Author Topic: George Lloyd  (Read 57094 times)

Online Maestro267

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Myaskovsky, Schnittke, Pettersson and others
Re: George Lloyd
« Reply #360 on: August 18, 2020, 05:25:29 AM »
After some posts in the "Blown away" thread, I'm revisiting the Seventh Symphony, and I have some observations:

1. Is the first movement a rare example of a symphony opening with a Scherzo? It certainly feels light and dancey for a lot of its duration.

2. With each listen, I realize more and more just how gorgeous the slow movement is.

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #361 on: August 18, 2020, 05:57:20 AM »
After some posts in the "Blown away" thread, I'm revisiting the Seventh Symphony, and I have some observations:

1. Is the first movement a rare example of a symphony opening with a Scherzo? It certainly feels light and dancey for a lot of its duration.

2. With each listen, I realize more and more just how gorgeous the slow movement is.

It's fine music.  It's not a scherzo but is a waltz so does feel like a ballet as the second subject.  Yes, this is gorgeous!

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #362 on: August 18, 2020, 12:05:14 PM »

1. Interesting point. The fact that it’s in quick triple time (most likely 3/8 or 6/8, I haven’t seen the score) probably contributes to this, and I agree about its balletic nature. Of course, it certainly carries the requisite weight, argument, and drama of a truly symphonic opening movement.

2. And yes, when the music “blossoms” halfway through the slow movement with the tune in the celli, it’s certainly a glorious moment! Lloyd does a similar thing in the slow movement of the 4th Symphony where the music eventually “opens up” gloriously after a rather austere opening.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #363 on: November 20, 2020, 07:49:26 AM »
Some of you might enjoy this musical analysis of George Lloyd's Symphony No. 7
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Nov/Lloyd-symphony7-analysis.htm

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #364 on: November 20, 2020, 08:16:32 AM »
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Nov/Lloyd-symphony7-analysis.htm

Thanks very much for sharing, Karim! This masterpiece certainly deserves the in-depth analysis you’ve given it.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #365 on: November 21, 2020, 07:13:22 AM »
Thanks very much for sharing, Karim! This masterpiece certainly deserves the in-depth analysis you’ve given it.
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #366 on: November 22, 2020, 05:10:08 PM »
Thank you!  I hope it helps expose this unjustly neglected composer to more audiences. 

Offline foxandpeng

Mostly post-1900. Brits. Northern Europeans. Others.
« Reply #367 on: June 11, 2021, 11:26:00 AM »

This is excellent. I've heard Symphony #7 three times in the last couple of days, with this as a plumbline. Thank you for a readable and informative guide to this very enjoyable work. I'm planning to acquaint myself with as many of Lloyd's symphonies as I can, and this is a super starting point. As a programmatic work to the story of Proserpine, there's lots to enjoy. The slow movement is a work of art.

Offline foxandpeng

« Reply #368 on: June 13, 2021, 04:02:56 AM »
Thank you for this thread. I've really enjoyed reading the discussion of the actual works that I've been hearing and found them valuable and illuminating.

Online Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #369 on: June 13, 2021, 07:14:21 AM »
It's funny. The recording I have doesn't make as big a deal of the Proserpine thing so I've never seen it as a programmatic symphony.

Offline foxandpeng

« Reply #370 on: June 13, 2021, 07:42:01 AM »
It's funny. The recording I have doesn't make as big a deal of the Proserpine thing so I've never seen it as a programmatic symphony.

I may be over-egging it to suggest programmatic, but I can see how the story of Proserpine could be tracked through the movements in the way the music progresses. It's been quite a discovery for me.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #371 on: August 18, 2021, 01:05:06 PM »
I am  newcomer to this thread  8)

Lloyd: Symphony No. 1 [Lloyd]

This is my first exposure to this composer’s symphonies. I very much like what I have heard in this work alone. Symphony No. 1 was, for me, both a breath of fresh air and a tour de force. I really like the craftsmanship of this first symphony. I believe that it has quite a lot to say both musically and emotionally. I very much like the sweep of the work. It is both very well crafted and constructed. I enjoyed the tension, excitement, emotion and the drama of this work. It is both bold and powerful and it makes quite a musical statement. I really like the essential Life Force of this work. I am really very much impressed, thus far, whilst, obviously, only beginning to encounter his oeuvre.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Online Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #372 on: August 18, 2021, 08:48:42 PM »
Awesome! I do like the First even though I haven't listened to it anywhere near as often as the Twelfth Symphony on the same disc.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #373 on: August 18, 2021, 09:54:35 PM »
Awesome! I do like the First even though I haven't listened to it anywhere near as often as the Twelfth Symphony on the same disc.

Yes, same here. 4,5,7,8,11 and 12 are my favourites. I also like the piano concertos 'Scapegoat', 3 and 4.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #374 on: August 19, 2021, 06:30:44 AM »
A fascinating journey waits for you, aligreto! If you enjoyed the 1st, you'll love most of the next ones, I suspect.
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline Albion

• Alexander Campbell Mackenzie (1847-1935)
« Reply #375 on: August 21, 2021, 12:37:22 AM »
I wish Albany would release their Lloyd symphony recordings all together in a budget box (if they have, I've missed it). A real composer of quality, whose romantic idiom was sadly out-of-step with the prevailing trends for much of his life.

:)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 12:40:38 AM by Albion »
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Offline J.Z. Herrenberg

• Veteran member
  • William Havergal Brian, symphonist (1876-1972)
    • JZH Text Services
    Bruckner, Brian, Graener, Langgaard, Juon...
« Reply #376 on: August 21, 2021, 03:03:42 AM »
 ;D
'Symphony, she wrote' (title for a later Miss Marple series)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 04:38:24 AM by J.Z. Herrenberg »
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Online Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #377 on: August 21, 2021, 03:49:02 AM »
Does Albany even still exist as a record label?

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #378 on: August 21, 2021, 04:03:44 AM »
;D
'Symphony, she wrote' (title for a later Mrs Marple series)
Indeed!
 ;D

Offline J.Z. Herrenberg

• Veteran member
  • William Havergal Brian, symphonist (1876-1972)
    • JZH Text Services
    Bruckner, Brian, Graener, Langgaard, Juon...
« Reply #379 on: August 21, 2021, 04:41:52 AM »
Indeed!
 ;D

I was in doubt about Miss/Mrs... Corrected. (Though in some circles the whole difference is seen as bad.)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato