George Lloyd

Started by Thom, April 14, 2007, 12:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on August 17, 2017, 06:12:09 AM
Does anyone know when this will be released?  I don't see it on Amazon or lytira's website.
1st September according to the Amazon.co.uk website.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scion7

He didn't compose a lot of chamber works, but still one would think that some of it would have been recorded.

Lament, Air and Dance, for Violin & Piano  (1975)
Sonata for Violin & Piano  (1976)

A Miniature Triptych (1) for Brass Quintet 2 Trpt,Horn,Trbn,Tba  (1981)

8-28-17 oops!  my mistake - Tasmin Little/Martin Roscoe - Troy029-2 / Albany

radio broadcast - Equale Brass

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

Quote from: vandermolen on August 11, 2017, 01:01:37 PM
Yes, get on with it! 8)

Sunday night's project!
Going to download the YT audio files and take them for a spin over the coming days.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on August 27, 2017, 03:53:11 PM
Sunday night's project!
Going to download the YT audio files and take them for a spin over the coming days.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scion7

Continuing on a very, very early Tuesday morning when I should be in bed!
Good stuff - melodic, well constructed.
He was a good composer of music for brass - a couple of live performance vids for your ... downloadness ...

King's Messenger  -->  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dob6Y4ocMs

The Forest of Arden -->  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvIzjmnR_pE

relm1

Quote from: Scion7 on August 28, 2017, 08:07:53 PM
Continuing on a very, very early Tuesday morning when I should be in bed!
Good stuff - melodic, well constructed.
He was a good composer of music for brass - a couple of live performance vids for your ... downloadness ...

King's Messenger  -->  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dob6Y4ocMs

The Forest of Arden -->  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvIzjmnR_pE

Brits have always been good brass writers it seems.  I love Malcolm Arnold's, Derek Bourgeois' (unlike his orchestral music that is never performed his brass music is very popular), Arthur Butterworth's brass music immensely.   

Scion7

I've been giving this a listen.

[asin]B0000049KQ[/asin]

African Shrine is an agressive, Bartokian piece.

vandermolen

The performance of the Symphony 7 here is, IMHO, terrific in this release of the premiere performance under Edward Downes. It is darker and more epic than in the Conifer release under the composer. I've had to play it twice already.
Paul Conway speculates in the notes that Lloyd's traumatic war-time experiences may be being played out here more than in the Fourth Symphony, which is usually associated with the War:
[asin]B073FD61S5[/asin]

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on September 02, 2017, 06:17:38 AM
The performance of the Symphony 7 here is, IMHO, terrific in this release of the premiere performance under Edward Downes. It is darker and more epic than in the Conifer release under the composer. I've had to play it twice already.
Paul Conway speculates in the notes that Lloyd's traumatic war-time experiences may be being played out here more than in the Fourth Symphony, which is usually associated with the War:
[asin]B073FD61S5[/asin]

Wow was this good!  Great CD.  Very strong work and performance in fine analog sound. 

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on September 02, 2017, 04:54:28 PM
Wow was this good!  Great CD.  Very strong work and performance in fine analog sound.
Delighted you think so too.  :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Just want to say: I have listened to symphonies 4-9 for the past few weeks. Have fallen head over heels in love with 6, 7 and 9. Will expand on this later.

One gripe - what's Theresa May doing on that Lyrita cover of 6 & 7?
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on March 28, 2018, 09:01:42 AM
Just want to say: I have listened to symphonies 4-9 for the past few weeks. Have fallen head over heels in love with 6, 7 and 9. Will expand on this later.

One gripe - what's Theresa May doing on that Lyrita cover of 6 & 7?

It's Margaret Rutherford actually.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=margaret+rutherford&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiX5qncxI_aAhUUesAKHXr8BakQ_AUIESgB&biw=1024&bih=672#imgrc=TAnxrTsfmusdUM:

8)

Symphonies 4,7,8,10 and 11 are my favourites plus the 'Scapegoat' piano concerto and also PC No.3.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on March 28, 2018, 09:01:42 AMHave fallen head over heels in love with 6, 7 and 9.

Quote from: vandermolen on March 28, 2018, 09:25:08 AM
Symphonies 4,7,8,10 and 11 are my favourites

My Top Five: 7, 5, 4, 12, 11 ...although I enjoy them all, more or less. The only real problem is the last movement of 8: just too long, frantic and unvaried.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 28, 2018, 09:37:56 AM
My Top Five: 7, 5, 4, 12, 11 ...although I enjoy them all, more or less. The only real problem is the last movement of 8: just too long, frantic and unvaried.

Sarge

I meant 12 and not 10. 12 is a poetic and touching end to the cycle. No.11 and PC 3 remind me of Khachaturian.

Sergeant Rock

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vandermolen on March 28, 2018, 09:41:02 AM
I meant 12 and not 10. 12 is a poetic and touching end to the cycle.

Ah...I confess I was surprised the band symphony was in your top 5. 12 makes more sense, and on that we agree.

Sarge

vandermolen

kyjo

I really like Lloyd's PC no. 4, which often has a lush, Rachmaninoffian flavor. The finale is annoyingly catchy! I must become more familiar with his symphonies - I only know no. 8, which I liked quite a bit.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

cilgwyn

If you like,the eighth,you're bound to enjoy No's 4-7. I like the Seventh best,followed by the Fifth and Fourth (in that order).

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 02, 2018, 05:41:26 AM
If you like,the eighth,you're bound to enjoy No's 4-7. I like the Seventh best,followed by the Fifth and Fourth (in that order).

Those are the finest ones I think although I also like the slow movement of No.8 and the Khachaturian-like No.11.