Photography At Home

Started by steve ridgway, March 22, 2020, 05:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

Quote from: pjme on March 24, 2020, 12:57:56 PM
I buy old photographs on markets and in second hand shops. Portraits, people with dogs, carnival groups ...here are few examples.

I download vintage photos from the internet, usually Pinterest, but you have to wade through a lot of dreck to find something of interest. For a true collector I am sure nothing beats having the physical object and the satisfaction of finding it.

I have never have any luck posting images in this forum but I will give it a try again using the instructions below.

Biffo

Biffo

Biffo

It worked but didn't look like it was going to!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: pjme on March 24, 2020, 01:18:51 PM
I even found a photograph of a very young Eugène Ysaÿe which I donated to the Ysaÿe society in Brussels
What great photographs you've found and purchased!  And that was very nice of you to donate that photo of Ysaÿe too!   :)

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

For a while, I was hunting for and purchasing a few old cabinet cards or carte de visite...looking for ones of opera singers, musicians, and/or composers.  The autographed ones can be expensive (at ephemera shows)!  Fun to look at at least.   :)

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

steve ridgway

Quote from: Biffo on March 25, 2020, 02:36:59 AM
It worked but didn't look like it was going to!

Excellent, it's great to have a few people sharing :).

steve ridgway

I'm still wandering round the garden, it was sunny and warm yesterday.

Biffo

I have a print of this on my wall. The original is by Theodor Kittelsen, the artist of my profile picture; here he is gentler mood with a bear sleeping amongst blueberries.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 25, 2020, 09:36:49 PM
I'm still wandering round the garden, it was sunny and warm yesterday.
What kind of butterfly or moth is that?  It's quite striking!
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Biffo on March 26, 2020, 02:17:33 AM
I have a print of this on my wall. The original is by Theodor Kittelsen, the artist of my profile picture; here he is gentler mood with a bear sleeping amongst blueberries.
Ate too many blueberries?  :)  Nice print!
Pohjolas Daughter

Biffo

I discovered Kittelsen through the music of Geirr Tveitt - I was intrigued by the cover of this album

steve ridgway

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 26, 2020, 04:23:53 AM
What kind of butterfly or moth is that?  It's quite striking!

I've seen three different types of butterfly this week and this one's a peacock butterfly. Looks like I might have to go off full auto and try reducing the lens aperture to get insects all in focus though.

steve ridgway

Here's one I found on the web - Pavlova's Dog :P.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: pjme on March 26, 2020, 05:44:13 AM
Sometimes I'll buy also the odd postcard....

Get postcard!  Very creative!   ;D
EDIT:  I had meant to type "Great" not "Get".  lol
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Quote from: pjme on March 26, 2020, 10:17:44 AM
Great, Pavlova's dog. I have a few opera singers divas. And an unknown divo, in "L'Africaine".

Here is Maria SERVERIUS, Belgian Falcon and dramatic soprano (1902-1976). Salome, 1927.
Her daughter was Raymonde SERVERIUS, also a soprano and a noted concert soloist.

For those who read Dutch/Flemish: miss Serverius apparently had a 'volcanic temperament...and she danced the Dance of the 7 veils herself"!
Interesting: the program consisted of Stravinsky's Firebird and Strauss Salome.
http://dighum.uantwerpen.be/cti/html/1939-07-00_monet_1927-28.html

Does the Paris Opera have any sort of online archive like the Met does? I couldn't find one, but if it does, it should be easy to figure out who the singer was. The costume seems very similar to that worn by the singer Faure when he created the role of Nelusko back in 1865.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: pjme on March 26, 2020, 10:17:44 AM
Great, Pavlova's dog. I have a few opera singers divas. And an unknown divo, in "L'Africaine".

Here is Maria SERVERIUS, Belgian Falcon and dramatic soprano (1902-1976). Salome, 1927.
Her daughter was Raymonde SERVERIUS, also a soprano and a noted concert soloist.

For those who read Dutch/Flemish: miss Serverius apparently had a 'volcanic temperament...and she danced the Dance of the 7 veils herself"!
Interesting: the program consisted of Stravinsky's Firebird and Strauss Salome.
http://dighum.uantwerpen.be/cti/html/1939-07-00_monet_1927-28.html
I've had cabinet cards of Clara Louise Kellogg, Emma Calvé, and Louise Homer (in various operatic costumes) framed (along with an autograph for each; the kind of setting in which the autograph is not on the item itself but on a separate piece of paper) which are fun to look at.  I have a kind of opera 'wall' around a bookcase containing a bunch of books on music, composers, bios and autobios of artists like Callas, Sutherland and so on.  Also a signed Met program from the I want to say 1930's along with some posters and a few more current black and white photos of some more singers.  I know, silly, but I had fun putting it together and enjoy it.   :D

By the way, collecting even not-so-expensive ephemera can get pricey (if you want it framed):  if you want to put it in a reasonably nice frame with museum-quality glass (High UV protection and also non-reflective), it adds up!  :(  For that reason, I have some other cabinet cards or cartes de visite that I keep in a couple of envelopes which I look at from time to time.

I also keep an eye out for old postcards of opera houses.   :)

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: pjme on March 26, 2020, 01:51:10 PM
Of course!
Good to read that you have some photographs framed.
Over many years and in several countries (USA, Great Britain, France, Germany, Spain, the Netherlands, Hungary...) i spent many happy moments browsing and selecting. I should (and could now...) make, at least, an inventory. I scanned several, but many more await more attention.
Hi pjme,

Do you ever frame your cabinet cards/postcards, etc.?  Or display them somehow?  Or how do you keep them?

And, wow, sounds like you've moved a lot (or travels?) and have a lot of interesting stories?   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

steve ridgway

Taken out the window last night.