Author Topic: Photography At Home  (Read 5082 times)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
Re: Photography At Home
« Reply #260 on: May 14, 2020, 01:29:03 AM »

I rarely do this but I just thought that the original of the image below would serve as a good comparison as the relative merits of each image came up for discussion in our house.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #261 on: May 14, 2020, 01:30:36 AM »
Sentry duty?

It is actually a parasol so it really was trying to escape into the sunshine outside  ;D
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #262 on: May 14, 2020, 01:31:27 AM »
I've sung the praises of Stephan Vanfleteren before.
Vimeo has a few short films (with subtitles) that illustrate a recent show in Antwerp;
https://vimeo.com/406138107

Wonderful photography. I watched all of them. Thank you for posting.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #263 on: May 14, 2020, 01:32:07 AM »

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    A Steinway and a xylophone falling in slow motion down endless flights of stairs
« Reply #264 on: May 14, 2020, 02:15:49 AM »
I rarely do this but I just thought that the original of the image below would serve as a good comparison as the relative merits of each image came up for discussion in our house.

I think black and white looks better, the colours clash somewhat.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #265 on: May 14, 2020, 02:40:46 AM »

I prefer the monochrome myself. I think that it lends a sense of atmosphere to the image. That is the way that I perceived it anyway.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #266 on: May 14, 2020, 06:09:29 AM »
I prefer the monochrome myself. I think that it lends a sense of atmosphere to the image. That is the way that I perceived it anyway.

Agree with both of you. The actual colors of the parasol give it a very different feel, and draw the eye rather strongly to the parasol instead of letting it be just one element of the whole. And in the b+w, the reflection becomes a ghost.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #267 on: May 14, 2020, 11:45:16 AM »

Obviously, you were aiming to show the geometric lines of this "still life". The B / W highlights the lines, whereas the colors that don't even match each other require too much attention IMO, so B / W gets three stars from me.
It's better to act today than to regret tomorrow.
(Mette Frederiksen)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #268 on: May 21, 2020, 04:27:57 AM »
I know that this one was one of my "lost" images recently. There is one other one which I also remember now and will dig it out and post later.

If anyone has "lost" an image please try to post it again to keep this fine thread going   :)

Offline Baron Scarpia

• Formerly Ratliff
« Reply #269 on: May 21, 2020, 04:37:20 AM »
Grrr! I'll be up all night typing in all of my pithy comments again.  ;D

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #270 on: May 21, 2020, 06:06:52 AM »
This is the other one that I had posted prior to the crash [I think that is all of them now]....

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #271 on: May 21, 2020, 06:08:34 AM »
Grrr! I'll be up all night typing in all of my pithy comments again.  ;D

Never pithy at all so please do and do also post a photo or two  :)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #272 on: May 21, 2020, 06:10:28 AM »
This one is a new one taken in my back garden [so still at home]....

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #273 on: May 22, 2020, 01:11:40 AM »

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #274 on: May 22, 2020, 01:39:59 AM »
This is the other one that I had posted prior to the crash [I think that is all of them now]....
Very nice Fergus.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #275 on: May 22, 2020, 02:39:44 AM »
Very nice Fergus.

That is the bird bath in my back garden. It actually gets quite a lot of use from my avian friends. I must set my tripod up somehow to get some bathing birds from my window but logistically that is not very practical. I will investigate further.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #276 on: May 22, 2020, 08:52:21 AM »
That is the bird bath in my back garden. It actually gets quite a lot of use from my avian friends. I must set my tripod up somehow to get some bathing birds from my window but logistically that is not very practical. I will investigate further.
Excellent Fergus. Our bird bath gets visits as well from avian friends. Our cat prefers to drink from it rather than from his water bowl.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #277 on: May 22, 2020, 11:55:08 AM »
Excellent Fergus. Our bird bath gets visits as well from avian friends. Our cat prefers to drink from it rather than from his water bowl.

A feline drinking avian infused water - it makes purrfect sense to me Jeffrey  ;D

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #278 on: Today at 01:44:48 AM »
Nice. I had to look up Belleek, it looks good, supposedly they seem to stick to mainly white/beige + green colours ... there was even a guy here in DK selling an item on a second-hand website, dba.dk

My Owl is my favourite piece in my small Belleek collection. These are my illustrative shots of it that I took over the weekend....

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #279 on: Today at 01:46:36 AM »
This is an interpretative shot of my Owl. It is not how I necessarily see him. He is really my friend. Everything is not always as you see it or as it is presented to you....