Author Topic: George Lloyd  (Read 56905 times)

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
Re: George Lloyd
« Reply #400 on: September 18, 2021, 01:46:33 PM »
You're in for a treat. Lloyd's music is of a consistent high quality. It's tuneful, but not trite. It's mainly positive, but not shallow (he certainly plunges the depths in the Seventh). I love this music very much. And if you know something about his life, his achievement borders on the miraculous. A great composer and a great human being.

+1 I couldn’t agree more! It’s great seeing so much enthusiasm for Lloyd on this forum. His music has brought me tremendous pleasure over the past few years.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline J.Z. Herrenberg

• Veteran member
  • William Havergal Brian, symphonist (1876-1972)
    • JZH Text Services
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bruckner, Brian, Graener, Langgaard, Juon...
« Reply #401 on: September 18, 2021, 01:49:54 PM »
+1 I couldn’t agree more! It’s great seeing so much enthusiasm for Lloyd on this forum. His music has brought me tremendous pleasure over the past few years.
Nice! I find it wonderful that I can share my enthusiasm with others. Lloyd's music is uplifting, and we need that very much. Long may he live on!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #402 on: September 19, 2021, 01:08:54 AM »

Nice! I find it wonderful that I can share my enthusiasm with others. Lloyd's music is uplifting, and we need that very much. Long may he live on!

I am trying to do my best to help carry the torch.  :)
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
« Reply #403 on: September 19, 2021, 07:13:00 AM »

Indeed, Lloyd’s uplifting and life-affirming (except for the 7th Symphony ;)) music has been a real asset to me during some trying times over the past year and a half!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
« Reply #404 on: September 19, 2021, 07:16:06 AM »
I can’t get enough of Lloyd’s HMS Trinidad March! It contains the essence of his style condensed into 6 minutes of music, along with some of the catchiest tunes you’ve ever heard! Here’s the orchestral version: https://youtu.be/rdBRYmoCaFo

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #405 on: September 19, 2021, 01:07:52 PM »
I can’t get enough of Lloyd’s HMS Trinidad March! It contains the essence of his style condensed into 6 minutes of music, along with some of the catchiest tunes you’ve ever heard! Here’s the orchestral version: https://youtu.be/rdBRYmoCaFo

Thank you for posting that link. I will certainly give it a listen.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #406 on: September 19, 2021, 03:48:55 PM »

Very cool, Kyle. I need to hear this!
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #407 on: September 25, 2021, 06:00:30 AM »

I finally got around to giving HMS Trinidad March a listen. Enjoyable.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #408 on: September 25, 2021, 07:29:30 AM »
It features on this excellent CD - also worth having for the Judith Bailey works:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #409 on: September 25, 2021, 09:19:59 AM »
It's always an odd feeling seeing so much enthusiastic discussion about a composer about whom I know absolutely nothing. Is there a work any one of y'all would recommend to someone like me who has never heard a quaver of this George Lloyd's music?

Offline J.Z. Herrenberg

• Veteran member
    • JZH Text Services
« Reply #410 on: September 25, 2021, 09:27:02 AM »
It's always an odd feeling seeing so much enthusiastic discussion about a composer about whom I know absolutely nothing. Is there a work any one of y'all would recommend to someone like me who has never heard a quaver of this George Lloyd's music?

I think that if you only heard Lloyd's Seventh Symphony, you'd get the best introduction possible.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #411 on: September 25, 2021, 09:31:07 AM »

I think that if you only heard Lloyd's Seventh Symphony, you'd get the best introduction possible.

Exactly the kind of answer I was looking for, thanks. Is there a performance you like?

Offline J.Z. Herrenberg

• Veteran member
    • JZH Text Services
« Reply #412 on: September 25, 2021, 10:19:19 AM »
You cannot go wrong with the recording reviewed here (also includes No. 6): http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2017/Oct/Lloyd_sys_REAM1135.htm

The recording with the composer himself is excellent, too.

(Both on YouTube, if you like to have a taster.)

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
    Myaskovsky, Schnittke, Pettersson and others
« Reply #413 on: September 25, 2021, 11:29:14 AM »
The Seventh was my introduction to Lloyd's music. I remember being blown away by the huge climax to the finale, thinking at the time it was one of the most cataclysmic things I'd ever heard.

Offline J.Z. Herrenberg

• Veteran member
    • JZH Text Services
« Reply #414 on: September 25, 2021, 01:11:51 PM »
The Seventh was my introduction to Lloyd's music. I remember being blown away by the huge climax to the finale, thinking at the time it was one of the most cataclysmic things I'd ever heard.

Yes, it's a stunning moment. It carries the weight of the whole symphony, and, perhaps, of Lloyd's whole symphonic oeuvre (something claimed for the main climax of Bax's Sixth, which I always find a bit underwhelming...).

P.S. Another cataclysm - the climax of Reinhold Glière's Third Symphony, also in a Downes performance...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 01:33:02 PM by J.Z. Herrenberg »

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #415 on: September 25, 2021, 04:18:11 PM »

You might also find my musical analysis of this work worth reviewing first.
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Nov/Lloyd-symphony7-analysis.htm

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
    Myaskovsky, Schnittke, Pettersson and others
« Reply #416 on: September 25, 2021, 09:42:44 PM »

Yes, it's a stunning moment. It carries the weight of the whole symphony, and, perhaps, of Lloyd's whole symphonic oeuvre (something claimed for the main climax of Bax's Sixth, which I always find a bit underwhelming...).

P.S. Another cataclysm - the climax of Reinhold Glière's Third Symphony, also in a Downes performance...

Yes, that is exactly what I compared it to when I first heard it!

Offline J.Z. Herrenberg

• Veteran member
    • JZH Text Services
« Reply #417 on: September 25, 2021, 09:44:10 PM »
Yes, that is exactly what I compared it to when I first heard it!

Nice!

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #418 on: September 26, 2021, 12:36:55 AM »

+1 or Symphony No.4
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #419 on: September 26, 2021, 12:39:20 AM »

+1 (again  ;D)
Agree with your comments on Bax's 6th (I've come to appreciate it more in the recordings by Thomson and Lloyd-Jones) and Gliere.