Photography At Home

Started by steve ridgway, March 22, 2020, 05:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

BTW, fear not guys for you are not going to get a photo gallery of pretty flowers from me.  ;D
I have one more idea for a flower photo but I now have to find my wide angle lens to do it. I am currently working on some abstracts which I will post over the following few days. I see these pictures in my mind's eye but now I have to go and take the images.

steve ridgway

Quote from: aligreto on April 22, 2020, 05:52:13 AM
I am currently working on some abstracts which I will post over the following few days. I see these pictures in my mind's eye but now I have to go and take the images.

That sounds determinedly artistic!

aligreto

Quote from: steve ridgway on April 22, 2020, 09:08:44 AM
That sounds determinedly artistic!

I am not so sure about that  ;D Certain ideas seem wonderfully ingenious during a period of prolonged boredom  ::)
However, below is my first offering....

steve ridgway

Quote from: aligreto on April 23, 2020, 02:22:32 AM
I am not so sure about that  ;D Certain ideas seem wonderfully ingenious during a period of prolonged boredom  ::)
However, below is my first offering....

That has worked well. I haven't actually tried black and white for some 20 years.

aligreto

Quote from: steve ridgway on April 23, 2020, 05:35:18 AM
That has worked well....

Thank you but I was not entirely happy with the composition so I had another go. I find the one below much more effective. That sweeping diagonal has a much more visually dramatic impact.

aligreto

Quote from: steve ridgway on April 23, 2020, 05:35:18 AM
.... I haven't actually tried black and white for some 20 years.

Black and White has a lot to offer. However, I think that in order to be any way reasonably successful with B/W photography one must be able to "see" in B/W in the first instance. I was an avid photographer when I was younger and my preferred medium was always B/W.

This is interesting because I only now have the time [given current circumstances] to process shots that I had taken last year. They were shot in colour [DSLR] for detail but strictly with a final B/W image in mind. I will post just a couple of examples simply for illustration and example if anyone is interested.

Irons

I only planted this Ceanothus a couple of years ago - for my long departed mum who loved blue flowers - it is happy and showing off! I don't own a decent camera so took a pic with my phone.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on April 24, 2020, 07:37:51 AM
I only planted this Ceanothus a couple of years ago - for my long departed mum who loved blue flowers - it is happy and showing off! I don't own a decent camera so took a pic with my phone.

That is a garden that looks well tended.

MusicTurner

+1, it looks nice and fertile.

Pohjolas Daughter

What a lovely shrub!  I haven't seen one of those before!

And, yes, what a pretty patio and garden...complete with bird feeders!   :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on April 24, 2020, 08:35:25 AM
That is a garden that looks well tended.

Since retirement gardening is a major pastime. That and music of course. ;D
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 24, 2020, 09:11:27 AM
What a lovely shrub!  I haven't seen one of those before!

I believe Ceanothus is native to California, P.

aligreto

This one is something of an abstract composition with a purpose; a bit of a teaser if you wish.
Can you see the profusion of triangular shape?
If so, how many?

aligreto

Perhaps this tinted version will help those who may be distracted by the Black and White....

steve ridgway

Quote from: aligreto on April 25, 2020, 02:06:44 AM
This one is something of an abstract composition with a purpose; a bit of a teaser if you wish.
Can you see the profusion of triangular shape?
If so, how many?

Loads of triangles there in units of 3 or 6. Like a lattice of atoms in a crystal although it's more likely a shower head.

aligreto

Quote from: steve ridgway on April 25, 2020, 05:40:01 AM
Loads of triangles there in units of 3 or 6. Like a lattice of atoms in a crystal although it's more likely a shower head.

Correct; the other end of the hose above.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on April 25, 2020, 12:25:50 AM
I believe Ceanothus is native to California, P.
I did see that one of it's names (for certain members) is California Lilac.  :)

Hope to get outside for a bit today as it's sunny out and I'm struggling (like everyone) not to go stir crazy inside!   ::)
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 25, 2020, 07:16:31 AM
I did see that one of it's names (for certain members) is California Lilac.  :)

Hope to get outside for a bit today as it's sunny out and I'm struggling (like everyone) not to go stir crazy inside!   ::)

Stay safe.

steve ridgway

Quote from: aligreto on April 24, 2020, 02:14:18 AM
Black and White has a lot to offer. However, I think that in order to be any way reasonably successful with B/W photography one must be able to "see" in B/W in the first instance. I was an avid photographer when I was younger and my preferred medium was always B/W.

This is interesting because I only now have the time [given current circumstances] to process shots that I had taken last year. They were shot in colour [DSLR] for detail but strictly with a final B/W image in mind. I will post just a couple of examples simply for illustration and example if anyone is interested.

I wasn't thinking of B/W but it just struck me when processing today's photos that it might be worth a try.