George Lloyd

Started by Thom, April 14, 2007, 12:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on September 04, 2021, 08:29:29 AM
You're in for a treat. Lloyd's music is of a consistent high quality. It's tuneful, but not trite. It's mainly positive, but not shallow (he certainly plunges the depths in the Seventh). I love this music very much. And if you know something about his life, his achievement borders on the miraculous. A great composer and a great human being.

+1 I couldn't agree more! It's great seeing so much enthusiasm for Lloyd on this forum. His music has brought me tremendous pleasure over the past few years.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: kyjo on September 18, 2021, 02:46:33 PM
+1 I couldn't agree more! It's great seeing so much enthusiasm for Lloyd on this forum. His music has brought me tremendous pleasure over the past few years.
Nice! I find it wonderful that I can share my enthusiasm with others. Lloyd's music is uplifting, and we need that very much. Long may he live on!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

aligreto

Quote from: kyjo on September 18, 2021, 02:46:33 PM

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on September 18, 2021, 02:49:54 PM
Nice! I find it wonderful that I can share my enthusiasm with others. Lloyd's music is uplifting, and we need that very much. Long may he live on!

I am trying to do my best to help carry the torch.  :)

kyjo

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on September 18, 2021, 02:49:54 PM

Indeed, Lloyd's uplifting and life-affirming (except for the 7th Symphony ;)) music has been a real asset to me during some trying times over the past year and a half!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

I can't get enough of Lloyd's HMS Trinidad March! It contains the essence of his style condensed into 6 minutes of music, along with some of the catchiest tunes you've ever heard! Here's the orchestral version: https://youtu.be/rdBRYmoCaFo

aligreto

Quote from: kyjo on September 19, 2021, 08:16:06 AM
I can't get enough of Lloyd's HMS Trinidad March! It contains the essence of his style condensed into 6 minutes of music, along with some of the catchiest tunes you've ever heard! Here's the orchestral version: https://youtu.be/rdBRYmoCaFo

Thank you for posting that link. I will certainly give it a listen.

Symphonic Addict

Very cool, Kyle. I need to hear this!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

aligreto

I finally got around to giving HMS Trinidad March a listen. Enjoyable.

vandermolen

It features on this excellent CD - also worth having for the Judith Bailey works:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vers la flamme

It's always an odd feeling seeing so much enthusiastic discussion about a composer about whom I know absolutely nothing. Is there a work any one of y'all would recommend to someone like me who has never heard a quaver of this George Lloyd's music?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 25, 2021, 10:19:59 AM
It's always an odd feeling seeing so much enthusiastic discussion about a composer about whom I know absolutely nothing. Is there a work any one of y'all would recommend to someone like me who has never heard a quaver of this George Lloyd's music?

I think that if you only heard Lloyd's Seventh Symphony, you'd get the best introduction possible.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vers la flamme

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on September 25, 2021, 10:27:02 AM

I think that if you only heard Lloyd's Seventh Symphony, you'd get the best introduction possible.

Exactly the kind of answer I was looking for, thanks. Is there a performance you like?

J.Z. Herrenberg

You cannot go wrong with the recording reviewed here (also includes No. 6): http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2017/Oct/Lloyd_sys_REAM1135.htm

The recording with the composer himself is excellent, too.

(Both on YouTube, if you like to have a taster.)

Maestro267

The Seventh was my introduction to Lloyd's music. I remember being blown away by the huge climax to the finale, thinking at the time it was one of the most cataclysmic things I'd ever heard.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 25, 2021, 12:29:14 PM
The Seventh was my introduction to Lloyd's music. I remember being blown away by the huge climax to the finale, thinking at the time it was one of the most cataclysmic things I'd ever heard.

Yes, it's a stunning moment. It carries the weight of the whole symphony, and, perhaps, of Lloyd's whole symphonic oeuvre (something claimed for the main climax of Bax's Sixth, which I always find a bit underwhelming...).

P.S. Another cataclysm - the climax of Reinhold Glière's Third Symphony, also in a Downes performance...

relm1

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 25, 2021, 10:19:59 AM

You might also find my musical analysis of this work worth reviewing first.
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Nov/Lloyd-symphony7-analysis.htm

Maestro267

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on September 25, 2021, 02:11:51 PM

Yes, it's a stunning moment. It carries the weight of the whole symphony, and, perhaps, of Lloyd's whole symphonic oeuvre (something claimed for the main climax of Bax's Sixth, which I always find a bit underwhelming...).

P.S. Another cataclysm - the climax of Reinhold Glière's Third Symphony, also in a Downes performance...

Yes, that is exactly what I compared it to when I first heard it!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 25, 2021, 10:42:44 PM
Yes, that is exactly what I compared it to when I first heard it!

Nice!

vandermolen

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on September 25, 2021, 10:27:02 AM

+1 or Symphony No.4
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on September 25, 2021, 02:11:51 PM

+1 (again  ;D)
Agree with your comments on Bax's 6th (I've come to appreciate it more in the recordings by Thomson and Lloyd-Jones) and Gliere.