studies.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

T. D.

Obrecht's a personal favorite. I have a couple of the recordings (Clerks' Group and Camerata Trajectina) mentioned above, among others.
Got this in a CD+DVD format. CD is excellent, DVD fun.