Photography At Home

Started by steve ridgway, March 22, 2020, 05:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 31, 2020, 12:13:27 PM
Quite a difference in the views!  Hope that the new building is to your liking and that they do a nice job landscaping there too.

I hadn't heard of chalk paint before now; is it used to help protect the trees from certain pests or....?  Do they ever share any of their produce with you?  By the way, I quite like your current avatar (I love to garden too).  Who did the painting?   :)

The future building will be quite dominating, it seems, but some of my neighbours will be hit harder, since for me it will only block the kitchen view somewhat and make our small, common garden area darker in the afternoon. Some of them have more important rooms facing this new, tall structure, not so good. Generally, our area is becoming somewhat gentrified and more organized, corresponding with the city of Copenhagen expanding generally; we'll have more facilities here and less 'wasted' space, but I'm quite OK with that, as long as the rent doesn't go up too much ...
we aren't responsible for our own gardening maintenance or lay-out, it is rather spartan, so I envy you, if you have your own garden ...

There are various reasons for this chalk-coating of trees; it is mainly because 1) it will deflect the sun's warming in winter and then prevent too much contrast in temperatures; 2) it will stabilize the temperature of the tree itself, as an isolating layer; and 3) the chalk tends to clean parts of the tree in relation to damaging insects, funghi, bacteria etc. In Greece for example, it is done to keep say ants away, I am told; and then the chalk can be mixed with certain anti-insect ingredients. The Yugoslav couple has a large family & they tend to keep the products for themselves, but I do have a chat with the old man now and then ...

Thanks, the avatar is a painting of the Norwegian composer Fartein Valen, looking after his garden; the painting is by Axel Revold
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axel_Revold), it's called "The Rose Cultivator" and it's from 1918.

I happened to visit the place, Valen's house in Valevåg, some years ago (6?); it is now a museum, and like it was when Valen lived there. He was very interested in gardening and created certain variants of roses too. Nearby is a deserted churchyard by the sea, that formed one of the inspirations for Valen's orchestral poem, "Le Cimetiere Marin". It's in a rather gentle sort of Norwegian fjord landscape, not the most dramatic example, and it's definitely off the beaten path, though communication has been improved lately, due to a lot of tunnel and bridge constructions. Personally I toured the region on a bike with a tent, going from Stavanger to Bergen ... a nice trip, with unusually fine weather.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 30, 2020, 04:11:05 PM
All so precious. No one seems to appreciate the value of chaos.

I do...or rather, I live in chaos  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 31, 2020, 12:47:43 PM
The future building will be quite dominating, it seems, but some of my neighbours will be hit harder, since for me it will only block the kitchen view somewhat and make our small, common garden area darker in the afternoon. Some of them have more important rooms facing this new, tall structure, not so good. Generally, our area is becoming somewhat gentrified and more organized, corresponding with the city of Copenhagen expanding generally; we'll have more facilities here and less 'wasted' space, but I'm quite OK with that, as long as the rent doesn't go up too much ...
we aren't responsible for our own gardening maintenance or lay-out, it is rather spartan, so I envy you, if you have your own garden ...

There are various reasons for this chalk-coating of trees; it is mainly because 1) it will deflect the sun's warming in winter and then prevent too much contrast in temperatures; 2) it will stabilize the temperature of the tree itself, as an isolating layer; and 3) the chalk tends to clean parts of the tree in relation to damaging insects, funghi, bacteria etc. In Greece for example, it is done to keep say ants away, I am told; and then the chalk can be mixed with certain anti-insect ingredients. The Yugoslav couple has a large family & they tend to keep the products for themselves, but I do have a chat with the old man now and then ...

Thanks, the avatar is a painting of the Norwegian composer Fartein Valen, looking after his garden; the painting is by Axel Revold
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axel_Revold), it's called "The Rose Cultivator" and it's from 1918.

I happened to visit the place, Valen's house in Valevåg, some years ago (6?); it is now a museum, and like it was when Valen lived there. He was very interested in gardening and created certain variants of roses too. Nearby is a deserted churchyard by the sea, that formed one of the inspirations for Valen's orchestral poem, "Le Cimetiere Marin". It's in a rather gentle sort of Norwegian fjord landscape, not the most dramatic example, and it's definitely off the beaten path, though communication has been improved lately, due to a lot of tunnel and bridge constructions. Personally I toured the region on a bike with a tent, going from Stavanger to Bergen ... a nice trip, with unusually fine weather.
Sorry to hear that it will make things darker and that it will adversely effect some of your fellow tenants.  Will the building be as tall or taller than your own?

Would the landlord let you plant anything to make it nicer?  Or too afraid of it turning into a mess?  I do like to garden, but that said, it can be a lot of work...keeping up with weeding, watering, deadheading, dealing with insects and diseases.  It is a good feeling though to see things blooming, smell the roses, cut some fresh herbs to use and sometimes harvest some vegetables too.  And to see neighbors' and strangers' reactions and enjoyment of my 'mangled' efforts....that and feeling happy when butterflies, birds and bees are busy and doing their business.   :)

Thank you for telling me about the chalk paint...quite interesting!

I hadn't heard of Valen before now but will see if I might be able to check out some of his music...once the libraries are open again!

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

steve ridgway

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 31, 2020, 12:59:41 PM

Sarge

Ah yes, one wrong move and CDs will fly everywhere >:(.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 31, 2020, 02:17:38 PM
Sorry to hear that it will make things darker and that it will adversely effect some of your fellow tenants.  Will the building be as tall or taller than your own?

Would the landlord let you plant anything to make it nicer?  Or too afraid of it turning into a mess?  I do like to garden, but that said, it can be a lot of work...keeping up with weeding, watering, deadheading, dealing with insects and diseases.  It is a good feeling though to see things blooming, smell the roses, cut some fresh herbs to use and sometimes harvest some vegetables too.  And to see neighbors' and strangers' reactions and enjoyment of my 'mangled' efforts....that and feeling happy when butterflies, birds and bees are busy and doing their business.   :)

Thank you for telling me about the chalk paint...quite interesting!

I hadn't heard of Valen before now but will see if I might be able to check out some of his music...once the libraries are open again!

Best wishes,

PD

Thanks. Our garden is OK, but a bit plain and small, and it can be quite populated by residents in summer, due to sun-bathers or people eating there - but that's how it is.
In the earlier months of the year, it's quite deserted, and one can sit below a lovely, crooked apple tree there ...

Valen is a rather edgy, solitary and mysterious composer, starting with late Romanticism, but then quickly becoming influenced by Schönberg and Berg; Berg in particular perhaps comes to mind. I have found the four symphonies difficult to get into so far, for example. But some of his most approachable stuff would be

- Sonetto di Michelangelo, for orchestra. Not on you-tube, but certainly has a bit of 'hit' quality, IMHO.

- Violin Concerto, rather Bergian, like a good deal of other works. Probably his most well-known piece https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJCZfP79UHE

- Piano Concerto - a strangely subdued work, 3 movements lasting 10 minutes totally. The finale has some almost 'jazzy', 'Petrucciani-like' moments, IMHO  :)
Finale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjf92VQCNdk&list=OLAK5uy_kJ8h84VYqRTFNI1xxl0tNjX9akQIHfkRA&index=6

- the piano works generally; Glenn Gould played a sonata too.
Here's Andsnes in a rather lyrical and beautiful rendition of the Theme & Variations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4kOl3cCxMY ;
Here's an early Legende https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSFgSdxaQjM

(etc.)

Pohjolas Daughter

Sarge
Wait, how did you get a picture of my house?!   ??? ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

mc ukrneal

Sarge
Your chaos is rather neatly stacked! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Pohjolas Daughter

Thank you for the listening suggestions MusicTurner and PJME!

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 01, 2020, 03:56:17 AM
Wait, how did you get a picture of my house?!   ??? ;)

PD
That's funny and gave me a good chuckle to begin the day!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: mc ukrneal on April 01, 2020, 04:02:42 AM
That's funny and gave me a good chuckle to begin the day!
Yeah!  ;D

Best wishes,

PD

p.s.  Reminds me that I need to get back to thinning things out!   ::)
Pohjolas Daughter

Ratliff

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 31, 2020, 12:07:27 PM
Somebody is having a good time and has not a care in the world.   :)

Evidently you have not noticed my prior posts to the effect that I am in the middle of a relocation, the moving van leaves in two days, and I am set to drive 1,700 miles across a plague infested landscape, packed into a car with my pregnant wife and developmentally disabled son.

MusicTurner

Quote from: pjme on March 31, 2020, 11:07:13 PM
From the Norwegian national library:

https://youtu.be/O2Te8aA7pN0

Glenn Gould plays Valen

https://youtu.be/ITD_d_SgkdA

Valens "Ave Maria" - 7 minutes of great poetical intensity. Lovely! I have an older version by Dorothy Dorow.

https://youtu.be/hT3VHKqQKZA

The photographs and the film are well worth seeing. I love mr. Valens sweater....and violinist Camilla Wicks looks like a young Lana Turner or Rita Hayworth!

Camilla Wicks and Bruno Walter in 1953.

Fartein Valen (left) in Paris 1927.

https://farteinvalen.no/english-2/

That's a very nice selection of material, including the documentary and background-explaining clips, thanks!

MusicTurner

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on April 01, 2020, 04:55:46 AM
Evidently you have not noticed my prior posts to the effect that I am in the middle of a relocation, the moving van leaves in two days, and I am set to drive 1,700 miles across a plague infested landscape, packed into a car with my pregnant wife and developmentally disabled son.

Best wishes to you from here.
(I remember your postings from another forum as well)

Ratliff

Quote from: MusicTurner on April 01, 2020, 05:02:00 AM
Best wishes to you from here.
(I remember your postings from another forum as well)

Thank you, appreciated.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on April 01, 2020, 04:55:46 AM
I had meant that your son seemed to not have a care in the world as he was looking like he was having fun on the trampoline.

Sorry, I didn't know that he was developmentally disabled.  I'm very sorry to hear that for everyone's sake. 

Yes, I do remember you saying that you were worried about the move and wondering whether or not that would still be *happening and wishing you well.  I understand that this must be a very stressful time for you and your family.  Please keep us posted as to how things are going/went.

*A good friend of mine who is a realtor is very concerned about two interrelated closings; they were supposed to closed today.  Now it's been pushed back to the seventh.  The movers (who as you probably know) are considered as being 'essential' by the government didn't want to do the job due to the virus!  Hopefully, things will go better for you and yours.

Warm wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Ratliff

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 01, 2020, 06:16:59 AM
I had meant that your son seemed to not have a care in the world as he was looking like he was having fun on the trampoline.

Sorry, I didn't know that he was developmentally disabled.  I'm very sorry to hear that for everyone's sake. 

Yes, I do remember you saying that you were worried about the move and wondering whether or not that would still be *happening and wishing you well.  I understand that this must be a very stressful time for you and your family.  Please keep us posted as to how things are going/went.

*A good friend of mine who is a realtor is very concerned about two interrelated closings; they were supposed to closed today.  Now it's been pushed back to the seventh.  The movers (who as you probably know) are considered as being 'essential' by the government didn't want to do the job due to the virus!  Hopefully, things will go better for you and yours.

Warm wishes,

PD

No offense taken. Our home sale close last Friday, by some miracle.  The movers (a large national company) assure me they are coming to pack tomorrow and load Friday.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on April 01, 2020, 06:59:26 AM
No offense taken. Our home sale close last Friday, by some miracle.  The movers (a large national company) assure me they are coming to pack tomorrow and load Friday.
Fingers crossed for you....
Pohjolas Daughter

steve ridgway

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on April 01, 2020, 06:59:26 AM

I hope it goes well and you all arrive safely in your new home.

steve ridgway

A photo today of a butterbur flower stem followed by an image done on a computer scanner.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: steve ridgway on April 02, 2020, 09:01:22 AM
A photo today of a butterbur flower stem followed by an image done on a computer scanner.
Very pretty!  I hadn't heard of a butterbur flower before now.  What kind of conditions do they like to grow in?
Pohjolas Daughter