Photography At Home

Started by steve ridgway, March 22, 2020, 05:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 21, 2020, 09:33:18 AM
I had some friends who, years ago, fashioned a kind of a cork board out of corks from their favorite wine bottles.  Somehow or another they wired it together and use it to hold various keys and key chains.   ;D

PD

A good idea. I wonder would I end up photographing what was hanging from the board.....

aligreto

Belleek SeaHorse Table Flower Holder

There are only three "animals" in my Belleek collection. This is the second of them.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on July 30, 2020, 04:53:04 AM
Go to my postage-stamp sized backyard, look up, zoom, and get this photo. I think this is what is called a "lollipop pine."
I couldn't fine a tree called that, but I did find this.  Is it the same?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_taeda

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

steve ridgway

Quote from: Spotted Horses on July 30, 2020, 06:36:40 AM
Quite possibly I've been misreading those little signs they put in parks, saying this tree is such-and-such...  ::)

Nice. It looks like some sort of pine to me, complete with cones :).

aligreto

Quote from: Spotted Horses on July 30, 2020, 04:53:04 AM
Go to my postage-stamp sized backyard, look up, zoom, and get this photo. I think this is what is called a "lollipop pine."

Nice. I like that tree.

Pohjolas Daughter

I'll be that the birds love it...so tall!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

The downside to attachments here is that they are size limited, which means resolution is limited.  The tarnish on this coin is far more detailed and vivid in the original as one can zoom in much more.  How bored must one be to take macro shots of coins and then re-catalog and re-size them later?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

aligreto

Quote from: Todd on August 09, 2020, 07:13:27 AM
The downside to attachments here is that they are size limited, which means resolution is limited.  The tarnish on this coin is far more detailed and vivid in the original as one can zoom in much more.  How bored must one be to take macro shots of coins and then re-catalog and re-size them later?

That is a good clean and well lit shot though which is what you want for such things.

Todd

Quote from: aligreto on August 09, 2020, 07:47:31 AM
That is a good clean and well lit shot though which is what you want for such things.

All credit goes to the sun.

aligreto

Quote from: Todd on August 09, 2020, 07:52:05 AM

All credit goes to the sun.

You are either being very modest or you were very lucky with the arrangement of that lighting.

Todd

Quote from: aligreto on August 09, 2020, 09:18:46 AM
You are either being very modest or you were very lucky with the arrangement of that lighting.

For these types of shots, I rely on a south facing sliding glass door.  I have 2-3 hours a day of even, perfectly diffused light at my disposal in much of the spring and pretty much all summer.  I just plop an object on some type of stand (here a wooden box), frame, and shoot.  I shot about nine different coins this way at the same time.  The only thing I had to do was adjust the height of the tripod head.  Exposure is set off the coin face in each case, so the wood lightens or darkens with the metal used.  Things can get more intriguing with more reflective surfaces like glass.

aligreto

So, a little bit more to it than the sun. Good for you.

Todd

Went all the way to my back patio to snap this one.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on August 27, 2020, 04:58:58 AM
Good job Todd!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 24, 2020, 09:16:32 AM
A Canon EOS 800D aka Rebel T7i, plus a zoom lens with image stabilisation. The technology is great for those like me who use it hand held on full automatic. I've started using manual with the Moon at night though, all the black in the frame makes it massively overexposed. The daylight photo was handheld on full auto from the garden and the nighttime one out the window with manual control, monitoring and shutter release from my iPad.
What great photos. I do look at the Moon sometimes through my (children's) telescope.
You can see the craters quite clearly.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Another fine photo.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Quote from: Spotted Horses on August 24, 2020, 07:43:19 AM
Another presumed loblolly pine in the back yard.

A nice shot. It gives a good idea of the scale of the tree.

aligreto

If I may ask, what camera/lens did you use to take that shot?
When the image is enlarged the detail of the craters is well defined.

aligreto

Quote from: Spotted Horses on August 28, 2020, 06:35:57 AM

I have a strong attachment to trees. If you really look at them, they are incredibly complex and beautiful. Different regions the country (and the world) have trees which are the same, and yet different. And there is a lot of history tied up in a tree, especially one that is in the wild and has endured harsh conditions in the course of its existence.

I empathise with your sentiments. Last year I visited an annexe of our National Botanic Gardens that specializes in growing and maintaining trees from all over the world. It was a fascinating day out.

Todd

Quote from: aligreto on August 28, 2020, 01:36:34 AM
If I may ask, what camera/lens did you use to take that shot?
When the image is enlarged the detail of the craters is well defined.

Pentax K3, 150-450.  I just got the lens last week.  Telephotography at that length (ie, 675 equivalent with DX cropping) is new for me, so it will take a while to get used to it.  Took this one last night.  Changed focus point.  Did some different things in Photoshop after the fact.