Photography At Home

Started by steve ridgway, March 22, 2020, 05:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 08, 2020, 02:35:24 AM
From the library room.
Too cramped, and messy these days too, not normally. But that's how it is, and bigger lodgings would be very expensive.
Hard to not get carried away between books and music...I know!   :)  Wondering if you might not be better served (after things have gone back to [near?] normal, if you had someone build shelving in there for you and either got rid of the cases or moved them elsewhere?  And--and please don't shoot me--perhaps thinned things out a bit too?  Just a thought!  I'm trying to do some of that around here...not as easy task.

Is that bureau(?) on the left for CDs?

And is that an old computer monitor at the far end?

Best wishes,

PD

p.s. I do love the red on the walls....quite striking!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 08, 2020, 04:35:49 AM
Hard to not get carried away between books and music...I know!   :)  Wondering if you might not be better served (after things have gone back to [near?] normal, if you had someone build shelving in there for you and either got rid of the cases or moved them elsewhere?  And--and please don't shoot me--perhaps thinned things out a bit too?  Just a thought!  I'm trying to do some of that around here...not as easy task.

Is that bureau(?) on the left for CDs?

And is that an old computer monitor at the far end?

Best wishes,

PD

p.s. I do love the red on the walls....quite striking!  :)

Yeah, I know it's cramped. If I build special shelves, it will cost quite a lot, and actually, there are paintings, but scarcely noticeable, on the walls too. I'd have to skip 100s of books & wouldn't save any space. I might get rid of the old piano though, in that respect. The books have been used for some studies and writing modest articles, besides being for entertainment and convenience information-wise. Old school style, but some of this stuff you can't find on the web, and certainly not in public libraries.

An old computer yes, and a portable one too, but actually a third one and the mobile are being used more; the two on the photo have a few good programmes installed however.

There's a row of CDs in the middle of the bureau (some Bach and Beethoven), and one of the drawers has CDRs with some downloaded material, but the rest of the drawers have notebooks, office utensils, and a bit more ... basically, the available space is used as much as possible. The music collection is scattered in several rooms, a bit frustrating, but necessary. I keep some room sections more light and less cramped, by principle.

aligreto

Do not get rid of anything! You will regret it: I have been there. The piano may be excepted if you do not play it or want it.

MusicTurner

Quote from: aligreto on May 08, 2020, 09:12:03 AM
Do not get rid of anything! You will regret it: I have been there. The piano may be excepted if you do not play it or want it.

In a way, it's cozy with the books - and I don't mind, if it's slightly museum- or curio-like.

So you've collected a lot ?

aligreto

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 08, 2020, 09:16:20 AM

So you've collected a lot ?

Books, not as many as you but which I have culled in the past hence the regret, LPs and CDs mostly. I also have a small collection of Belleek pottery [an Irish porcelain manufacturer].
My wife also has a small collection of National Costume dolls from around the world.

MusicTurner

Quote from: aligreto on May 08, 2020, 12:21:37 PM
Books, not as many as you but which I have culled in the past hence the regret, LPs and CDs mostly. I also have a small collection of Belleek pottery [an Irish porcelain manufacturer].
My wife also has a small collection of National Costume dolls from around the world.

Nice. I had to look up Belleek, it looks good, supposedly they seem to stick to mainly white/beige + green colours ... there was even a guy here in DK selling an item on a second-hand website, dba.dk

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 08, 2020, 09:07:03 AM
Yeah, I know it's cramped. If I build special shelves, it will cost quite a lot, and actually, there are paintings, but scarcely noticeable, on the walls too. I'd have to skip 100s of books & wouldn't save any space. I might get rid of the old piano though, in that respect. The books have been used for some studies and writing modest articles, besides being for entertainment and convenience information-wise. Old school style, but some of this stuff you can't find on the web, and certainly not in public libraries.

An old computer yes, and a portable one too, but actually a third one and the mobile are being used more; the two on the photo have a few good programmes installed however.

There's a row of CDs in the middle of the bureau (some Bach and Beethoven), and one of the drawers has CDRs with some downloaded material, but the rest of the drawers have notebooks, office utensils, and a bit more ... basically, the available space is used as much as possible. The music collection is scattered in several rooms, a bit frustrating, but necessary. I keep some room sections more light and less cramped, by principle.
Didn't see a piano (was it in the picture?).  I think that I see a painting about mid-way down on the left and something that looks like it's maybe a museum poster (think that I see "Rembrandt" down the right side?).  Some thoughts/suggestions:  are the old computers something that you really use?  You mentioned programs, perhaps there's an updated or better one that you could get for your laptop?  And/or, think about how often you use them; 2)  Rather nervous about how high (and not, pardon, but totally centered some of your stacks are)...would hate to see them come down on you most of all!  Perhaps, for sets that you can't bear to part with but don't use very often, you could find some means of boxing them up or putting them on some roller crate and store them under a bed to make some more room?  Just some thoughts...I do love books, so I understand.

Would love to hear what you like to write about....if you're willing to share.  I love researching things myself....most of the time just for myself.  :)

Best wishes,

PD

p.s.  Neat clock on the left!  :-)
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 08, 2020, 02:30:20 PM
Didn't see a piano (was it in the picture?).  I think that I see a painting about mid-way down on the left and something that looks like it's maybe a museum poster (think that I see "Rembrandt" down the right side?).  Some thoughts/suggestions:  are the old computers something that you really use?  You mentioned programs, perhaps there's an updated or better one that you could get for your laptop?  And/or, think about how often you use them; 2)  Rather nervous about how high (and not, pardon, but totally centered some of your stacks are)...would hate to see them come down on you most of all!  Perhaps, for sets that you can't bear to part with but don't use very often, you could find some means of boxing them up or putting them on some roller crate and store them under a bed to make some more room?  Just some thoughts...I do love books, so I understand.

Would love to hear what you like to write about....if you're willing to share.  I love researching things myself....most of the time just for myself.  :)

Best wishes,

PD

p.s.  Neat clock on the left!  :-)

Don't worry, there's no health risk involved in those stacks or book cases :) There's an old upright piano on the right, it's OK and by the old piano company 'Søren Jensen', unfortunately I don't really play the piano & the sound is way to much to launch against my neighbours, there's even too much sound when it is 'silenced'. But it's decorative and produces scales etc., cf. extra photo here. On the piano some further CDs of major composer names - Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner, Chopin, Debussy, Elgar, Haydn, Liszt.

As regard paintings, there's a picture on the left wall from Rome by Helge Ernst (1916-1991), a personal friend of the family; at the end wall, two signed prints of Danish landscapes by Olaf Rude (1886-1957); and on the right wall, above the books, a painting from the Faroe Islands by the minor artist Henrik Madsen (1904-1984).

I could skip/deposit one of the old computers, it's working perfectly though, but I'd would only gain some space on the table itself ... 

Through the years, it's been almost 40 articles, mainly in a small Danish magazine about cultural history and handicraft, mostly composed as travelogues from abroad (Europe, Japan), plus some articles that were somewhat more scholarly, about such artists, organizations and subjects in Denmark ... I also did a couple of lectures in relation to an exhibition. It's been very nice, and brought extra dimensions to travelling, discovering new sights and meeting new people ... currently there's just a stuck book project, lacking final funds and put on a pause, but I could possible write more articles soon, when the situation is hopefully more normal again ... I currently lack some energy though.

What do you do research on then?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 09, 2020, 12:51:37 AM
Don't worry, there's no health risk involved in those stacks or book cases :) There's an old upright piano on the right, it's OK and by the old piano company 'Søren Jensen', unfortunately I don't really play the piano & the sound is way to much to launch against my neighbours, there's even too much sound when it is 'silenced'. But it's decorative and produces scales etc., cf. extra photo here. On the piano some further CDs of major composer names - Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, Debussy, Elgar, Haydn, Liszt.

As regard paintings, there's a picture on the left wall from Rome by Helge Ernst (1916-1991), a personal friend of the family; at the end wall, two signed prints of Danish landscapes by Olaf Rude (1886-1957); and on the right wall, above the books, a painting from the Faroe Islands by the minor artist Henrik Madsen (1904-1984).

I could skip/deposit one of the old computers, it's working perfectly though, but I'd would only gain some space on the table itself ... 

Through the years, it's been almost 40 articles, mainly in a small Danish magazine about cultural history and handicraft, mostly composed as travelogues from abroad (Europe, Japan), plus some articles that were somewhat more scholarly, about such artists, organizations and subjects in Denmark ... I also did a couple of lectures in relation to an exhibition. It's been very nice, and brought extra dimensions to travelling, discovering new sights and meeting new people ... currently there's just a stuck book project, lacking final funds and put on a pause, but I could possible write more articles soon, when the situation is hopefully more normal again ... I currently lack some energy though.

What do you do research on then?

I just like to learn.   :)  I'm fascinated with things like prints and at times have delved into learning a bit about Whistler and his circle, various artists in the Northeast, Japanese woodblock prints, etc.  Love food, cooking and gardening so am often digging around trying to learn more about those areas....history...travel...languages....records and record companies....currently am trying to learn more about IDing birds and what their lives are like.  Those are some of the things that I like to research; unlike you, mine is very minor in comparison and just for my own enjoyment.  I try to help out friends on the odd occasion--those who aren't quite as computer savvy (and/or are not the fastest of typists).

Pretty piano by the way!  And thank you for telling me about your prints and national artists!

Speaking of making room, I've been debating about whether or not to get rid of my collection of Opera News (the bulletin/magazine published by the Metropolitan Opera's Opera Guild).  I certainly don't have all of them, but I do have a lot of the early ones.  Used to look at them a lot but not so much now.  Found it quite interesting to see what kind of articles and stories they had, say during the war years, what people were up to then...read about classic singers like Tebaldi and Bergonzi and so on.   :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Biffo

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 09, 2020, 08:10:16 AM
I just like to learn.   :)  I'm fascinated with things like prints and at times have delved into learning a bit about Whistler and his circle, various artists in the Northeast, Japanese woodblock prints, etc.  Love food, cooking and gardening so am often digging around trying to learn more about those areas....history...travel...languages....records and record companies....currently am trying to learn more about IDing birds and what their lives are like.  Those are some of the things that I like to research; unlike you, mine is very minor in comparison and just for my own enjoyment.  I try to help out friends on the odd occasion--those who aren't quite as computer savvy (and/or are not the fastest of typists).

Pretty piano by the way!  And thank you for telling me about your prints and national artists!

Speaking of making room, I've been debating about whether or not to get rid of my collection of Opera News (the bulletin/magazine published by the Metropolitan Opera's Opera Guild).  I certainly don't have all of them, but I do have a lot of the early ones.  Used to look at them a lot but not so much now.  Found it quite interesting to see what kind of articles and stories they had, say during the war years, what people were up to then...read about classic singers like Tebaldi and Bergonzi and so on.   :)

A month after you get rid of them there will be something you want to look up.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Biffo on May 09, 2020, 08:40:56 AM
A month after you get rid of them there will be something you want to look up.
I know!  :laugh:  An idea....wonder whether or not anyone has archived them and put them onto a CD-Rom?  Could then either read straight through an issue or look up by name or opera?  That would be cool!   ;D

I used to also buy books on opera singers (bios or autobiographies), composers, opera houses...not to mention opera ephemera.   ::)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Crossed Wires

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 09, 2020, 08:10:16 AM
I just like to learn.   :)  I'm fascinated with things like prints and at times have delved into learning a bit about Whistler and his circle, various artists in the Northeast, Japanese woodblock prints, etc.  Love food, cooking and gardening so am often digging around trying to learn more about those areas....history...travel...languages....records and record companies....currently am trying to learn more about IDing birds and what their lives are like.  Those are some of the things that I like to research; unlike you, mine is very minor in comparison and just for my own enjoyment. I try to help out friends on the odd occasion--those who aren't quite as computer savvy (and/or are not the fastest of typists).

Agree with the others - somehow you always find that you actually need such items, a few moments after throwing them out :). Having a good deal of a published series makes them even more interesting, I think, since you can 'map' developments etc. Maybe you could post a photo of some of the content here??

Good that you've entered into the birding interest - for me, it's still just an ambition, accompanied by a few books and an occasional look when outdoors, but those who are good at identifying the species & know more about their lives are to be envied ... potentially some good options for photography field work. Same with plants and flowers ...

I have got a few old prints myself too, and some books about the Japanese as well. Sometimes you can stumble across something interesting and even quite old - many years ago, I found some cheap, good ones from the 17-18th centuries, but one has to be lucky then. A lot of later stuff, with a more contemporary atmosphere, can be very good too, though not necessarily well-known.

aligreto

I saw this small vase in my mind's eye as being in soft focus for some reason. However, I have no soft focus filter so I put some kitchen cling film over my lens hood and then took the photo.

MusicTurner

That's an interesting idea, and a good result. Supposedly it could be a Belleek vase, in spite of the lack of (green) painted decoration/shamrock?

aligreto

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 12, 2020, 01:40:56 AM
That's an interesting idea, and a good result. Supposedly it could be a Belleek vase, in spite of the lack of (green) painted decoration/shamrock?

No, it is not Belleek. Actually I had not, for some obscure reason, thought to photograph any Belleek..............I can look back in time when everyone complains about "what is this stuff" and safely say that it was all your fault  :laugh:

aligreto

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 12, 2020, 01:40:56 AM

That shamrock decoration was more or less specifically for the American market.

MusicTurner

Quote from: aligreto on May 12, 2020, 01:49:11 AM
That shamrock decoration was more or less specifically for the American market.

OK, one learns something every day ;) In that respect, we've got some local cookie products too for example, targeted audiences abroad ...

But the sharp edginess of parts of the vase is perhaps-perhaps a bit away from the Belleek style.

aligreto

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 12, 2020, 01:52:07 AM
OK, one learns something every day ;) In that respect, we've got some local cookie products too for example, targeted audiences abroad ...

Yes, I think that every country has its own products and ideas for the tourist trade.