George Lloyd

Started by Thom, April 14, 2007, 12:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

I only have #11 and loved it!
Maybe I should venture into a few more works.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

cilgwyn

I got one of those "click" moments about two weeks ago. I had just lifted a heavy barbell onto my shoulders. Unfortunately,it was my back!! ??? :(

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 20, 2019, 12:57:58 AM
I got one of those "click" moments about two weeks ago. I had just lifted a heavy barbell onto my shoulders. Unfortunately,it was my back!! ??? :(

Ai...

'Back' to Lloyd: as I said, 3-9 are all good, with 7 and 9 being special favourites.

Two things I noticed about the Third  Symphony: the ending is very Brianic, and the second theme of the first movement uncannily predicts a similar theme in Khatchaturian's Second Symphony.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

arpeggio

Whenever some misinformed self proclaimed expert bemoans the lack of tonal 20th century music, Lloyd is one of the composers I use to counter their claim.

cilgwyn

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on March 20, 2019, 01:11:17 AM

Ai...

'Back' to Lloyd: as I said, 3-9 are all good, with 7 and 9 being special favourites.

Two things I noticed about the Third  Symphony: the ending is very Brianic, and the second theme of the first movement uncannily predicts a similar theme in Khatchaturian's Second Symphony.
I haven't heard that one. Would you recommend the third,Johan? A Brianic ending (!) and I like Khatchaturian,at his best!

J.Z. Herrenberg

I would certainly recommend it. It's very compact, a nice mix of power and beauty. The start of the third movement really sounds like Brian, it also starts the Coda. After that you get a triumphant peroration with a very prominent 'added-sixth' chord. Quite exhilarating. It's on YouTube.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Thanks for the reply,Johan. I'll have a listen there first. I'm trying to resist cd's for now. The old bank account. Don't want it getting too threadbare. I even put a block on websites selling cd's;but got around it by sending off a cheque to a shop that still sends out paper lists ::)! Remember those?!

By the way,if anyone here is ever without an internet connection ::) :(,they're called Classics Direct. They advertise in Gramophone,and I find them very good! They have special offers on certain labels;but enough advertising! ;D I was able to buy a new Brian cd,I seem to remember,when my pc went down,about a year,or two,back! Posting a letter,with a cheque,for a cd,feels so strange,now! To think I used to do it all the time (and po's when I was younger!)

NB: The cd I ordered by cheque,is the Lyrita cd of Rootham's First Symphony. My copy was,actually,a paid for download. Although,before that I had an off air tape. (I know,vandermolen likes that one!)

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 20, 2019, 03:30:56 AM
Thanks for the reply,Johan. I'll have a listen there first. I'm trying to resist cd's for now. The old bank account. Don't want it getting too threadbare. I even put a block on websites selling cd's;but got around it by sending off a cheque to a shop that still sends out paper lists ::)! Remember those?!

By the way,if anyone here is ever without an internet connection ::) :(,they're called Classics Direct. They advertise in Gramophone,and I find them very good! They have special offers on certain labels;but enough advertising! ;D I was able to buy a new Brian cd,I seem to remember,when my pc went down,about a year,or two,back! Posting a letter,with a cheque,for a cd,feels so strange,now! To think I used to do it all the time (and po's when I was younger!)

NB: The cd I ordered by cheque,is the Lyrita cd of Rootham's First Symphony. My copy was,actually,a paid for download. Although,before that I had an off air tape. (I know,vandermolen likes that one!)
Yes, I do although Christo doesn't  8)
The Second is very moving, especially the choral finale, dictated to his student Patrick Hadley in the last few days of his (Rootham's) life. Rootham was the teacher of Bliss and I think that you can see Rootham's influence in Bliss's music. Going back to GL I hardly know Symphony 3 and must rectify that, especially after Johan's comments.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

I have a feeling having the actual cd,with all the booklet notes, might help?! I must admit,I really do like the artwork,for some reason. I also like Holbrooke;although,even if you like his music,and I actually do,it's not him at his best (pleasant as I think it is!). I haven't heard the Bantock Overture! I also had an off air recording of the symphony conducted by Andrew Davis,I believe? I might still have it? Unfortunately,the sound has some fault (I think it starts well and switches to one channel?!!). A pity;as it would be interesting to hear another recording. I might try & upload it;but mucking about with Audacity almost has me yearning for the days of cassette recording!

cilgwyn

I'm a bit of a fan of "original Lp artwork' for cd reissues. In the case of some Lyrita reissues,it could be difficult,of course;but I just looked up the original Lp and was confronted by this!!!

And,erm.........................................back to George Lloyd?!! ???

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 20, 2019, 05:09:14 AM
I have a feeling having the actual cd,with all the booklet notes, might help?! I must admit,I really do like the artwork,for some reason. I also like Holbrooke;although,even if you like his music,and I actually do,it's not him at his best (pleasant as I think it is!). I haven't heard the Bantock Overture! I also had an off air recording of the symphony conducted by Andrew Davis,I believe? I might still have it? Unfortunately,the sound has some fault (I think it starts well and switches to one channel?!!). A pity;as it would be interesting to hear another recording. I might try & upload it;but mucking about with Audacity almost has me yearning for the days of cassette recording!

I have the LP, the CD and a CD copy of the LP made before the CD was released  ::) yes, the booklet notes and art work are all part of the experience as far as I'm concerned. The CD cover is much better than the LP design. Keith Hensby was the graphic artist who produced all those LP designs. He was certainly alive and well and still designing a few years ago. I like the Bantock overture more than the Holbrooke. Partly due to your influence I think I have come to appreciate Holbrooke more in recent years. Yes, back to GL! Symphonies 4,7,11,8, 12 and 5 are my favourites, probably in that order
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on March 19, 2019, 10:33:36 AMI loved symphonies 3-9, except 8. But last week the piece suddenly 'clicked' with me, too. Don't know why. It simply convinced me, and that final movement is incredibly exciting.

The last time I listened to all the symphonies, one right after another, the Eighth came in almost dead last when I ranked them. My problem was that last movement which I found too long, too frantic, too unvaried. But perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for it. I'll give it another try. Right now 7, 5 and 4 remain my favorites.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 20, 2019, 05:45:13 AM
But perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for it. I'll give it another try.

Who knows? For one reason or another I suddenly was able to go along with what this symphony was doing. And so that final movement really came off. 

Papy Oli

Really enjoying a similar journey through his symphonies. I have equally liked 4 through to 8 up to now (a couple of listens each to date). 10 is the only only one I have found really underwhelming so far. Listening to 11 as we speak and getting nicely drawn in that sound world again.

I have yet to hear 3, although I have had a run through Charade on that same CD, quirky and ok but nothing more.

2/9 & 1/11 are awaiting nicely in the basket and will be invested in before long to complete the cycle  0:)
Olivier

cilgwyn

Quote from: vandermolen on March 20, 2019, 05:35:38 AM
I have the LP, the CD and a CD copy of the LP made before the CD was released  ::) yes, the booklet notes and art work are all part of the experience as far as I'm concerned. The CD cover is much better than the LP design. Keith Hensby was the graphic artist who produced all those LP designs. He was certainly alive and well and still designing a few years ago. I like the Bantock overture more than the Holbrooke. Partly due to your influence I think I have come to appreciate Holbrooke more in recent years. Yes, back to GL! Symphonies 4,7,11,8, 12 and 5 are my favourites, probably in that order
Actually,the Rootham Lp isn't that bad! It's like he was trying to create some kind of celtic imagery (those ornate brooches and jewellry). The Bax ones were terrible,though!

I still wouldn't rate the eighth as one of my favourites;but I listened to it last night,and I did enjoy it! He really could orchestrate! Oh,and great hair,too!! ;D :)

cilgwyn

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 20, 2019, 08:04:12 AM
Really enjoying a similar journey through his symphonies. I have equally liked 4 through to 8 up to now (a couple of listens each to date). 10 is the only only one I have found really underwhelming so far. Listening to 11 as we speak and getting nicely drawn in that sound world again.

I have yet to hear 3, although I have had a run through Charade on that same CD, quirky and ok but nothing more.

2/9 & 1/11 are awaiting nicely in the basket and will be invested in before long to complete the cycle  0:)
Glad you're enjoying his music! :)

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 20, 2019, 09:40:31 AM
Actually,the Rootham Lp isn't that bad! It's like he was trying to create some kind of celtic imagery (those ornate brooches and jewellry). The Bax ones were terrible,though!

I still wouldn't rate the eighth as one of my favourites;but I listened to it last night,and I did enjoy it! He really could orchestrate! Oh,and great hair,too!! ;D :)

Yes, here's the LP cover of Bax's Symphony 6 is ghastly green. Maybe someone who didn't like the symphony has attacked the LP sleeve on the right hand side by scraping at it with their fingernails, in the spirit (no pun intended) of 'The Lady in Black'   >:D

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Is there anything resembling a consensus on Lloyd's most successful symphony, i.e. a place to start?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 20, 2019, 09:58:33 AM
Is there anything resembling a consensus on Lloyd's most successful symphony, i.e. a place to start?

As far as I'm concerned: Symphony No. 7.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 20, 2019, 09:58:33 AM

Most successful? That's a tough question. In terms of what it meant to Lloyd, I'd suggest 4. But 7 is my favorite by a small margin over 4 and 5.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"