George Lloyd

Started by Thom, April 14, 2007, 12:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

I see that Lyrita are releasing a whole batch of Lloyd sets. Lyrita never issued the piano concertos so, I guess, that these must be the concertos originally issued on Albany. I have all the symphonies on individual releases including the fine Lyrita set featuring symphonies 4, 5 and 8, so, for now at least, I'm resisting the symphony sets despite their excellent value.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Well, today's release of Symphonies 7 - 12 finally gives me opportunity to listen to works that I have waited a long time to hear. Happy boy.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Harry

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 04, 2024, 10:45:48 PMWell, today's release of Symphonies 7 - 12 finally gives me opportunity to listen to works that I have waited a long time to hear. Happy boy.

O, Yeah ;D  ;D  ;D
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Maestro267

Quote from: vandermolen on April 04, 2024, 01:17:33 PMI see that Lyrita are releasing a whole batch of Lloyd sets. Lyrita never issued the piano concertos so, I guess, that these must be the concertos originally issued on Albany. I have all the symphonies on individual releases including the fine Lyrita set featuring symphonies 4, 5 and 8, so, for now at least, I'm resisting the symphony sets despite their excellent value.

All of these reissues were originally on Albany. The Piano Concertos are coming in June.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 05, 2024, 12:41:35 AMAll of these reissues were originally on Albany. The Piano Concertos are coming in June.
Thanks  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

The only thing I'm not fully sure about is whether we'll get a reissue of The Vigil of Venus as that was originally on the Arco label.

Maestro267

My set of Symphonies 7-12 has arrived. Excellent and detailed liner notes included.

Starting off with the 9th Symphony as it's one of the three in this set I haven't heard yet. I was just completely blown away by the slow movement. I was expecting something on the calm side, like No. 7. But my word it's majestically grim and powerful! I absolutely love it! Brilliantly orchestrated like all of Lloyd's music is. I got similar vibes to the slow movements of Malcolm Arnold's 7th Symphony and more pertinently Arthur Butterworth's Viola Concerto.

Albion

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 05, 2024, 07:03:30 AMMy set of Symphonies 7-12 has arrived. Excellent and detailed liner notes included.

Starting off with the 9th Symphony as it's one of the three in this set I haven't heard yet. I was just completely blown away by the slow movement. I was expecting something on the calm side, like No. 7. But my word it's majestically grim and powerful! I absolutely love it! Brilliantly orchestrated like all of Lloyd's music is. I got similar vibes to the slow movements of Malcolm Arnold's 7th Symphony and more pertinently Arthur Butterworth's Viola Concerto.

Every piece that Lloyd set down on paper was just so carefully crafted and imbued with his personal experience at the time of composition. Ye Dogs, somebody actually wrote memorable tunes between 1930 and 1998! And dared to pop them into symphonies, concertos, choral works and operas...

J
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

kyjo

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 05, 2024, 07:03:30 AMMy set of Symphonies 7-12 has arrived. Excellent and detailed liner notes included.

Yes, the slow movement of the 9th Symphony is one of Lloyd's darker and harmonically acerbic utterances. It's powerful stuff as you say! The first movement perhaps isn't one of Lloyd's strongest, but the third movement finale is a riotously fun, colorful romp featuring a plethora of "phones and spiels" in the percussion section à la RVW's 8th.

P.S. I haven't been able to get the scherzo of the 4th Symphony out of my head for the past couple weeks! Lloyd sure knew how to write one damn good tune after the next... :D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Irons

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 04, 2024, 10:45:48 PMWell, today's release of Symphonies 7 - 12 finally gives me opportunity to listen to works that I have waited a long time to hear. Happy boy.

Me too. Impressively produced box set of CDs and value for money off the scale.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Albion

Quote from: Irons on April 07, 2024, 11:18:17 PMMe too. Impressively produced box set of CDs and value for money off the scale.

What a legacy he left us. I am cremating my nephew today who looked after me for 8 years and was murdered on 4th March. He loved my "opera music" as he always called it, no matter what it was. Please pray to Dog for Paul...

Jx
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

foxandpeng

Quote from: Albion on April 08, 2024, 04:32:29 AMWhat a legacy he left us. I am cremating my nephew today who looked after me for 8 years and was murdered on 4th March. He loved my "opera music" as he always called it, no matter what it was. Please pray to Dog for Paul...

Jx

Sorry to hear this. Loss is dreadful.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Albion

Thankyou fox. I've organised and paid for eight funerals thus far, mostly because those who were next of kin couldn't be arsed. Humanity simply steps aside in these cases. But love continues, as it clearly did with George Lloyd (aka Margaret Rutherford).

Love to all in the forum. Jxx

foxandpeng

Quote from: Albion on April 08, 2024, 01:36:18 PMThankyou fox. I've organised and paid for eight funerals thus far, mostly because those who were next of kin couldn't be arsed. Humanity simply steps aside in these cases. But love continues, as it clearly did with George Lloyd (aka Margaret Rutherford).

Yes, it does. Thinking of you!

Tolstoy

JBS

Quote from: Albion on April 08, 2024, 04:32:29 AMWhat a legacy he left us. I am cremating my nephew today who looked after me for 8 years and was murdered on 4th March. He loved my "opera music" as he always called it, no matter what it was. Please pray to Dog for Paul...

Jx
May his memory be a source of blessing.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Irons

Quote from: Albion on April 08, 2024, 01:36:18 PMThankyou fox. I've organised and paid for eight funerals thus far, mostly because those who were next of kin couldn't be arsed. Humanity simply steps aside in these cases. But love continues, as it clearly did with George Lloyd (aka Margaret Rutherford).

A sad post which still managed to make me smile (aka Margaret Rutherford). To find humour in the darkest of places is a gift.

Incidentally, I enjoyed Lloyd's 7th very much, good sound too. Fully intend to get to know the work before moving onto 8th
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Jx

Sorry to read this, take care @Albion
Olivier

Roy Bland

Jx
It is terrible to hear about your loss. I offer you my most heartfelt condolences

Maestro267

Listening to Symphony No. 8 again as it was the only one of the three (8-10) that I hadn't listened to prior to getting the box set last week that kinda flew over me. I wasn't paying quite as much attention. Maybe it was late, idk.

Maestro267

Riddle me this, fellow Lloyders: A look at the credits for the Lyrita box of Symphonies 7-12 produces a quandary. The recording date for The Serf Orchestral Suite No. 1 is listed as 15 January 2000. It, like every other work in this box, is credited as being "Conducted by the Composer". George Lloyd died in 1998. What do?