George Lloyd

Started by Thom, April 14, 2007, 12:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on February 02, 2022, 09:20:37 AM
Nice review Fergus. I like the 11th and 12th symphonies in that series. No.12 is one of my favourites and you are right about the ending which is rather moving.

Cheers, Jeffrey. Yes, Nos. 11 and 12 were both great works but, in truth, I have enjoyed all of them. Lloyd was a real "find" for me.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on February 02, 2022, 10:36:48 AM
Cheers, Jeffrey. Yes, Nos. 11 and 12 were both great works but, in truth, I have enjoyed all of them. Lloyd was a real "find" for me.
4,5,7,8,11 and 12 remain my favourites along with several of the piano concertos.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: aligreto on February 02, 2022, 10:34:59 AM
I hope that my enjoyment of these works came through in the writing.

It certainly did. And it's always interesting to listen to works you know with someone else's ears.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

classicalgeek

I've enjoyed reading your insightful reviews as well! Thank you for sharing them. I need to get back to George Lloyd - I think I've listened to eight of the Symphonies (1, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, and 12) as well as the Violin Concertos (Concerto for violin and strings, Concerto for violin and winds.) But there's so much else to explore, especially the Piano Concertos and choral works.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on February 02, 2022, 11:05:06 AM
4,5,7,8,11 and 12 remain my favourites along with several of the piano concertos.

Quote from: classicalgeek on February 02, 2022, 11:18:15 AM
I've enjoyed reading your insightful reviews as well! Thank you for sharing them. I need to get back to George Lloyd - I think I've listened to eight of the Symphonies (1, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, and 12) as well as the Violin Concertos (Concerto for violin and strings, Concerto for violin and winds.) But there's so much else to explore, especially the Piano Concertos and choral works.

The next step for me, then, is obviously to go beyond the Symphonies. I would be interested to hear his choral music.

aligreto

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on February 02, 2022, 11:15:18 AM

It certainly did. And it's always interesting to listen to works you know with someone else's ears.

I am not so sure that my ears are the safest to filter through though  ;D

relm1

And don't forget the operas.  They are major, epic lyrical works.  Like this one: https://www.allmusic.com/album/george-lloyd-iernin-mw0001806485

aligreto

Quote from: relm1 on February 03, 2022, 06:22:58 AM
And don't forget the operas.  They are major, epic lyrical works.  Like this one: https://www.allmusic.com/album/george-lloyd-iernin-mw0001806485

Thank you for that.

kyjo

Quote from: relm1 on February 03, 2022, 06:22:58 AM

Too bad that recording of Iernin is impossible to come by on Spotify or YT...I was able to find an album of highlights from his opera John Socman, though.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Maestro267

Yeah, the Spotify catalogue seems to be random. You have to search under BBC Philharmonic to find the composer's recording of the 5th Symphony, and under "Albany Symphony Orchestra" to find the 11th Symphony.

aligreto

George Lloyd: Cello Concerto [Ross/Miller]

https://www.youtube.com/v/86e9bRTj1Uw

This is my first time hearing this work and I must say that I really liked it.

Pathos and poignancy seem to be the predominant emotions portrayed throughout the work without it, however, sounding gloomy or despondent. It is a consistently lyrical work with wonderful cantabile lines for the cello throughout, particularly in the Adagio movement. There is plenty of energy, drive and excitement in the outer movements, particularly in the final movement. I find the concerto to be very appealing and engaging.

I do wonder how DuPré would have performed it with her masterly touch.

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on February 17, 2022, 08:41:06 AM
George Lloyd: Cello Concerto [Ross/Miller]

https://www.youtube.com/v/86e9bRTj1Uw

This is my first time hearing this work and I must say that I really liked it.

Pathos and poignancy seem to be the predominant emotions portrayed throughout the work without it, however, sounding gloomy or despondent. It is a consistently lyrical work with wonderful cantabile lines for the cello throughout, particularly in the Adagio movement. There is plenty of energy, drive and excitement in the outer movements, particularly in the final movement. I find the concerto to be very appealing and engaging.

I do wonder how DuPré would have performed it with her masterly touch.

Amazingly as I listened the Armageddon of storm Eunice suddenly dissipated and peace returns!

I had George Lloyd as a great tunesmith but most surprised at the passion of the work. Any English  cello concerto is going to be compared with the benchmark Elgar and Lloyd does not disappoint. Lloyd has his own voice but elements of the older composer rose to the surface intermittently throughout the work, I felt.
Thanks for posting, Fergus. If I can locate a copy it will definitely be on my shopping list.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on February 18, 2022, 08:36:21 AM

I had George Lloyd as a great tunesmith but most surprised at the passion of the work. Any English  cello concerto is going to be compared with the benchmark Elgar and Lloyd does not disappoint. Lloyd has his own voice but elements of the older composer rose to the surface intermittently throughout the work, I felt.
Thanks for posting, Fergus. If I can locate a copy it will definitely be on my shopping list.   

I am very pleased that you liked it, Lol. I thought that it was a very fine work.
Inevitably, any cello concerto written by a British composer will, unfortunately, be compared with that of Elgar. I do feel, however, that Lloyd holds his own and the work richly deserves to be appreciated.

aligreto

George Lloyd: Psalm 130 [Out of the depths], performed by St Albans Chamber Choir/Gibbons:

https://www.youtube.com/v/b4YahdW7Ois

There is a very interesting and informative introduction to this video which says all that there is to say about this music, I feel. I find the music to be, unsurprisingly, somewhat stark and bleak but engaging.

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on February 18, 2022, 12:26:52 PM
I am very pleased that you liked it, Lol. I thought that it was a very fine work.
Inevitably, any cello concerto written by a British composer will, unfortunately, be compared with that of Elgar. I do feel, however, that Lloyd holds his own and the work richly deserves to be appreciated.

I find it great that Lloyd tips his hat to Elgar. The list of composers who acknowledge a fellow composer or piece in their work is endless. It was just a fleeting moments in Lloyd's concerto that Elgar's CC came to mind and I am convinced he meant it to be so.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on February 20, 2022, 07:16:47 AM
I find it great that Lloyd tips his hat to Elgar. The list of composers who acknowledge a fellow composer or piece in their work is endless. It was just a fleeting moments in Lloyd's concerto that Elgar's CC came to mind and I am convinced he meant it to be so.

Yes, I would have no doubt and I would agree. Perhaps that is why, subconsciously, Jackie DuPré came to mind.

aligreto

kyjo

Yesterday I revisited the blazing masterpiece that is A Symphonic Mass (1992):

I say this without any hyperbole: This is one of the most magnificent, epic, and awe-inspiring pieces of music known to me!!! Great as his symphonies are, I think A Symphonic Mass may very well be Lloyd's masterwork. I can say with great confidence that it is my single favorite work composed in the last 50 or so years, and perhaps even my favorite work for chorus and orchestra. What makes this work so compelling to me is its constant struggle between light (radiant lyricism/consonance) and dark (threatening chromaticism/dissonance). Especially powerful are the Credo and Sanctus/Benedictus movements - simply witness the great climax of the former (beginning around 8:45 in the video below). Absolutely spine-tinglingly thrilling doesn't even begin to describe it: https://youtu.be/lIMauNO4nMo

Another aspect of the work that I find appealing is its lack of vocal soloists - it's simply for chorus and orchestra, and Lloyd's writing for both is superbly virtuosic and inventive. It's a magnificent summation of this ever-endearing composer's career, and I urge anyone who hasn't heard it yet to please give it a try!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

J.Z. Herrenberg

It's clear I have to listen to it again... Thanks! Wonderful advocacy!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on June 05, 2022, 10:31:28 PM
It's clear I have to listen to it again... Thanks! Wonderful advocacy!
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).