Lesser known Russian/Soviet composers

Started by vandermolen, July 13, 2008, 02:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: Florestan on February 24, 2024, 04:18:31 AMExactly, but once again, if one can't read Russian one can't know that. I strongly suspect this is the case here.

Yes, and I do not believe "pretending" not to know Cyrillic script and Russian is necessarily involved.  The person is most probably much more concerned about the music s/he hears, and ignores everything else as irrelevant.

It might be time to revisit Cassandra by Vladimir Tarnopolski!

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

T. D.

Quote from: Florestan on February 24, 2024, 04:18:31 AMExactly, but once again, if one can't read Russian one can't know that. I strongly suspect this is the case here.

It is clear from his many past posts, and the very nature of the links that he constantly provides, that he can read Russian to a significant degree. Definitely more than I can. I am merely familiar with Cyrillic alphabet but can easily make out the address / nature of the Sevastopol concert.

OTOH, the ignore list is always an option.

AnotherSpin

I think that the author of the latest posts not only understands the alphabet, but also the Russian language. I also think that many of the posts are inspired by Kremlin chauvinistic propaganda. For example, the recent mention of Kabardino-Balkaria. A small Islamic country in the Caucasus, whose population was deported almost entirely by Stalin and brought to the brink of extinction by Putin. Attributing Kabardino-Balkaria music to Russian/Soviet is insulting to say the least. The same with Tuva. Buddhist State of Turkich origin, annexed by USSR during WWII.

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

March 17, 2024, in the «Rachmaninov» Hall of the Moscow Conservatory, the Moscow solo ensemble «Studio of New music

Francesco B.Pratella: Sonata for viola and piano (1921)
•Antonio Russolo: «The bells of San Marco» for organ (1914)
•Arthur Lurie: «Sintesi» («Синтезы», 1914, arranged for ensemble by F.Karaev)
•Joseph Holbrook: 4 futuristic dances for piano (1914)
•Mikhail Matyushin: Composition in quarter tones for violin and piano (1923)
•Aleksandr Mossolov: «Factory. Music of the Machines» («Завод. Музыка машин», 1928, arranged for the ensemble by E. Denisov).
•Vladimir Deshevov: «Rails» («Рельсы», 1926, arranged for ensemble by V.Soifer)
•Aleksandr Khubejev: Intonarumori for ensemble (2011)

Roy Bland

Ippolitov Ivanov "Asia" opera  composed in 1900