George Lloyd

Started by Thom, April 14, 2007, 12:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hattoff 2 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

relm1

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 16, 2024, 05:01:39 AMRiddle me this, fellow Lloyders: A look at the credits for the Lyrita box of Symphonies 7-12 produces a quandary. The recording date for The Serf Orchestral Suite No. 1 is listed as 15 January 2000. It, like every other work in this box, is credited as being "Conducted by the Composer". George Lloyd died in 1998. What do?

The riddle you raise, is indeed true,
Having no answer, makes me feel blue.
While looking further, the mystery grows bigger,
Till I finally realize, the conductor was David Allen Miller.

Maestro267

1. Excellent response, sir!

2. I wonder why he doesn't get credited at all in the booklet then.

Maestro267

Got the Symphonies 1-6 box today so that's the complete symphonies finally in my collection after all this time.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 02, 2024, 02:46:51 AMGot the Symphonies 1-6 box today so that's the complete symphonies finally in my collection after all this time.

Happy listening!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Maestro267

A Symphonic Mass/Litany and Requiem/Psalm 130 discs released today and available on streaming platforms.

Big David

I have just bought that disc of Lloyd's cello concerto and Serf suite.  I've really enjoyed it.  I know very little of Lloyd's music but I think I will have to buy those boxes of his symphonies.

Maestro267

I suspect the Cello Concerto is being reissued as part of this Lyrita cycle in the next few months. Maybe c/w the two Violin Concertos. The Serf suite is already part of the Symphonies 7-12 box.

Albion

Quote from: Big David on May 03, 2024, 07:26:42 AMI have just bought that disc of Lloyd's cello concerto and Serf suite.  I've really enjoyed it.  I know very little of Lloyd's music but I think I will have to buy those boxes of his symphonies.

They are fantastic value both economically and musically. You can't go wrong with Lloyd. If only the BBC had followed through with their intention to record "The Serf" complete with Edward Downes in 1990...
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)