George Lloyd

Started by Thom, April 14, 2007, 12:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Symphonies 4-9 are at this moment my core Lloyd symphonies. I have postponed listening to the final three, because I want to have something to look forward to. I never expected to appreciate... Miss Marple so much!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on April 11, 2018, 08:08:53 AM
Symphonies 4-9 are at this moment my core Lloyd symphonies. I have postponed listening to the final three, because I want to have something to look forward to. I never expected to appreciate... Miss Marple so much!
Excellent Johan - it's amazing that she had time to compose between solving all those mysterious and complicated murder cases.
8)

I like 11 and 12 also and the PC 'Scapegoat' and PC 3 which has a great tune in the finale.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on April 11, 2018, 08:08:53 AM

Johan, you won't be disappointed when you continue your exploration of this very fine composer.  I also enjoy his large-scale oratorios so after you exhaust the symphonies, there is much else to explore.

cilgwyn

Aha,the "modify" function is back (with me) at last!! :)

cilgwyn

I've received the Lyrita cd of 6 & 7. My father only has a cheap cd player I left there,with fairly basic sound quality,at best. (It also looks like one of those apes in the movie franchise,if you look at it the right way!! ??? ;D). I can listen to it in much better sound,now I'm back! Interestigly,I expected not to like the Sixth. Lightweight it may be,and I doubt it will be a favourite;but it really shows off Lloyd's talent for orchestration;and a lovely slow movement. If you fancy a nice,lightweight symphony by a fairly recent composer,this could be just your cup of tea. I will pore over the meatier Seventh a little later. It's nice to listen to them in succession,by the way. The booklet notes observe that the Sixth is probably (or is,I forget?) the best of Llloyd's lighter symphony forays.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: relm1 on April 11, 2018, 04:53:22 PM
Johan, you won't be disappointed when you continue your exploration of this very fine composer.  I also enjoy his large-scale oratorios so after you exhaust the symphonies, there is much else to explore.

Good suggestion! I did listen to his Symphonic Mass. But only the once. There is a lot still to get to know.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on April 11, 2018, 03:29:44 PM
Excellent Johan - it's amazing that she had time to compose between solving all those mysterious and complicated murder cases.
8)

I like 11 and 12 also and the PC 'Scapegoat' and PC 3 which has a great tune in the finale.

She was an amazing lady.

11, 12 and the two PCs will be listened to in due course...

Maestro267

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on April 13, 2018, 02:22:13 AM
Good suggestion! I did listen to his Symphonic Mass. But only the once. There is a lot still to get to know.

The Symphonic Mass is one of my favourite British choral works. The climax of the Sanctus is spectacular! I've also got The Vigil of Venus and A Litany, but I haven't listened to those as often.

cilgwyn

There isn't a Ruth Gipps thread;but I wonder if vandermolen (or anyone else who is interested in this composer) is aware  that Chandos are going to be releasing a cd of Ruth Gipps' Symphonies 2 & 4. You can view the artwork on the MDT website!

Maestro267

I've ordered Lloyd's recording of Symphony No. 5, so I'm looking forward to hearing that. At close to an hour in length, a rather substantial symphony.

J.Z. Herrenberg

That symphony has really grown on me. At the moment my favourite Lloyd symphonies are 5, 6, 7 and 9.

relm1

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on July 27, 2018, 07:11:15 AM
That symphony has really grown on me. At the moment my favourite Lloyd symphonies are 5, 6, 7 and 9.

4 will soon be added to that list. :)

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on July 27, 2018, 04:16:52 PM
4 will soon be added to that list. :)

4 is my favourite and I prefer Edward Downes's recording that the one conducted by the composer, although that is good as well. Other than that 7,8,11 and 12 remain my favourites. I especially like the slow movement of No.8 -must listen to it again.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

Strange,you miss out the Fifth?! That has to be one of the very best. I remember hearing it on the radio and recording it on cassette. It stayed in my mind. It was years before I got around to buying a cd,though! I must admit I can't make any headway with the Eighth,despite repeated attempts. Yet,I believe that was the work that kick started the revival of interest in George Lloyd's music.

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 28, 2018, 01:56:56 AM
Strange,you miss out the Fifth?! That has to be one of the very best. I remember hearing it on the radio and recording it on cassette. It stayed in my mind. It was years before I got around to buying a cd,though! I must admit I can't make any headway with the Eighth,despite repeated attempts. Yet,I believe that was the work that kick started the revival of interest in George Lloyd's music.

I like No.5 but haven't heard it for ages.

relm1

I love Edward Downes's Lyrita release of Symphony No. 6 and 7.  This is a very thrilling interpretation of No. 7, I think beating the composer's own version.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: relm1 on July 28, 2018, 05:40:02 AM
I love Edward Downes's Lyrita release of Symphony No. 6 and 7.  This is a very thrilling interpretation of No. 7, I think beating the composer's own version.
I almost agree with you, were it not for the fact that I think the main climax of the first movement is marginally more powerful under Lloyd himself.

Maestro267

At the moment, my Lloyd collection consists of Symphonies Nos. 1, 4, 7 & 12 (with No. 5 coming this week all being well), plus The Vigil of Venus, Symphonic Mass and A Litany, although I haven't heard the latter as often. I gave The Vigil of Venus a rare spin the other day. I enjoy the music, but I have trouble following the text of that one. And at 78 minutes it's quite lengthy so I don't often have the capacity to tackle such a work.

relm1

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on July 28, 2018, 07:01:53 AM
I almost agree with you, were it not for the fact that I think the main climax of the first movement is marginally more powerful under Lloyd himself.

But the work comes together in its final movement.  That is where Downes really shines.  Please hear it again. 

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: relm1 on July 28, 2018, 04:13:01 PM
But the work comes together in its final movement.  That is where Downes really shines.  Please hear it again.
I know what you mean. I had the piece on a loop in both performances, so revisiting it again isn't necessary. The fact remains - for me, that is - that the first climax comes off even stronger in the Lloyd. Both performances are great. And the work itself is a masterpiece.