More deaths: organist Jennifer Bate and composer Gerard Schurmann

Started by pjme, March 26, 2020, 04:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Terrible news about Bate, she was an excellent organist. Probably one of the best interpreters of Messiaen's work. Rest in peace, and also to Gerard Schurmann, of whom I've never heard.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 26, 2020, 04:34:18 AM
Terrible news about Bate, she was an excellent organist. Probably one of the best interpreters of Messiaen's work. Rest in peace, and also to Gerard Schurmann, of whom I've never heard.

If you enjoy film you probably have.  He wrote a lot of music for great British films (as well as much "serious" music") and a disc of his featured in the Chandos Film Composer series;

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on March 26, 2020, 04:50:38 AM
If you enjoy film you probably have.  He wrote a lot of music for great British films (as well as much "serious" music") and a disc of his featured in the Chandos Film Composer series;

I remember a TV drama, decades ago, about the life of the troubled pianist John Ogdon depicted Schurmann quite unsympathetically. That Chandos film music series is excellent.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).