George Lloyd

Started by Thom, April 14, 2007, 12:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albion and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Maestro267

The Symphonic Mass is one of my favourite works of Lloyd's as well. Sometimes it is my favourite. The climax to the Sanctus is absolutely stunning!

J.Z. Herrenberg

I just listened. Yes, a very inspired piece. I don't know what I missed the first time... Now it spoke to me much more strongly. As a Catholic convert (2014) who sings in a choir during Mass (we sing works by Haydn, Mozart, Gounod, Bruckner and others), it was wonderful to hear what Lloyd does with words I know so well (although, since Vatican II, we don't sing the Credo anymore, which is a pity). Lloyd's Credo is tremendous, especially the passage dealing with the Incarnation. The Credo and the Sanctus are the high points for me, too. Great music!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

relm1

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on June 06, 2022, 03:58:40 AM
I just listened. Yes, a very inspired piece. I don't know what I missed the first time... Now it spoke to me much more strongly. As a Catholic convert (2014) who sings in a choir during Mass (we sing works by Haydn, Mozart, Gounod, Bruckner and others), it was wonderful to hear what Lloyd does with words I know so well (although, since Vatican II, we don't sing the Credo anymore, which is a pity). Lloyd's Credo is tremendous, especially the passage dealing with the Incarnation. The Credo and the Sanctus are the high points for me, too. Great music!

Why was the credo dropped?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: relm1 on June 06, 2022, 05:17:43 AM
Why was the credo dropped?

They wanted everyone to be involved in the profession of faith. So they dropped the Credo movements from the masses and let everyone say the Credo (or sing it from a hymnal). In the Requiem they scrapped the Dies Irae (people don't like Hell much, or mentioning God's wrath).
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

kyjo

Great to see some other admirers of the magnificent Symphonic Mass! It's a work that's had such a great impact on me.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

relm1

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on June 06, 2022, 05:25:10 AM

They wanted everyone to be involved in the profession of faith. So they dropped the Credo movements from the masses and let everyone say the Credo (or sing it from a hymnal). In the Requiem they scrapped the Dies Irae (people don't like Hell much, or mentioning God's wrath).

But the credo and Dies Irae are some of the best sources for music!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: relm1 on June 13, 2022, 06:09:16 AM
But the credo and Dies Irae are some of the best sources for music!

I know. Our choir knows... But that's Vatican II for you.

vandermolen

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on June 13, 2022, 06:56:13 AM

I know. Our choir knows... But that's Vatican II for you.

Your inbox is full Johan. Happy Birthday!  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on June 13, 2022, 02:04:05 PM
Your inbox is full Johan. Happy Birthday!  ;D

Thanks!

I know... But to get to my Inbox I have to subscribe again. I'll have a think.

Symphonic Addict

Happy birthday, Mr. Herrenberg! Good to see someone else listening to Langgaard, Graener, Juon and Bruckner currently.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 13, 2022, 03:48:51 PM
Happy birthday, Mr. Herrenberg! Good to see someone else listening to Langgaard, Graener, Juon and Bruckner currently.

Thank you! And well-spotted! Paul Graener, especially, was really a great find. His Symphony in D minor, Turmwächterlied, and Symphonietta, are all strongly recommended. If history hadn't tainted his name, these works would be on the repertoire.

Symphonic Addict

Has anyone ever heard The Vigil of Venus? I'm curious about this work.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Maestro267

It's not on masterpiece level like the Symphonic Mass.

relm1

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 30, 2022, 11:27:46 AM
Has anyone ever heard The Vigil of Venus? I'm curious about this work.

I like it.  Found it quasi-operatic.  I also prefer Symphonic Mass but remember enjoying it.

Symphonic Addict

Thanks for the comments. Yet another work on the pile to investigate.

Noam Chomsky

Albion

When will Albany have the sense to issue all of their George Lloyd recordings in a single affordable box? This policy would make it a mandatory purchase. I see that "Iernin" is now $51! They should just shove it all together, coupling works to save on the number of discs, and flog it far and wide...

8)
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

foxandpeng

Quote from: ol1v1errr on March 10, 2023, 09:44:24 AMI have always been captivated by the works of George Lloyd. His compositions are a true testament to his talent and his unique approach to orchestration and melody.

What sets Lloyd apart from other composers of his time is his ability to fuse the traditional forms of classical music with modern and contemporary techniques. His works are a perfect blend of old and new, creating a sound that is both familiar and fresh at the same time.

I first discovered Lloyd's music when I was a student of music theory, and I was immediately drawn to his works. I was impressed by the complexity and depth of his compositions, as well as his ability to create intricate and emotive melodies that stayed with me long after I had listened to them.

As I delved deeper into his music, I began to appreciate the various influences that had shaped his style. Lloyd's time spent in the army during World War II, for instance, had a significant impact on his work, as did his experiences living in rural England. These influences are evident in his compositions, which often feature military-inspired rhythms and folk-like melodies.

Despite his many achievements, Lloyd's music is unfortunately not as well-known as that of his contemporaries. This is a great shame, as I believe that his work is some of the most innovative and exciting to come out of the classical music world in the 20th century.

For those who have not yet discovered George Lloyd, I highly recommend giving his music a listen. His works are sure to leave a lasting impression and will undoubtedly change the way you think about classical music.

Very much agreed. Lloyd is greatly appreciated by many here, and his symphonies are a grand addition to the British symphonic tradition. I really like him very much.

Welcome to the forum, because we've not said hello before 😁
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Albion

Quote from: Albion on March 10, 2023, 09:34:41 AMWhen will Albany have the sense to issue all of their George Lloyd recordings in a single affordable box? This policy would make it a mandatory purchase. I see that "Iernin" is now $51! They should just shove it all together, coupling works to save on the number of discs, and flog it far and wide...

8)

I have just received a very positive email reply from Albany, to the effect that they have now reached an agreement with Lyrita to repackage and re-release their George Lloyd recordings...

;D

...also, new recordings are mentioned.
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

foxandpeng

Quote from: Albion on March 11, 2023, 02:36:55 PMI have just received a very positive email reply from Albany, to the effect that they have now reached an agreement with Lyrita to repackage and re-release their George Lloyd recordings...

;D

...also, new recordings are mentioned.

That is excellent news. Hearing Symphonies 4, 6 and 7 has been great today, and makes me keen to visit his whole non-operatic oeuvre.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Albion

Although "Iernin" and "John Socman" have both been broadcast and are available in some form or another what we really need now is "The Serf". There is absolutely NO excuse for this composer to be neglected, so hopefully the conjunction of Albany and Lyrita may present some good results...

:)