Photography At Home

Started by steve ridgway, March 22, 2020, 05:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

Edward Steichen meets Balzac meet Rodin (Musée Rodin, Paris). One of my favorites from one of the greatest portrait photographers ever.

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

XB-70 Valkyrie

Melpomone--Landon Rives, one of the most hauntingly beautiful and mysterious photographs ever created, also by Edward Steichen.

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

steve ridgway

Great use of light and shade there, and both quite different. It must be incredibly difficult to get the lighting, exposure and developing just right with chemical photography, even visualising what the scene is going to look like in monochrome.

Pohjolas Daughter

I'm a big fan of Cecil Beaton:

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: pjme on March 28, 2020, 04:29:42 AM
The Antwerp Photography Museum has a great exhibition on Stephan Vanfleteren.

https://fomu.be/kalender/present-at-home

https://www.stephanvanfleteren.com/surftribe
Thank you for those links.  I particularly enjoyed the talk by the museum guide.
Pohjolas Daughter

prémont

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 27, 2020, 08:51:49 AM
Taken out the window last night.

These pictures never will go viral, because they do not display the corona.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

steve ridgway

Quote from: (: premont :) on March 28, 2020, 06:38:27 AM
These pictures never will go viral, because they do not display the corona.

:laugh:

Mahlerian

"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

aligreto

An excellent subject for a thread. I must dig out my camera and participate.

steve ridgway

Mahlerian

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 28, 2020, 09:06:47 PM
That's a nice peaceful scene. Do you have the Moon and/or Venus in there?

Thank you. Yes, that's the moon coming through between the power lines.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

steve ridgway

I got the Moon and Venus last night. I don't think Venus came out too badly considering it's 60 million miles away :-\.

steve ridgway

Trying to be a bit more artistic with the sunset last night.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 30, 2020, 04:32:21 AM
Trying to be a bit more artistic with the sunset last night.

Nice indeed.

Ratliff

All so precious. No one seems to appreciate the value of chaos.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 30, 2020, 04:11:05 PM

Very nice and neat, a place safe from the madness of the outside world where you can sit in the sun, breathe the air and watch the changing scenery of the sky :).

MusicTurner

Contrasts during social distancing -
on one side of the apartment, which is the view from the kitchen, they are building a new, 5-story block, planned with certain trendy architectural features. A lake suddenly turned up during the digging, but it's drying out now. Fortunately, the work doesn't make any real noise so far. They're a team of Italian workers, probably under local supervision.

on the other side, the view from one of the living rooms, luckily there's a nice, springtime villa garden, belonging to a Yugoslav immigrant who's been living here for decades. They've become an elderly couple now, but they are very much into gardening, and growing a fair amount of flowers, vegetables and fruit trees. Note how he's coated the trees with chalk paint, like they often do in Southern and Eastern Europe.
He also keeps doves in the black cabin to the left. The flock is allowed flights every day, circling around our block etc. and causing some irritation among certain neighbours here, but personally I find this feature quite pleasant.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 30, 2020, 04:11:05 PM
Somebody is having a good time and has not a care in the world.   :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 31, 2020, 03:34:47 AM
Contrasts during social distancing -
on one side of the apartment, which is the view from the kitchen, they are building a new, 5-story block, planned with certain trendy architectural features. A lake suddenly turned up during the digging, but it's drying out now. Fortunately, the work doesn't make any real noise so far. They're a team of Italian workers, probably under local supervision.

on the other side, the view from one of the living rooms, luckily there's a nice, springtime villa garden, belonging to a Yugoslav immigrant who's been living here for decades. They've become an elderly couple now, but they are very much into gardening, and growing a fair amount of flowers, vegetables and fruit trees. Note how he's coated the trees with chalk paint, like they often do in Southern and Eastern Europe.
He also keeps doves in the black cabin to the left. The flock is allowed flights every day, circling around our block etc. and causing some irritation among certain neighbours here, but personally I find this feature quite pleasant.
Quite a difference in the views!  Hope that the new building is to your liking and that they do a nice job landscaping there too.

I hadn't heard of chalk paint before now; is it used to help protect the trees from certain pests or....?  Do they ever share any of their produce with you?  By the way, I quite like your current avatar (I love to garden too).  Who did the painting?   :)
Pohjolas Daughter