Author Topic: Photography At Home  (Read 1485 times)

Online Baron Scarpia

• Formerly Ratliff
Re: Photography At Home
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2020, 01:29:07 PM »
Mostly I like taking photos in the outdoors or public spaces. This recent photo at home struck me as strangely surreal.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2020, 05:04:00 PM »
I even found a photograph of a very young Eugène Ysaÿe which I donated to the Ysaÿe society in Brussels

I've seen that one, in the liner notes of a Ysaye CD. Unfortunately I don't remember which one.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline steve ridgway

• Currently Listening to:
    A Steinway and a xylophone falling in slow motion down endless flights of stairs
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2020, 09:30:02 PM »
The resolution just isn't very good and everything ends up overexposed or not focused correctly. This is from a few months ago:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UqQcoh0SrZS7x0gIoJ7PkEy0AotjVCDM

This is from last summer:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tnbB2t8JJDNyHUT0yD7EvtC3GtZTWymW

(Although I should stress neither of these are strictly from home, though the first one is nearby where I was living at the time)

That pair came out well. You might experiment with how the focus and exposure change with where you point the phone. Move it around a bit and take several shots. With my pocket camera I can see the brightness change on the screen as I move it slightly up towards the sky or down towards the ground. It could focus on for example the centre of the image or might look for contrasting edges and try to get those as sharp as possible. If the images are large enough you can then edit on a computer to keep just the most pleasing rectangle. Auto correct of exposure levels is also generally useful and I often move the mid tone brightness. Some lighting conditions may also produce better results, such as bright sunlight.

Offline steve ridgway

A Steinway and a xylophone falling in slow motion down endless flights of stairs
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2020, 09:40:15 PM »
Mostly I like taking photos in the outdoors or public spaces. This recent photo at home struck me as strangely surreal.

Yes that is rather odd, as if a being from another dimension was peering into your seemingly normal kitchen. I sometimes see such bizarre, incredibly bright and colourful images beaming out from the immense TV screen in the house on the other side of the road.

Offline steve ridgway

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2020, 10:08:34 PM »
I buy old photographs on markets and in second hand shops. Portraits, people with dogs, carnival groups ...here are few examples.

That’s another interesting photographic hobby, do you find a lot of old photos and are they cheap? Here’s one from my copy of The Wide World Magazine, Vol. 1, 1898 showing a tram in Denver, Colorado. The horse had to pull the tram about a mile up a steep hill but got a break on the way back down.

Offline pjme

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2020, 01:46:51 AM »
I buy only cheap photographs : usually less than 1 €, up to 5 € for unusual ones:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 01:49:21 AM by pjme »

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2020, 01:59:46 AM »
I buy old photographs on markets and in second hand shops. Portraits, people with dogs, carnival groups ...here are few examples.

I download vintage photos from the internet, usually Pinterest, but you have to wade through a lot of dreck to find something of interest. For a true collector I am sure nothing beats having the physical object and the satisfaction of finding it.

I have never have any luck posting images in this forum but I will give it a try again using the instructions below.

Offline pjme

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2020, 02:10:20 AM »
Use alt + s, Biffo, after selecting and activating the photo. Make sure that the size is less than 500KB.

This is interesting:
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2020/mar/25/the-black-pioneers-new-york-kamoinge-collective-in-pictures-louis-draper-african-american-photography

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2020, 02:32:41 AM »
Use alt + s, Biffo, after selecting and activating the photo. Make sure that the size is less than 500KB.

This is interesting:
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2020/mar/25/the-black-pioneers-new-york-kamoinge-collective-in-pictures-louis-draper-african-american-photography

Thanks will give it a try

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2020, 02:35:41 AM »
Man with bear

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2020, 02:36:59 AM »
It worked but didn't look like it was going to!

Offline pjme

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2020, 04:22:16 AM »
But it is a good photograph anyway. I also like the unexpected combinations, the way people look at the camera or how they position their body. This dog is definitely part of the family....

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2020, 01:12:02 PM »
I even found a photograph of a very young Eugène Ysaÿe which I donated to the Ysaÿe society in Brussels
What great photographs you've found and purchased!  And that was very nice of you to donate that photo of Ysaÿe too!   :)

Best wishes,

PD

• Veteran member
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2020, 01:21:39 PM »
For a while, I was hunting for and purchasing a few old cabinet cards or carte de visite...looking for ones of opera singers, musicians, and/or composers.  The autographed ones can be expensive (at ephemera shows)!  Fun to look at at least.   :)

Best wishes,

PD

Offline steve ridgway

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2020, 09:33:00 PM »
It worked but didn't look like it was going to!

Excellent, it’s great to have a few people sharing :).

Offline steve ridgway

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2020, 09:36:49 PM »
I’m still wandering round the garden, it was sunny and warm yesterday.

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2020, 02:17:33 AM »
I have a print of this on my wall. The original is by Theodor Kittelsen, the artist of my profile picture; here he is gentler mood with a bear sleeping amongst blueberries.

Offline pjme

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2020, 02:23:52 AM »
Thanks! Never heard of him. Great discovery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodor_Kittelsen

• Veteran member
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2020, 04:23:53 AM »
I’m still wandering round the garden, it was sunny and warm yesterday.
What kind of butterfly or moth is that?  It's quite striking!

• Veteran member
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2020, 04:27:13 AM »
I have a print of this on my wall. The original is by Theodor Kittelsen, the artist of my profile picture; here he is gentler mood with a bear sleeping amongst blueberries.
Ate too many blueberries?  :)  Nice print!