George Lloyd

Started by Thom, April 14, 2007, 12:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: brianrein on April 15, 2007, 04:55:07 PM
Naxos just released Vol. 1 of the Stanford symphonies, and I am warming up to it. Harmlessly pleasant, I suppose, even catchy in places.

David Hurwitz is a big Lloyd fan apparently...reviews.

Remember that in the mid-price also the Chandos recordings is available.
And I would like some feedback on the Naxos recording if possible. :)

tjguitar

Quote from: Harry on April 15, 2007, 10:49:11 PM
Remember that in the mid-price also the Chandos recordings is available.

Are you talking about the Stanford Symphonies conducted by Handley w/ the Ulster? I like them, which is no surprise as I generally enjoy Handley, but is it really mid price? Isn't list price around $50 ? BTW, they haven't remastered them, it's a 1994 release I think.

They did however remaster and re-issue The 6 Irish Rhapsodies and Piano Concerto from the same recordings on a double disc set for $13.98...which is very good!  I'm hoping they do the same for the Clarinet Concerto and Concert Piece for Organ & Orchestra.

Harry

Quote from: tjguitar on May 07, 2007, 01:31:57 PM
Are you talking about the Stanford Symphonies conducted by Handley w/ the Ulster? I like them, which is no surprise as I generally enjoy Handley, but is it really mid price? Isn't list price around $50 ? BTW, they haven't remastered them, it's a 1994 release I think.

They did however remaster and re-issue The 6 Irish Rhapsodies and Piano Concerto from the same recordings on a double disc set for $13.98...which is very good!  I'm hoping they do the same for the Clarinet Concerto and Concert Piece for Organ & Orchestra.

Well, remastering Chandos recordings from 1994 is not really necessary, for I can say they sound well enough.
I remember Sarge saying the same thing about the price, but here in Europe  it is midprice.

sound67

Quote from: johnQpublic on April 15, 2007, 01:36:14 PM
Springrite & I agree on this one. But I'd call it banal rathr than boring.

Count me in on the banality charge. Innocuous, simplistic, harmless music. Clearly, the shell shock never wore off.

Thomas
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

tjguitar

Quote from: Harry on May 07, 2007, 10:40:52 PM
Well, remastering Chandos recordings from 1994 is not really necessary, for I can say they sound well enough.
I remember Sarge saying the same thing about the price, but here in Europe  it is midprice.

Well technically theyre from the late 80s thru 91, the symphonies were just released together w/o all the other extras in 92-94ish.  But you're right, they're fairly recent enough.  Still, Chandos has remastered a number of recordings from the same timeframe.  I'm happy with the set, for sure.  I just hope they re-issue the clarinet concerto and concert piece for organ and orchestra as it's only available on a couple of single discs of symphonies and I don't want to re-buy those. for the "extras" :)

Sean

The opening of the Fifth symphony is one of the cleverest and even most memorable melodies I ever heard, hiding disturbingly strong emotions beneath a sunny surface- Lloyd being a manic depressive. I've tried a few other symphonies along with the Symphonic mass but though he has his own distinct voice I don't rate much of it that highly. A composer to explore more.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Sean on May 08, 2007, 09:13:35 AM
The opening of the Fifth symphony is one of the cleverest and even most memorable melodies I ever heard, hiding disturbingly strong emotions beneath a sunny surface- Lloyd being a manic depressive. I've tried a few other symphonies along with the Symphonic mass but though he has his own distinct voice I don't rate much of it that highly. A composer to explore more.

Yes, I love the Fifth; it's my favorite of the symphonies I've heard so far. Today I heard 1 and 12 for the first time and was impressed (the First surprised me; I wasn't expecting much but it's quite an accomplishment for a 19-year-old). I also own 8, 9, and 11 but they haven't grabbed me. In truth, I haven't given them my full attention; I'm not blaming the music yet. More tomorrow...it's nearly 1:30 a.m. here.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

John Copeland

Quote from: springrite on April 15, 2007, 10:54:06 AM
I have heard 4 or 5 symphonies and one concerto, along with some shorter pieces. Frankly, I find Lloyd's musis rather boring -- a bit more interesting than Stanford, but not as interesting as Parry ( to name two composers somewhat similar ).

WHAT???   >:(  What utter nonsense.  Lloyd is nothing like Stanford or Parry, not even close, I'm amazed they were held up in comparison.  And to say Lloyds music is 'rather boring' is enough to make me quite literally laugh.
Unbelievable.   >:(
Lloyds music is exciting and, for an Englsih composer, wonderfully creative and forward thinking.  As I've recently got his Requiem and some of his symphonies, I've thought of Lloyd as a breath of fresh air and a musically brilliant orchestrator.
Pah!  :P  :(

Dundonnell

Quote from: John on March 16, 2009, 10:17:07 AM
WHAT???   >:(  What utter nonsense.  Lloyd is nothing like Stanford or Parry, not even close, I'm amazed they were held up in comparison.  And to say Lloyds music is 'rather boring' is enough to make me quite literally laugh.
Unbelievable.   >:(
Lloyds music is exciting and, for an Englsih composer, wonderfully creative and forward thinking.  As I've recently got his Requiem and some of his symphonies, I've thought of Lloyd as a breath of fresh air and a musically brilliant orchestrator.
Pah!  :P  :(

I rather like George Lloyd as well, John-although I am obviously far too much of a spineless wimp to have said so before on GMG ;D I don't rate him as a composer of any real originality and I find his 'lighter' symphonies and the 'lighter' movements within the symphonies often somewhat facile. His slow movements however do have a considerable amount of depth, passion and sheer beauty. And, yes, I agree that the man could orchestrate!

My own favourites among the symphonies are Nos. 4, 5, 7 and 11-with No.7 being by far the best imo. I know that No.11 has been criticised a lot-but I happen to like the work very much :)

I don't think that Lloyd can be completely acquitted of the charge of banality on occasion and he was undoubtedly exceptionally fortunate to be able to afford to subsidise the complete recordings of his music but I agree that the comparisons with Stanford and Parry are, to say the least, strange :)

The bottom line is though that there is probably no middle way with Lloyd. People will either dismiss the music with utter contempt as totally 'irrelevant' to the 20th century, eg "George Lloyd's music is perfect for those who wish to ignore the fact that they are living at the end of the 20th century"(Mark Morris)or cherish the lyrical gifts of a composer who knew just how hopelessly out of fashion he would be for most of his life but went on regardless.

schweitzeralan

Quote from: Thom on April 14, 2007, 12:37:44 PM
Some time ago Composer of the week (BBC Radio 3) was dedicated to George Lloyd. I made a recording of these episodes and was able to record all the symphonies (12 of them), played by the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra and several conductors amongst them Lloyd himself. I am still discovering this music but what I have heard so far was much to my liking, especially the 3d and 4th symphonies. Has anyone any experience with the music of this composer? I had never heard of him and so it was a shot in the dark, of which I am not at all sorry.

X

I have been a strong enthusiast of George Lloyd's symphonies for several years and have recordings of his later works.  I particularly like the 8th and 9th symphonies. Several good posts on this erstwhile neglected composers are illuminating.  This is not a professional opinion but is more of an assumption.  Lloyd's work suggests to me influences from two significant sources in British music; namely Delius and Elgar. These composers created quite different musical styles, or patterns, as it were.  Lloyd's works have for the most part that "Elgarian" presence; however, there is a magical, mystical element, particularly in his 9th, which reminds me of the Delian, or of other composers of the "Bax Generation," who were quite influenced, in my opinion, by the music of Delius.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 16, 2009, 03:36:28 PM
I rather like George Lloyd as well, John-although I am obviously far too much of a spineless wimp to have said so before on GMG ;D I don't rate him as a composer of any real originality and I find his 'lighter' symphonies and the 'lighter' movements within the symphonies often somewhat facile. His slow movements however do have a considerable amount of depth, passion and sheer beauty. And, yes, I agree that the man could orchestrate!

My own favourites among the symphonies are Nos. 4, 5, 7 and 11-with No.7 being by far the best imo. I know that No.11 has been criticised a lot-but I happen to like the work very much :)

I don't think that Lloyd can be completely acquitted of the charge of banality on occasion and he was undoubtedly exceptionally fortunate to be able to afford to subsidise the complete recordings of his music but I agree that the comparisons with Stanford and Parry are, to say the least, strange :)

The bottom line is though that there is probably no middle way with Lloyd. People will either dismiss the music with utter contempt as totally 'irrelevant' to the 20th century, eg "George Lloyd's music is perfect for those who wish to ignore the fact that they are living at the end of the 20th century"(Mark Morris)or cherish the lyrical gifts of a composer who knew just how hopelessly out of fashion he would be for most of his life but went on regardless.

I am very much in agreement - even to the extent of really liking the inspiriting 11th Symphony (the only one I have seen live - with George Lloyd conducting). 'Like a cross between Ron Goodwin and Sibelius' is one description I have read of Lloyd's music - not entirely fair, but with an element of truth perhaps. Symphony No 4 is the best in my view, but also No 7 and 8 (great slow movement). I also like the 'Scapegoat' Piano Concerto and the Khachaturian like 3rd Piano Concerto. He is a more interesting composer that often given credit for I think.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 16, 2009, 03:36:28 PM
My own favourites among the symphonies are Nos. 4, 5, 7 and 11-with No.7 being by far the best imo.

Quote from: vandermolen on March 23, 2009, 12:25:18 AM
Symphony No 4 is the best in my view, but also No 7...

Since my last post in this thread I've added symphonies 2 and 4 to my Lloyd collection. The Seventh I don't have but I just placed an order. Hope to have it by the end of the week.

Sarge

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 23, 2009, 07:02:36 AM
Since my last post in this thread I've added symphonies 2 and 4 to my Lloyd collection. The Seventh I don't have but I just placed an order. Hope to have it by the end of the week.

Sarge

Let us know what you think.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Lloyd's music (especially the symphonies) is something I have been wanting to explore for quite some time. I wish Albany Records would just go ahead and create a box set of the symhonies and other orchestral works like the concerti. I mean I wonder why they haven't yet? I'm sure they get some kind of feedback on this from time to time?

By the way, to compare Stanford's and Parry's symphonies to that of Lloyd is really like trying to compare apples and oranges. Lloyd isn't anything like them and the only affinity they share was they all composed classical music.

Harry

O, dear I suddenly remember that a box with his symphonies is lying about somewhere, and I must start listening to it. I faintly recall a attempt that was aborted somehow, anyway what I heard made me sit up. This is the box that suffered my abuse. :)

Sergeant Rock

I have that box too, Harry, but there seems to be a controversy about who really wrote those symphonies.

Sarge

Harry

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thats a marvelous thing you did there!!!!!! He looks like Miss Marple sure enough.
Bravo for you cunning, you almost got me! ;D

snyprrr

Quote from: John on March 16, 2009, 10:17:07 AM
exciting and, for an Englsih composer, wonderfully creative and forward thinking. 

Yes, for an English composer he not bad,... mean what do you expect, right? ;D

vandermolen

I've always thought that George Lloyd looked like Margaret Rutherford (the first 'Miss Marple' on film).

cilgwyn

Some posts on the HB thread relating to the difficulty of Havergal Brian's later symphonies got me looking,out of curiosity,I suppose, for a George Lloyd thread. In many ways,Lloyd has to be the ultimate in easy symphony listening. Indeed,it is quite possible that if he had composed popular music he would be classed as 'middle of the road'!! What I DO find interesting about this thread is the number of posts by members curious about his music,who seem to have ordered cds of Lloyds music,in response to posts here;yet,the last post here is dated 2010?!! Could it be that their purchases didn't quite live up to expectations?!!!
I was also suprised to read that Dundonnell,who seems to have emigrated to the AMF Forum,is quite positive towards the symphonies of George Lloyd. I know he's not keen on York Bowen,having a penchance for challenging,predominantly sombre music,of the kind composed by Fricker,Cooke & Wordsworth,amongst others,so,I must say, I was expecting luke warm enthusiasm at best! Instead,he singles out his slow movements as having 'a considerable amount of depth,passion and sheer beauty". Adding,quote,"I agree that the man could orchestrate".

As to me;the only Lloyd symphony I ever owned was No7,which has a finale which sounds,at times,as if John Williams of 'Star Wars' & 'Indiana Jones' fame,has got in on the action! Not having heard the symphony for years,I recall a series of VERY LOUD climaxes,each one LOUDER and more spectacular,if that's the right word for it,than the one before it. What the heck it had to do with the legend of Persephone,I don't know?!! Judging by the sheer decibels erupting in the finale;old Indie Jones,or the Man of Steel himself,must have dropped in on the action,to rescue Persephone in person!
Either way,it certainly gave my record player speakers a thumping. Full blast with bass at maximum & my parents running for the nearest air raid shelter (tough luck,about that!)
I was a teenager then;now I'm middle aged and for the last few days I've been playing piano/instrumental music by Scott (much better than his orchestral music) Bax & Ireland;and currently,Piano Quartets & Quintets by Faure!! ???

What's happening to me?!! :( ???